Quick braid question.

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".

Best Line For Spinning Reels

PowerPro
48%
Fireline
15%
Suffix
37%

Total votes: 46

WNYfisher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Quick braid question.

Post by WNYfisher » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:59 pm

I'm looking to put braid on my spinning reel and was wondering what is better...Suffix...Power Pro or Fireline.

Thanks
Last edited by WNYfisher on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Quick braid question.

Post by Oolie » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:10 pm

most agree that sufix is the best because it holds a round shape.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:46 pm

On my spinning reels I always use Fireline. PowerPro on the baitcasters. Haven't tried Sufix.

padavid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by padavid » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:22 am

I have used all three and each has there advantages and disadvantages ( I know, this does not really help)

I like Power Pro, I am used to it, get a really smooth cast and it last forever.

sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sony » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:19 am

I have fished both pp and fireline, and I like how fireline "molds" to the spool. Fireline gets my vote.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:24 am

I prefer...

Fireline on spinning reels up to 14 pound test.
Suffix on spinning reels over 14 pound test.
Suffix on casting reels at any pound test.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:37 am

It may have to to do with the color they put on it and maybe it was done intentionally to minimize windknots; Power Pro is a bit stiff when it's new and it can behave a little bit like mono in that it coils when you unwind it off the spool. This is exactly what I don't like about it. You can have portions of the line that are very supple and some that are stiff. It gives me headaches because it aggravates the problem of the line packing loose on the spool when using light baits. I still have Power Pro on my reels but I'm slowly shifting to Tuf Line XP and I may also try SPB.

I also use Fireline up to 10lbs on my spinning reels. Only thing I don't like about it is it seems to be flat but it's not much of an issue in the lower ratings.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:21 am

I'm not sure that Fireline is really a braid...it didn't say so on the box, and a local tackle shop owner said that it's not a braid but a polymer of some type...

Would appreciate confirmation...

I use both Sufix and PowerPro on my spinning reels...but Sufix comes in 10 and 20 lb test, but no 15 lb...and I wanted to use 15, so I went to Power Pro. I have spooled some reels with 20 lb Sufix...

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:52 pm

Fred, Fireline is made from Dyneema; the majority of braids are made from Spectra. Dyneema and Spectra are essentially identical polyethylenes. The difference between Fireline and braids rests in their manufacturing process: as their name suggests, Fireline microfibers are fused together, whereas the fibers in braids are ... braided. \:D/
Both are known as "superlines" with similar characteristics. Among the characteristics that interest anglers are the following: they have a high strength/diameter ratio, no stretch to speak of, are very limp, highly resistant to UV, and do not absorb water.
Last edited by Fishingelbow on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leo33
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leo33 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:48 pm

i have switched to spiderline stealth.i find that it does not bury it self like power pro.

WNYfisher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by WNYfisher » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:58 pm

I was also wondering if I should put mono backing on my reel.

padavid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by padavid » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:33 am

WNYfisher wrote:I was also wondering if I should put mono backing on my reel.

For me that all depends on the capacity of the reel and type of fishing that I plan to do with it. The backing does a few things:

As you let line out, the diameter of the spool decreases (duh!) this changes the ratio. For say offshore bottom fishing (which we do in 300-500 feet of water for sea bass and up to 900 feet for tile fish!!) you want to keep that ratio up otherwise you crank forever to get the fish in. In those instances I use a mono backer with lots of braid on top to keep that spool as large a possible. For SM bass fishing with small gear, I fill the entire reel with braid

I will also take and reverse my line at least a few times each season. I take the reel w/ the older braid and spool the line onto a 2nd reel. Then I spool that on a 3rd reel and then back to my original reel thereby using the "fresh" line that was at the bottom of the reel. I do not bother with the backer in those instances becuase it just makes the process more complicated.

A big benefit to using a backer is that you use less braid (which is a lot more expensive then mono) additionally, it can help prevent line slip if you have that problem.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:23 am

Fishingelbow wrote:Fred, Fireline is made from Dyneema; the majority of braids are made from Spectra. Dyneema and Spectra are essentially identical polyethylenes. The difference between Fireline and braids rests in their manufacturing process: as their name suggests, Fireline microfibers are fused together, whereas the fibers in braids are ... braided. \:D/
Both are known as "superlines" with similar characteristics. Among the characteristics that interest anglers are the following: they have a high strength/diameter ratio, no stretch to speak of, are very limp, highly resistant to UV, and do not absorb water.
Many thanks for the comprehensive and very informative reply...I will copy your message and send it to my daughter who has a degree in chemistry...she can probably enlighten me even more...

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:30 pm

I fish just with spinning reel and for 4lb. i like fireline and for 6lb.-10lb.i like SPIDERWIRE ULTRACAST.
I fish on the bank in fresh and salt water and i don't need super line over 10lb.All the time i use fluorocarbon leader 2lb.-15lb.

jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jtrotter » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:29 am

NO body has even mentioned the Stren SuperBraid. I find it has less wind knots and retains its color better than Power Pro... Just giving the Suffix a try but like it so far...