Doybans or Powell???

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Shannon2713
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Doybans or Powell???

Post by Shannon2713 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:32 pm

Looking for a spinning rod from my stradic 2500 \
Both these rods suit my needs, but which rod is higher quality

Dobyns Champ Spin Rod 6'8" Med Lt 682SF
or
Powell Spinning Rod 6'8" Med Lt Xfast

deepsessions
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Doybans or Powell???

Post by deepsessions » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:28 pm

I don't have either of those,but I own 4 Powells. The Powell 702ML spinning rod I have broke a few times from my own mishaps it's a great rod however. I use it for the dropshot,darthead,light shaky heads. Very sensitive rod. I got my last one before Gary left the company I would assume they'd still be selling the same design. I am working on getting a set of the Dobyns Champion series to stay faithful to Gary. I've held most of them but not fished them. Everyone I know that has one is switching over as well.

sorry I can't be of more help.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Dobyns....enter....Dobyns....enter....Dobyns..... :big grin:

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

Shannon2713
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shannon2713 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:56 pm

I have decided to go with doybans, will be ordering from Tackle Warehouse as soon i have funds in paypal

Ps: D.R this may sound odd but can you tune a stradic 2500 fh

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:45 pm

Sorry Shannon. I do not like working on spinning reels. I can but I had rather stay at work or spend the day with a screaming, unruly kid. :evil:

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jtrotter » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:42 am

How does Gary leaving make one stop buying Powell Rods? Are they not the top shelf rods one looks for? Will powell discontinue Bass Max series now? I am sure both will be excellent choices. I can't see how you can shift your rod collection based Gary leaving? Is the technology that superior to justify the cost of replacing every rod? If so, you are a whole lot richer than I.

I personally own, Powell, Airrus Puls Rs, Crucial, and just got new Okuma Guide Series Swimbait rod (yes, Okuma.. I am impressed) and have Carrott stix on the way.

Magic
Angler
Angler

Post by Magic » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:53 am

I've fished Powell rods, not Dobyns. My powell is a 7" ml xfast. Super rod, really like it a lot. I would buy another.

That said, I have no doubt you can't go wrong with either option.

bab33face
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bab33face » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:13 am

I also own 3 Powell rods with 2 more on the way.

I have a 682CEF and a 681LEF on their way.

Tackle Warehouse has the 681LEF on special for $149

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:09 am

Jtrotter, Nobody said Powell is not a good rod. But having owned several of both myself I can attest that the Dobyns is better. Why?? Several reasons...

Balance is the biggest difference you will find between the Powells and the Dobyns line of rods. Higher grade graphite is another big difference as well. Locking wraps is a rarity on even custom rods nowadays. All of the single foot guides on the Dobyns rods come with locking wraps to prevent the guides from sliding out from under the wrap. If your into a sharp looking rod, Dobyns Rods are very sharp looking from the graphite weave to the aluminum butt cap piece. Also the warranty is also better as well $20.00 (Dobyns)vs $35.00 (Powell). Yes Gary did design the vast majority of the Powell Rods but he took it several steps futher in his newest Rod line.

All I am saying is if you like the Powells your missing out on a better designed tool and not to mention both rods are at the same exact price point at 169.99.

If anyone has any questions about the Dobyns Rod specs feel free to ask and I will do my best to get them answered.

Mike
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

Basscat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Basscat » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:06 am

Exactly what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Prostaff: Daiwa, Dobyns Rods, Vertical Lures, and Sunline.

simple_mr2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by simple_mr2 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:18 pm

im about to make the switch! i have three powells. but i recently ordered a dobyns 7' ml spinning that should be here friday. i cant wait :D
shimano/powell man gone daiwa/dobyns.... zomg!