Recommended line for Steez

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Recommended line for Steez

Post by Dave079 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:29 pm

I am getting a Steez 103HA in the next couple days and I am trying to decide what line to use. I am used to using spinning reels and braid (power pro) lately. Should I stick with the braid or do you guys recommend a mono. I will be mainly using the Steez for fishing in my pond with plastics (mainly Senkos).

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Recommended line for Steez

Post by backcast » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:13 pm

McCoy Mean Green mono, in either 8, 10, or 12 lb. Fishing conditions determine what weight I use. This line is lesser known than some others. It seems to have good strength, abrasion resistance, low memory, and is a good all around line. You can find it at Tackle Warehouse and some other tackle dealers.

The best and worst thing about this line are the same thing for me. The color is such that it has very low visibility in the water, which is very good. However it is also very hard for me to see out of the water, and I wish that were different.

I have never liked braid, but have not given it enough of a chance yet. I plan to try it more on some spinning reels soon.

You will quickly come to respect and be amazed by the Steez...what a reel!

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:05 pm

i have 13lb sunline shooter defier on my steez. its paired up with a puls-r and its used for everything from topwater to shakey head. i like it alot, especially for the moving baits. casts super nice, and is ultra smooth, and seems to resist knicks and kinking.
its too bad i dont have an extra spoo9l for the steez, as id have 12 or 14lb sufix braid on it for the jiggin stuff.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Derek777 wrote: its too bad i dont have an extra spoo9l for the steez, as id have 12 or 14lb sufix braid on it for the jiggin stuff.
easily resolved with a call to Daiwa ya know... ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:54 pm

Oh Cal, that's like a Snickers Bar next to a Fat Man...ya know that just ain't fair.

Congrats on the Steez, it is a superb reel in pretty much all aspects.

If you are not familiar with braid and are new to BC, I would suggest no braid, esp if you get a "pro overrun". For fishing plastics I would recommend a quality florocarbon that is fairly priced like Cabela's Carbon Pro...pretty much the exact stuff as Seaguar Florocarbon for much less. The sinking, abrasion resistant and sensitive characteristics of this line should work out well for plastics.

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:26 pm

I have used baitcasters quite often, just not super high end such as the Steez. I have been mainly using a Curado with Power Pro. I rarely, even in wind get line tangles with it. I pretty much have braid in all my reels right now. Haven't used mono much at all in the past 2-3 years. Going to try some mono on the Steez. I thank everyone for their input.

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:43 pm

i do like mono on reels that cast well. just good mono.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:50 pm

My mistake...if you are familiar with BCs and fish plastics and have experience with braid, then by all means.

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:51 am

Anyone tried the Daiwa Steez line yet? I think its fluorocarbon, if I remember right. I'm always on the lookout to find the best fluoro line out there and I've been curious about this one. I've been meaning to order a spool and try it out but havn't done it yet.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 pm

cpark,
I used the steez flourocarbon,and found it a bit stiff for my liking, so now I use sunline sniper fc and love it,easy to see and handles great. I heard the shooter is even better.,but hav'nt tried it yet. both my steez are filled with flourocarbon for plastics,and so far no problems.