Thanks Tackle Tour!

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
SCSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Thanks Tackle Tour!

Post by SCSS » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:06 pm

Absolutely Snidely, I even use this reel mated to a Lami XCF 864 for downrigger duties in the Ocean.

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:59 pm

cmon man be honest, that's no five pounder.

SCSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SCSS » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:04 pm

Oolie, Where'd you get 5lbs from?

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:34 pm

"First Speck on new shimano carado 300DSV...5 pounder." listed under the description of the photo.

SCSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SCSS » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Jettywolfs picture, I hadn't even noticed. sorry

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:51 pm

lol, it's more likely a 2 pound fish maybe close to three.

one of our local kayakers bought a couple speedmaster 201's thinking it was the JDM version of the curado 301, because he heard it off this site.

i've serviced one of them, and i wouldn't call them saltwater ready, unsheilded bearings, not a very large line capacity, decent though. it's an awesome looking reel, but not saltwater ready.

SCSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SCSS » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:03 pm

I've used mine riggin in the ocean and drifting in the rivers and never had a problem. I wash mine after every use though and lube often. what do you consider to be "saltwater ready" I agree with you on the speck, I guess his shirt says it all :)

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Oolie wrote:... i've serviced one of them, and i wouldn't call them saltwater ready, unsheilded bearings, not a very large line capacity...
unshielded ARBs are easy to service and a quick visual will tell you if there's any corrosion, salt crystalllization, if they're dry or need lubrication... that's a bad thing?

and to think shimano japan markets this as a saltwater reel. guess they should've checked with you first, huh :lol:

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:26 pm

first, no sheild means sand and salt crystals get in easy, scratching and fouling the bearing, and reason number 2.
those caps that go over the nut that holds the handle on, they keep salt in, and sould not be on any saltwater reel, this handle has been weakened significantly by the corrosion caused by the cap, it now has a large amount of play in it, back and forth. they could have prevented this by using the nuts that they use on the calcutta te's.

please zenbasser, you should know me better by now, i don't go criticizing reels for no reason, it just so happens that the bearings in the reel were comprimised due to sand and salt penetration, and i hate super free on a saltwater reel, it's all too common for the pinion to corrode to the bearing which corrodes to other parts, ruining a reel, it's very very common.
i servis mostly kayaker's reels, since theirs get ruined most often.
btw, this reel was thouroughly washed after each use, the salt stays in the cap.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:57 pm

Oolie wrote:first, no sheild means sand and salt crystals get in easy...
sure shields help to keep contaminants out, but they wont prevent them from getting in and they will help keep them inside. and you're not going to know that unless you remove those shields, or until the bearing seizes or starts grinding on you. have you tried removing the shields from daiwa's CRBB?
and reason number 2...those caps that go over the nut that holds the handle on, they keep salt in, and sould not be on any saltwater reel
c'mon that pic only shows a reel that has been neglected. it takes awhile for salt to buildup like that. that cap is easily removed in seconds but not part of the "thorough washing" routine? take a look at one of alantani's pictorials as he has a simple fix for that... grease!
please zenbasser, you should know me better by now...
only what i read on SWB, sdfish, & SCSF :shock: :lol:
...and i hate super free on a saltwater reel, it's all too common for the pinion to corrode to the bearing...
you do realize the td luna and coastal inshore, both of which are marketed by daiwa as saltwater reels... both have a pinion gear supported by two bearings, one of which is mounted in the same spot as would a shimano SF bearing? have you replaced them on your reels? how about the bearing mounted behind the pin on your luna's spool... easy to service on a saltwater reel?

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:35 pm

removing sheilds hasn't been a problem for me, unless they're the non removable type, which i avoid if at all possible.
so far i haven't had sand get into any sheilded bearings in my reels, so i would say that they are better than non sheilded.
yes i fish my luna primarily for corvina from the sand in the bay, most of the time i'm wading.

i know that there should have been grease in there from the start, i'm guessing that the factory neglected to put grease on that nut and shaft , because the handle was stuck to the nut. the owner claims to have washed it every time, but it's not my reel. i've seen many reels whith this type of hap that have similar corrosion, all curados or calcuttas, i've never seen this problem on a reel with a nut like the ones on lunas or TE's.

and removing a spool pin isn't that difficult either, yes removing a sf bearing is easier, i'll give you that. but i've never seen corrosion on a daiwa like i have on shimano's pinion support bearings.
with the loocation being the same in both super free reels and daiwas, of the bearing that supports the pinion gear, water exposure is nearly the same, but while the bearing in the daiwa can be pumped full of grease, filling the sf bearing with grease would hinder the casting, so i would say that daiwa's design is more corrosion resistant than the sf design.
would you agree?

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:18 pm

Oolie wrote:...but i've never seen corrosion on a daiwa like i have on shimano's pinion support bearing.
wait until you've had the luna for more than a few mos. OR, find a way to remove the driveshaft retainer on your luna so you can have a peek at whats at the bottom ;)
... with the loocation being the same in both super free reels and daiwas, of the bearing that supports the pinion gear, water exposure is nearly the same, but while the bearing in the daiwa can be pumped full of grease, filling the sf bearing with grease would hinder the casting, so i would say that daiwa's design is more corrosion resistant than the sf design.
would you agree?
if i could understand that statement, i might agree or disagree. only two points i will make...
1) a SF bearing filled with grease would have zero impact on casting, unless jun @ japantackle is out of his mind and the great casting i'm seeing is just an illusion. but then you've already aksed & i've already stated that on another board. have you even tried to confirm this for yourself?... :whistle:

2)"sf design" = bearing supported pinion gear. just because daiwa didn't conjure up a marketing term for their bearing supported pinion gear, doesnt mean that bearing wont rust out. when cranking the luna feels rough and you hear some grinding, look there first ;)