high cost of tackle and the falling dollar?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

high cost of tackle and the falling dollar?

Post by sony » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:28 pm

I was just wondering if the extreme high price of tackle is due to the falling dollar. After all, imports like the Shimano Curado have gone from 119.00 to nearly 200.00. Swimbaits go for up to 150.00 dollars. These tackle companies are either making a 500% profit, or our dollar just doesn't compare. Perhaps its just the fact that we are willing to pay the price????

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: high cost of tackle and the falling dollar?

Post by Oolie » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:49 pm

i think it is that more people are becoming tackle enthusiasts, as more people try expensive new tackle, demand grows and now is booming.

enjoy it while it lasts.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:09 pm

sony wrote:I was just wondering if the extreme high price of tackle is due to the falling dollar. After all, imports like the Shimano Curado have gone from 119.00 to nearly 200.00. Swimbaits go for up to 150.00 dollars. These tackle companies are either making a 500% profit, or our dollar just doesn't compare. Perhaps its just the fact that we are willing to pay the price????
Actually the new Curado has very little to do with the older Curado to the point the only thing both reels share is the same name. The new Citica has better features than the old Curado BSF so you are saving 30 dollars and getting a better reel than the old BSF for the same price of the old Curado.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:10 pm

Cost of raw materials, ie metals, is also part of it...along with demand.

I really don't think it is anywhere near 500% from manufacturing cost to retail but there probably is a good profit on the high-end gear for retail...and that is how it should be.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:30 am

in any case, the weak dollar gives me a 40% discount on any tackle I buy in dollars!! I'm lovin'it!!!

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:52 am

Fbass wrote:in any case, the weak dollar gives me a 40% discount on any tackle I buy in dollars!! I'm lovin'it!!!
I'd rather live in the good ole USA, and pay more! :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:26 am

Amen to that brother!

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:43 pm

;)

daleo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daleo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Well boys, we can't all live in the USA, but we can certainly spend our money there. I've bought 3 reels in the USA this year, with the dollar being what it is, I can buy a Curado 100/200 on line for $165 - $175. Same reel up here is $268 CDN + tax = $300. I'm certainly not complaining and I thank you for the opportunity to buy a good product at a decent price.

Again thank you, DaleO.

eastfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eastfisher » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:52 am

I second that one. I'm barely buying anything here anymore. Hell I even made a few trips across the border just to save money. I wouldnt complain guys a reel is usually $50-$75 dollars more here sometimes even more. Now that are dollar is at per I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Florian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Florian » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:13 am

Don't wanna offend anybody, but having lived in the US and Europe I must say I am very very glad to be back in Europe.

Every now and then I still buy tackle in the US and visit my friends in MA.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:31 am

Yes, the USA has a lot of fault, including the General Public's unbridled arrongance of thinking that we are unequivocably "Number One" in the World.

However, that being said, certain things here are still more advantageous than in other places in the World...and other certain things are definitely more primitive.

All Empires/Civilizations seed, root, grow, peak and fall...as will the USA...

Just nowhere near the next few generations...Thankfully.

SORRY FOR THE OFF TOPIC RAMBLE. :oops:

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:37 am

That's very nice, so we are all happy about where we live. Even people in North Korea living in the harshest situation believe that there's no place on earth better than home! What a strange animal we are!
Now that we have that said we can talk tackle again!

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:30 am

I believe the main reason that rods and reels are getting more and more expensive is the consumers' willingness to pay for them in high prices. If we look at the reels out there, most reels cost more than 200 dollars are not dramatically better in performance than those under 100 dollars. The differences are minimal. There will be some differences in materials and ball bearings. Actually, a 10 ball bearing reel is not much better than a 6 ball bearing reel. Once it hits 4 ball bearings, every additional bearing is redundant. We feel good when we have a 400 dollars reel in hand. That is like driving an expensive car. Not many expensive cars are more reliable or perform better than a regular Toyota. But people like to drive those cars to show status. I live around so many people who are the ones driving those expensive cars. Yet, the richest people in where I live only drive inexpensive cars because they don't have to show status.