Core Info.

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
LOBINAKING
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Core Info.

Post by LOBINAKING » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I searched the archives but couldn't find any comments on what i feel is are obvious questions on this new reel.

1- $349.00 for a 5 bearing reel? why the hell did Shimano go with a non-bearing supported handle? If that's the case then shouldn't the price be lower than the JDM version?

2- What size is the handle?

3- Will the red spool fit into the Metanium MG7 (i'm assuming yes)?
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Core Info.

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:32 am

We did not use the bearing handle due to the anglers in the southwest (Texas wade fisherman). The cost is higher due to the materials used (Mg and surface treatment procees) and the Magnumlite spool, HEG gearing etc; The MG is "cheaper" due to the current exchange rate and the dealers in Japan selling the reels lower than SIC's MSRP.

The handle is 84mm I believe. It is the same as the MG7. The FV version has the larger paddles.

Yes the spool will work in the MG7

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:41 am

Texas wade fisherman influenced no bearing supported handles? How on earth did they do that? I bet if you took a non bearing supported handle and a bearing supported handle put them in any anglers hands and told them the difference theyd pick the bearing supported handle. ;) :lol:

Too bad JDM parts for reels werent as readyly available, we could just switch the handles. You can find them if you want one bad enough.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:03 am

Corrosion issues and cost being the biggest factor. Less bearings means less to worry about.

I have the new Metanium MG7 and the paddles are not as free as the Calais by any means. So don't get too excited about bearing supported handles for the Core/MG. I do hope that they break in eventually and loosen up.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:10 am

Bantam1 wrote:I have the new Metanium MG7 and the paddles are not as free as the Calais by any means.
How do you figure that can be? :?
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:23 am

I have both and the handles are not very free with the bearings. Why I have no odea. I opened the handles and checked the bearings and they are smooth. It might be a little tight? Anyways I am waiting on parts to see if I can free it up.

LOBINAKING
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LOBINAKING » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Bantam1 wrote:We did not use the bearing handle due to the anglers in the southwest (Texas wade fisherman). The cost is higher due to the materials used (Mg and surface treatment procees) and the Magnumlite spool, HEG gearing etc; The MG is "cheaper" due to the current exchange rate and the dealers in Japan selling the reels lower than SIC's MSRP.

The handle is 84mm I believe. It is the same as the MG7. The FV version has the larger paddles.

Yes the spool will work in the MG7
Thanks for the answers Bantam, i called Shimano just now and asked about the spool and they said that they don't even have a schematic yet so any idea as to when we might be able to purchase one and also what the cost would be.

Thanks again.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:29 pm

BNT3840 is the spool part number. The MSRP is $48.97 and they will not be in stock until the end of October.

JPChavez23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JPChavez23 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:29 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:Texas wade fisherman influenced no bearing supported handles? How on earth did they do that?
I guess I influenced no bearing supported handles because I'm a Texas wade fisherman. For the most part Texas inshore saltwater fishing and fisherman are very hard on reels. I see why shimano did this because they would be losing a huge market if they made a reel that would not last in extreme saltwater conditions. Wade fisherman always want the lightest rod and reel possible to keep from getting tired from making so many casts and working lures. That being said I don't know why there is a big fuss about this reel. It weighs more than the Chronarch Mg, it has the same amount of bearings, same durability and costs $100 more. It might cast a little further and have more power but the chronarch mg casts plenty far and has enough power to reel in everything that wade fisheman target. I love my shimano reels including my chronarch mg but I'm not paying $100 more for better looks. If shimano want to compete with the steez which I believe was the goal they should have made it more for the enthusiast market.
Last edited by JPChavez23 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:42 pm

We made this reel as a replacement for the Chronarch 100Mg. We introduced the 50Mg a few years ago and we had many requests for a larger frame reel. We added the HEG gearing and an even lighter spool for better casting performance.

The original Chronarch 100Mg MSRP was $299.99, so this reel is $50 more with more features and better performance. The weight is .1 ounces more than the 100Mg (6.0) and .3 ounces heavier than the 50Mg(5.9).

The 100Mg was (and still is) very popular in Texas for the wade fisherman from what I have seen. I am not saying I am the foremost expert on the Texas market so don't take it that way. I have been there many times and I speak with our reps and pro staff very often.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:43 pm

JPChavez23 wrote:
GAMEOVER wrote:Texas wade fisherman influenced no bearing supported handles? How on earth did they do that?
I guess I influenced no bearing supported handles because I'm a Texas wade fisherman. For the most part Texas inshore saltwater fishing and fisherman are very hard on reels. I see why shimano did this because they would be losing a huge market if they made a reel that would not last in extreme saltwater conditions. When I worked at Cabela's in Texas and we would sell Chronarch Mg's like crazy to mostly saltwater fisherman. Wade fisherman always want the lightest rod and reel possible to keep from getting tired from making so many casts and working lures. That being said I don't know why there is a big fuss about this reel. It weighs more than the Chronarch Mg, it has the same amount of bearings, same durability and costs $100 more. It might cast a little further and have more power but the chronarch mg casts plenty far and has enough power to reel in everything that wade fisheman target. I love my shimano reels including my chronarch mg but I'm not paying $100 more for better looks. If shimano want to compete with the steez which I believe was the goal they should have made it more for the enthusiast market.
Thats a small percentage of anglers in America Chavez. The majority of american anglers fish fresh water and not salt by quite a big margin id say. That is completely silly to me. If they were worried about corrosion why on earth make it magnesium even though it is taged salt water safe "I think". Regardless this is the reel I been waiting for from Shimano to get my interest back in them it would have been a perfect reel if it had the bearing supported handle for me Bantam. Ill be picking one up for sure I just dont know if I want to go USD version and have someone ship me the JDM handle or what.

The excess bearing excuse bantam is a silly one. You guys know adding bearings increases performance and its worth adding them inside the reels so you guys should do it with the handles as well. Japanese anglers fish saltwater to and probably at a bigger margin then american anglers do yet you see the better bearing supported handles on their reels.

You guys arent the only ones who gets to some of us about the bearing supported handles either Daiwa does it as well.

I feel its safe to say that all the enthusiasts on here would deffinatly take the bearing supported handle even if it will be seeing salt water use.

Bantam- You guys dont have a left version of the Core nor MG7 so I guess ill buy atleast one more Steez until you guys comes out with a lefty assuming and hopeing you will down the road, for both speed retrieves. If you do release this in a left and when I buy one even if I dont switch it to my favorite all-purpose reel over the Steez I am very confident the lefty burner will propel past the Zillion I traded off. This Core/MG7 has me geeked more then your DC reels.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:40 pm

GO-

I sent you a PM.

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:12 pm

make the pm public if you would please, or send a copy of it to me, i have the same questions.
one more, if i use the reel in saltwater and it corrodes, is it covered under warranty? i am a wade fisherman.

JPChavez23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JPChavez23 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:15 pm

GAMEOVER wrote: The excess bearing excuse bantam is a silly one. You guys know adding bearings increases performance and its worth adding them inside the reels so you guys should do it with the handles as well. Japanese anglers fish saltwater to and probably at a bigger margin then american anglers do yet you see the better bearing supported handles on their reels.
The reason for less bearings and a non bearing supported handle is because in saltwater bearings corrode like there's no tomorrow (believe me I know). The smaller the amount of bearings the smaller the opportunity for things to go bad. The Japanese saltwater environment and the Gulf Coast saltwater environment are completely different.
GAMEOVER wrote: Thats a small percentage of anglers in America Chavez. The majority of american anglers fish fresh water and not salt by quite a big margin id say.
I'm not arguing that by any means, but there is a REASON shimano has made this reel "saltwater safe." It's not because there is a lack of sales from the saltwater crowd. Money talks.
Oolie wrote: if i use the reel in saltwater and it corrodes, is it covered under warranty? i am a wade fisherman.
It's covered under warranty because it considered by Shimano as "saltwater safe."

JBA
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JBA » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:25 pm

I have to admit when I heard shimano USA was going to release a domestic version of the Mg7 I was excited. I was planning on purchasing one as soon as they were released until I found out that the reel was only going to have 5 bearings for $350. I was not to impressed. Would I look at buying an Mg7 possibly the only down fall is the lack of warranty. I am not trying to bash on shimano I love their reels. I own 3 of their spinning reels and 5 of their bait casters I have been extremely happy with all of them. This is JMO.