My First Time With Dobyns

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

My First Time With Dobyns

Post by mhood » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:55 pm

Splash and D.R. met me too early at lake O.H. Ivie for some sunrise to noon fishing last Saturday. We don't like to brag in Texas, so I won't get in to how many fish we caught and how big they were...let's just say we safely released everything we got to the boat. ;)

I did get to use a couple of Dobyns rods for the first time. I stuck my new Conquest 50S on a Dobyns 704CB crankb8 stick and D.R. let me throw his 704C jig rod a few times. I must say they are excellent sticks...perfectly balanced and very sensitive. Even the crankb8 stick let me feel every beat of a 1/4oz. Rat-L-Trap. The build quality of the rods is outstanding and I had to remove a shoe to count the number of eyes (lets just say line slap on the blank is not going to be a problem with these sticks).

I really had a good time and really enjoyed the company and the Dobyns sticks. Thanks D.R. and thanks Splash! You both are welcome at Lake Leon anytime. 8-)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My First Time With Dobyns

Post by splash » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:09 pm

It was nice meeting you guys too, and I must say that you weren't nearly as belligerent, arrogant or egotistical as I thought you would be! Just wish I could say the same for D.R.! :lol: You should have stayed and fished the afternoon with us. We got into a heck of a frog bite and I wound up catching an 8, (actually 7lbs 12ozs) in heavy lillypads on 12lb test Sunline Sniper fluorocarbon! I know I shouldn't have been throwing it in there but I was trying to prove a point! I look forward to fishing with you guys again.......... :D
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:22 pm

Yea, D.R. called me to say that ya'll waited until I left to really start fishing. And you should tell the folks the truth...I heard that fish you caught had a two pounder down its throat and that you robbed D.R.'s poor little grandchild to catch it. :lol:

You're alright Splash! It was a real pleasure...once I woke up (fishing is the only reason I'll get up at 3:30 in the morning). I was also very relieved that I didn't have to use my Life Alert to the Elderly Abuse Hotline even once. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:44 pm

mhood wrote:Yea, D.R. called me to say that ya'll waited until I left to really start fishing. And you should tell the folks the truth...I heard that fish you caught had a two pounder down its throat and that you robbed D.R.'s poor little grandchild to catch it. :lol:

You're alright Splash! It was a real pleasure...once I woke up (fishing is the only reason I'll get up at 3:30 in the morning). I was also very relieved that I didn't have to use my Life Alert to the Elderly Abuse Hotline even once. ;)
I gave D.R. several shots at it then left it to Tristen, (his grandson) until he gave up, then I stuck it! I can't help it that the Snagproof frog beat the Spro frog once again! Actually 2 days in a row. And I wondered why the cops were hanging around the boat ramp, didn't know you thought I was going to throw you in!!! :lol: :lol:
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JIP » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:32 pm

No pictures? :D
JIP - TackleTour.com
http://www.tackletour.com

The Natural
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by The Natural » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:52 pm

splash wrote: We got into a heck of a frog bite and I wound up catching an 8, (actually 7lbs 12ozs) in heavy lillypads on 12lb test Sunline Sniper fluorocarbon! I know I shouldn't have been throwing it in there but I was trying to prove a point!
A little OT, but I had two rods with me while on 'foot patrol' at a hard to access large pond last month. One pitchin' stick with heavy fluoro, and a bcr852 spooled with 12lb Sniper. I had a 'professional overrun' ;) with my pitching rod reel, and to finish the afternoon, I had no choice but to use the Pixy with 12lb Sniper. I was pitching a 5" Paca Toad to laydowns and crossed the eyes of a 7-4 that fought hard and I ended up having to lift on to the bank. Considering the 12lb Sniper is so thin, I was really impressed. I will say I am using the new Trilene fluoro now, but the Sniper is awesome line. The new Trilene fluoro handles comparably, but has an advantage with the 2000yd spools available...I wish sunline did that. I just spent $320 at Tackle Warehouse on two 2,000yd spools, because I don't like having to use filler spools and waste line or try and determine how I'm going to get two spools out of one filler.

Last edited by The Natural on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:53 pm

JIP wrote:No pictures? :D
Sorry JIP, but no pictures and I don't know why. Guess we didn't think of it! mhood and D.R. were 2 stand up guys that treated me great and were a blast to fish with! We'll get pics next time.
Splash