floro backing

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

floro backing

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:23 pm

When you spool up with floro do you use backing? Say I am going to use 12lb test should I spool the entire reel? How long do you keep floro on your spool? If I am going to be gone for seven months should I take all the line off my reels? I don't if its' braid so should I if its a co-ploymer, floro?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

olds350ho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: floro backing

Post by olds350ho » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:30 pm

I never use a backing when using Floro. I use it from 10 to 20 pound test on my bait casters and love it. I have never had a problem with it. The time I keep it on my reel depend on how much I fish with it, most of the time 2-3 weeks but I change all my lines that much expect braded line. IMHO if you are going to be gone for 7 months I would just buy new line when I got back. Hope I could help.
-Jimmy

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: floro backing

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:59 pm

The only time I'll always use backing is on my spinning reels. It is just a waste of line if you spool the whole thing up with brand new line. Also, it keeps the line from slipping when using braid. With flouro on my baitcaster, I don't use backing. I just don't want to risk it, because I can make some real long casts, and if a knot comes flying out after 60 yards of line and I break one off....I'm going to be pissssssssssed.