Daiwa Luna

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Luna

Post by shtuka » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:05 pm

Does anybody know who has the best prices on Daiwa Luna 103L?
I heard about brand new being sold for $130-140 but can not find anything even close on the net.
Thanks.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Luna

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:11 pm

Im not sure but if you do buy one please post some feedback on it here. This reel is barely talked about if at all and looks/sounds like a tank. One Forty sounds like a killer price.. check TW.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:11 am

shtuka, what are you going to use the Luna 103L for? I've never float fish for steelhead before and I'm thinking baitcasting might be good. Do you think I can pair a Luna 103L with a 9'6" light steelhead rod and used it for that purpose? I'm concerned that the reel may not be able to cast the light rigs needed for this technique. I'll also use it to cast small spinners and spoons.

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:23 am

ShoreBound wrote:shtuka, what are you going to use the Luna 103L for? I've never float fish for steelhead before and I'm thinking baitcasting might be good. Do you think I can pair a Luna 103L with a 9'6" light steelhead rod and used it for that purpose? I'm concerned that the reel may not be able to cast the light rigs needed for this technique. I'll also use it to cast small spinners and spoons.
IMO I don't think the Luna is the right reel for float fishing. You don't want ANY magnetics at all, the float and roe/fly/split shot/ etc. can be very light and at times awkward to "flip" out there, (most times you are not casting) but chucking it out underhand.

Luna for drifting maybe, but you have to have absolutely free spool as in slow currents magnetics will interfere with the float's drift. Center pin or spinning would work better given most of the rivers around southern Ontario. JMO.

BTW, a 9'6" rod can work but you're better off with a 11 to 13 ft. rod for floats.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:30 am

Thanks, wantthat2. You confirmed what I thought. Thanks for the tip on the rod length.

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:57 am

No problem. I used to love throwing spinners and built about a hundred of them in various weights. (lost count of my steelhead flies) Lost most of the spinners to snags, etc.

I found that
1) I was better off using a 7 ft. spinning rod for spinners (better accuracy)
2) 80-90% of the guys out there are using floats making it hard to find the room to cast spinners.
3) Most of our rivers, at least for me, lack the 'definition' where spinners shine.

So I gave up, went with the flow and bought a 13 ft. float rod. But in all honesty, I sort of gave up on steelheading too: the crowds and the low water levels or recent years kind of got to me.

But no question: steelheading is in a class of its own. Not much else out there compares to those fish. Best of luck.

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:43 am

if you want no braking force, you can remove the braking system from the spool in the luna, and for casting light spinners you could use a lighter spool like the one in the cvz sw, which were on sale for the same price as the luna on cabelas the last time i checked, they are only offered in the 203 size though. but they do use the v shaped spool.
if you could find a cvz 103 (no longer in production) then i think you'll be satisfied.

it has the v shaped wiffle spool and is in the small 103 size. and also magforce v which from what i gather is best for accuracy with light weights, like flipping out a float.

or you could get the bay casting special http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwabaycasting.html
which has the gigas spool

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:20 am

You are now speaking of a specialty of mine. Floatfishing with a baitcaster. First off i use a Millionaire CVZ for floatfishing and it works extremely well as would a Luna. You need large river flows to utilize baitcast floatrigs and I use the technique at the Niagara and Saugeen. Out west there's lots of appropriate big river flows. The ideal rod is between 10.5 feet and 11'. The use of rather heavy lead weight and big floats is also appropriate. For the Niagara I used to use a Loomis GL3 1263 custom baitcast rod built with a twist. I found that it was an excellent rod for Salmon but too stout for Steelhead so I sold it and am having a GL3 1262 customized in the same baitcast format for Steelies. Overall the use of any baitcast reel will work and you do not need a high end Luna or Calcutta to have the technique work. Many guys use crap like Abu C3 and C4 reels for the technique and they work. Good casting skills are required when throwing these rigs as they do offer lots of wind resistance and blowups are easy to get. EDUCATE YOUR THUMB! It's a fun technique that compliments the use of centerpin floatfishing in smaller flows very nicely. As for spinners I use a 9'6" Fenwick Techna baitcaster and a Daiwa Viento to chuck hardware to Steelhead in larger flows like the Niagara or Saugeen and I hammer them on spinners, spoons and hardbaits like cranks and jerks. In smaller, shallow streams I us an 8' Airrus 1 piece spin rod and a Daiwa Tierra to throw smaller spinners and tiny crankbaits to Steelies and again I hammer them. In the smaller streams I use an 11'6" floatrod and a centerpin reel to float small floats lightly weighted and baited with roe, worms, tiny creature plastics and maribou jigs for Steelhead and Browns. Again generally I hammer them with all of these techniques and it astounds me that most guys up here hang up the fishing gear after the summer when the stop pursuing Bass and walleye. Crazy guys but more for me. Snidley