centrifugal vs magnetic

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: centrifugal vs magnetic

Post by Fishingelbow » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:55 am

The reference suggested by backcast is here.

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:55 am

I agree to what Mark has said: "it's the indian and not the arrow" ;)

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:32 am

The Pflueger Summit is a good starter reel. It has both centrifugal and magnetic. You can control the spool on startup (centrifugal) and at the end of the cast (magnetic). Setting both close to the max and then backing off as skill increases. Set the brake so your lure falls but when it hits the ground the spool does not continue to rotate.

FillupD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by FillupD » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:41 am

Here you go backcast Braking

Never Mind, I didn't see FishingElbow's post

tonyfish
Angler
Angler

Post by tonyfish » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:52 am

ChuckE wrote:Here's my take on things, focused a little more on the original question. I've found spool tension (from an adjustment knob or even a trained thumb), is more of an influence than the actual braking employed, while learning:

Centrifugal, Magforce, or linear doesn't make a whole lot of difference when it comes to a new angler learning to use a bait caster. (I'm basing this after helping well over 50 anglers add baitcasters to their arsenal over the years.) Each has just as many advantages as disadvantages in the start, when it comes to mastering the basics. I feel that tension adjustment, handling the rod/reel, getting the release down and gaining proficiency is more important than braking -- irregardless of the type of braking. (Although a more expensive reel may be of some benefit at this time, it is not a necessity.) I've helped many anglers with both types and here's what I've seen:

+ About 25% of the anglers give up on any baitcaster because they get frustrated. It seems this is a result of trying to adapt spinning reel casting techniques to baitcasters, misguided expectations, being embarrassed, inability to get timing down/coordination, lack of practice, inability to persevere, and other impediments. That's why I always suggest they borrow a baitcast reel to learn with if at all possible, before buying one of their own. Starting with a borrowed rod/reel has less financial impact, and the learning curve for a baitcaster can be quite intimidating to some.

+ About 25% of the anglers will adopt a baitcaster, but it will seldom become their 1st choice while angling. Lack of proficiency, poor confidence, using specific techniques/presentations, old habit or even the rod they have the baitcaster mounted on seems to play into this outcome. (In some ways this outcome can be similar to the previous one.)

+ About 50% begin and "take to" a centrifugal or magnetic braked reel and never look back -- it's almost like they were meant to use a baitcaster reel. They may eventually add in more magnetic and/or centrifugal braked reels -- personal preference seems to become forefront (reel features, availability, price, weight, profile, confidence, 'bling', presentations and other things become more and more of a factor). About 50% of this group may even adopt more liberal use of their thumb rather than relying more on braking; and 20% of this group may no longer even use spinning gear at all.

Chuck
i really appreciate the post i i think i will have to play with my final choices and then make my decision is there any good reads on learning how to use a baitcaster

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:51 am

mhood wrote:They both work just fine and with a little use, either will provide excellent performance. To a gr8 extent, it's the Indian and not the arrow... ;)
Exactly Marc.
If a person is relying on the brake system alone they're not "educating" their thumb and they're never going to learn that what ever braking system they choose it's only as good as the user.
On my centrifugal brake reels I shut all blocks off and apply a little more mechanical brake. On my magnetic brake reels it's just the opposite, but the thumb brake remains the same for both. ;)

FlyfishTom
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by FlyfishTom » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:15 pm

I have two REVO STX reels and two REVO Inshore reels. At first I was a little disappointed with the inshore because they have certrifugal brakes. Not to worry. I have one pin out on the rod I use to throw lighter lures and two pins out on the rod that I use for ½ oz and up lures. Distance is incredible and I have had only two minor backlashes in six trips.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:00 pm

Got reels with centrifugal, got reels with magnetic ...... it´s all in the thumb.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:03 pm

While all braking systems will do their job, some better than others under varying conditions / applications, it comes back to what mhood originally said. As others have agreed it is the Indian.

How many (self described) experienced casters on here can truthfully say they don't create the mother of all birds nests at least one or more times each year?

Just when you think you are infallible you do something dumb, catch the lure during the cast, switch baits and cast hard into the wind (w/o adjustment) or something and end up with a cut and respool job.

If there are two things we have probably all learned it is ANYONE can create a monster backlash. The second is a patient person can almost always pick that same backlash out...with enough patience and good eye sight.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:23 pm

There´s not a single baitcaster in the market today regardless on how sophisticated the braking system is that I can´t backlash thoroughly and completely all the way down to the core of the spool if I do something stoopid.

Did it this weekend with an Antares DC. :P

promax
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by promax » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:03 pm

raul wrote:There´s not a single baitcaster in the market today regardless on how sophisticated the braking system is that I can´t backlash thoroughly and completely all the way down to the core of the spool if I do something stoopid.

Did it this weekend with an Antares DC. :P
Just one little tap and anything will backlash YUP been there done that .its even funner when somehow the hornet,s KNOW there was a small leaf at the end of there limb and then come to see u while ur takin the birdnest out :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Thumb is King...always will be.

DC is most "advanced" currently, but not infalliable and in head-on wind conditions in my experience no better than properly set mag or centrifugal.