Good Trilene XL story

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Good Trilene XL story

Post by dustlane » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:27 pm

I took my 9 year old son bass fishing the other day. He was using his Johnson Century that I spooled with 10 lb. Trilene XL. He was fishing with his Rebel Pop R when I heard the splash. I turned around and saw the bend in his rod and a seriously determined look on his face while he was steadily reeling. He did really well until the fish ran under the boat, then around behind the boat. Somehow he managed to get his lines wrapped around the lower unit and prop. I ran to the back of the boat and leaned into the water as far as I could trying to unwrap the line. I just knew that fish was going to break off since my son was only using 10 lb line. And Trilene XL at that. I finally got him unwrapped and my son landed the fish. It was his biggest to date at just under four pounds. But I went ahead and told he could tell everyone it was four pounds since it was so close. Man, that was one happy child and I was one proud daddy that day. I still feel like my son got extremely lucky for that Trilene XL not to break after the threads I have read where everyone says that it is definitely not abrasion resistant at all. But in spite of those threads, after he caught that fish, that is still what he likes to use.

Heineken Man
Angler
Angler

Re: Good Trilene XL story

Post by Heineken Man » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:02 pm

You 9 yr old kid has a line brand preference?...

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:24 pm

HM, you say that disbelievingly and I can understand that. It may sound odd, but, yes, he does. He has been on the boat with me since he was old enough to walk. He uses a baitcaster regularly. He just insn't an expert yet so he still reaches for his trusty Johnson from time to time. He also knows exactly what line brand, size that I use. However, he is like I am. We both have our noses in the BPS and Cabela's catalogs constantly. When I ask him what kind of rod and reel he wants next he knows that too. He tells me without hesitation that he wants a Daiwa Steez on a Kistler Helium. :shock: :shock: He may be young but he knows his fishing gear. He surprises me all the time. What more can a dad ask for?

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:32 pm

dustlane wrote: We both have our noses in the BPS and Cabela's catalogs constantly. When I ask him what kind of rod and reel he wants next he knows that too. He tells me without hesitation that he wants a Daiwa Steez on a Kistler Helium. :shock: :shock:
:lol: Your son has good taste for sure! ;)

Heineken Man
Angler
Angler

Post by Heineken Man » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:49 pm

Wait til he turns 16 and ask him what kind of car he wants. :lol:

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:51 pm

Yeah, I dread that day. Except he never mentions a car. He wants truck...AND a bass boat. :shock: He better get real good at fishing and win several tournaments so he can at least win the boat. The truck I can deal with. Heck, by then my truck will be seven years old. I'll just give him mine and I can get a new one. ;) Yeah, that will go over like Rosie O'donnell in a thong. :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:26 pm

Someone out there makes a thong that doubles as a boy scout pitch tent? WOW!! Must come in a very large package.

BTW, congrats on your Son's accomplishment. So far as his line perference, hey, give him time, he may find another. Trilene XL was my favorite for a long time as well until I really started to expand my fishing skills.

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:10 pm

dragon1 wrote:Trilene XL was my favorite for a long time as well until I really started to expand my fishing skills.
I used XL my whole life until about 3 years ago. Coincidentally, it happens to be around the same time I learned of Tackletour.com.

It's still a good line for spinning gear.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

wiper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by wiper » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:34 am

Rosie O'Donnel in a thong :shock: Good Gawd!!!!!!

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:29 pm

It is like two elephants fighting in a circus tent!!

wiper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by wiper » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:59 pm

=)))) =)))) Man you are killing me!!!

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:28 pm

Hey, when the material is there, ya gotta run with it. I was going to say that her backside looks like she was smuggling hams out of a grocery store but that came nowhere close to the enormity of the subject of our discussion. Ain't she hot? :lol:

wiper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by wiper » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:56 pm

=))))

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:47 pm

:lol: :lol22:

As crazy and unbeliveable as it may seem...

It gets MUCH WORSE once she opens her mouth. Hell, I would say the hams and two elephants in that circus tent take second to her mouth!

And to make it even more annoying, is the sound of her voice...as if the lack of class, common sense and appropriateness derived from her brain synopsis-to-larynx-to-language process wasn't already bad enough.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:51 pm

dustlane wrote:Hey, when the material is there, ya gotta run with it. I was going to say that her backside looks like she was smuggling hams out of a grocery store but that came nowhere close to the enormity of the subject of our discussion. Ain't she hot? :lol:
=)))) That's hilarious .