Advice needed on new trebles for old lures

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Advice needed on new trebles for old lures

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:17 am

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post.

I bought a bunch of stuff at a garage sale that included many lures like jitterbugs, zara spooks, etc.

The treble hooks aren't rusted, but there is some corrosion. Furthermore, some of the hooks don't move freely.

I want to replace them, but I've never done such a project.

I understand that better trebles would probably increases my catches.

I would greatly appreciate advice and opinions on what brand and types of hooks, what colors, etc.

There also seems to be different types of split rings.

Advice on the tools needed would also be appreciated.

Do I need the special pliers to handle the split rings?

Do I need a small vise?

I'm not a very mechanical person, and I don't have depth perception, so some projects pose a real challenge.

Thanks much.

Fred

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Advice needed on new trebles for old lures

Post by mrgadget » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:31 am

Replacement Trebles and split rings are available in numerous styles and sizes. There are four split ring pliers listed in BPS catalog...

A cheapy for $3.99 (works in a pinch, but not the best).

A red handle "standard" size for $5.99 and a "Heavy duty" for $8.99. The Heavy duty is too large for freshwater lures.

The $4.99 "Multipurpose" is nice, but it's not stainless steel.

The "Deluxe" for $11.99 is stainless, and is also Multipurpose.

You pays your money and picks your posion.. Gadget

ReelDoc/KS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ReelDoc/KS » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:00 am

Fred595 wrote:I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post.

I bought a bunch of stuff at a garage sale that included many lures like jitterbugs, zara spooks, etc.

The treble hooks aren't rusted, but there is some corrosion. Furthermore, some of the hooks don't move freely.

I want to replace them, but I've never done such a project.

I understand that better trebles would probably increases my catches.

I would greatly appreciate advice and opinions on what brand and types of hooks, what colors, etc.

There also seems to be different types of split rings.

Advice on the tools needed would also be appreciated.

Do I need the special pliers to handle the split rings?

Do I need a small vise?

I'm not a very mechanical person, and I don't have depth perception, so some projects pose a real challenge.

Thanks much.

Fred
These are what you need. They make a painful and annoying task simple. Not cheap but worth every penny!! I have a pair in my boat at all times. Texas tackle Split Ring Pryers

Doc

sweden14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sweden14 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:41 am

As far as the tools, be sure to buy a pair of split ring pliers that look like normal needle nosed pliers with the tooth on the end. Like these:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... bled=false

Before you start, I'd recommend buying an assortment of Gamakatsu treble hooks. I prefer the round-bend.

In any event, you'd probably be best served to get some size 2, 4 and 6, and that should cover most, if not all, of your needs.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:41 am

First of all, Welcome to TT Fred.

Many(most?) treble hook plugs come stock with very poor hooks so changing them out is a great idea even if they weren't corroded. These are the best replacement hooks IMO. Btw, some early Zara Spooks came without split rings for their hooks. Using one like that is just asking for a thrown plug when a Bass shakes its head. Add split rings if there are not there.

Doc: Very impressive pliers!

Dan

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:34 am

I fully agree with Dan on the Triple Grips, killer hook. As far as the color, I like Black Nickel, I don't think the bronze, nickel or red are available in the Ultra Point.

As far as the pliers, buy the nicest pair you can afford, if you plan on fishing, you're gonna need them!

If some of your baits use the little metal hook hangar, make sure the screws tighten on down, and it's not a bad idea to put a little drop of loctite on them. Make a note of how they come off, as well, as they prevent the hook from swinging one direction.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:31 pm

When it comes to your basic hook companys which to me are Eagle Claw, Mustad, Gamakatsu, and VMC I consider the most basic. Of the four I deffinatly am a Gammie guy overall but when it comes to trebles I have to go with Dan and DP on this. The Mustad Triple grips are fantastic hooks and deffinatly one of my favorites. Another excellent treble is VMCs Sure Set hook which have noticeably increase my hook up ratio on the same lures with stock trebles. I havent done much research into it but another factor is how the hooks are going to balance on the lure. My absolute favorite hook company with cost not an option has been OWNER. Their trebles are excellent and I use them on lures where I dont want to risk a slight difference in action. This boils down to me being anal about my tackle though and overall id say the Mustad Triple Grips are hands down the best go to treble hook for most lures.

On some topwaters they use longer shank trebles that arent even on split rings like the Heddon Torpedos. What I do with this is cut through the cheap hooks on them that bend easyly, add a split ring, then add my treble of choice. I switched all my Torpedos/Spooks over to split rings with VMC trebles I have left over from putting Sure Sets on my Rapala DTs.

I use basic cheap eagle claw split ring pliers for this for now because they get the job done for cheap. If I changed trebles more often id invest in a better pair but I dont at the moment.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:59 pm

Thanks Gameover...for the comprehensive reply...

What do you and others think of Excalibur trebles?

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:19 pm

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:31 pm

I was wondering why no one mentioned Excalibur. Ever since I bought some Bomber lures years ago with Excalibur rotating hooks, I've been hooked. The newer ones are a little heavier gauge ( It seems) than the older ones, but they have a good gap and a "twist" in them that really works. They are also super sharp, but so are the others. I am a anal as Gameover about my trebles, and I change them all to Excalibur. Do what I did years ago, try a few different ones and go with what give you confidence.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:43 am

reelblues wrote:I was wondering why no one mentioned Excalibur. Ever since I bought some Bomber lures years ago with Excalibur rotating hooks, I've been hooked. The newer ones are a little heavier gauge ( It seems) than the older ones, but they have a good gap and a "twist" in them that really works. They are also super sharp, but so are the others. I am a anal as Gameover about my trebles, and I change them all to Excalibur. Do what I did years ago, try a few different ones and go with what give you confidence.
I read about the Excalibur "rotating" trebles...

But I don't see where the rotation is...there's no swivel to rotate...I don't understand their "rotation" claim.

Can you please fill me in?

Thanks.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:18 am

Follow-up question...

Now I need some advice on split rings...

There are so many options available that I am confused.

Some sizes are listed as 1/0, 1, 2, etc., while others are 5,6,7,8,9, 10

Various colors are also available....silver, black, copper, gold.

What types/colors/sizes do you suggest or recommend for freshwater lures such as a 1/2 oz. jitterbug or Zara Spook? That's about the largest lures that I have.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:21 am

Fred,

The trebles are kind of 'bent' at an angle, presumably the hook will rotate to ensure a good hookset when you set the hook.

For split rings, I prefer to use the SS, but others work, the only problem with the SS is that they won't close properly if you bend them too far, they are not springy, so you have to take care. They are every bit as strong as the others, though. As far as sizes, get yourself a pack of 1,2 and 3 and you should be covered for everything. If you have a Bass Pro Shops book, they have a size chart in there, 1 being the smallest (of the one's I listed), 3 being the largest

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:32 pm

dampeoples wrote:Fred,

The trebles are kind of 'bent' at an angle, presumably the hook will rotate to ensure a good hookset when you set the hook.

For split rings, I prefer to use the SS, but others work, the only problem with the SS is that they won't close properly if you bend them too far, they are not springy, so you have to take care. They are every bit as strong as the others, though. As far as sizes, get yourself a pack of 1,2 and 3 and you should be covered for everything. If you have a Bass Pro Shops book, they have a size chart in there, 1 being the smallest (of the one's I listed), 3 being the largest
I checked the Tackle Warehouse and they only carry Danielson split rings in the freshwater lure sizes...The Danielson are not worth it at $0.89 for a pack of 5 or 6... other places have 100 for around $3.00

Here's what they say at Tackle Warehouse about the Danielsons:

Split rings are the easiest and most effective way of securing hooks to a lure. These stainless steel split rings, from Danielson, will do the job effectively for a very low price. With split rings, the larger the number the larger the ring. Try number 3 or 4 for securing treble hooks to crankbaits and for tying on the line.

-----------------------------------
The point here is that you say sizes 1,2, and 3 should cover everything, but the TW quote says sizes 3 or 4 will do it...

I'm probably beating the split-ring issue to death...but there is still some confusion about the sizes.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:51 pm

You have a Bass Pro book? Check the chart in there, those are some pretty large sizes for split rings! Go look at the Lucky Craft offering from TW, their text pretty much echoes what I said.

You an use any size you want, but extra weight has the potential to alter the action of a bait. I wish I could find one posted on the net, but with different size monitors and such, it'll be hard to get an accurate chart.

Actually, just looked at the Owners at TW, if you follow their text, and the sizes progress down, a #3 would be around 3/16".