Rod or reel precedence?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
kingsriverrat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rod or reel precedence?

Post by kingsriverrat » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:55 pm

My old friend Freddy Frazier gave me a lot of advice about fishing. This is a good thing since he was a pro on the Bass Cat team years ago. (He is no longer with us, sad to say.) Anyway, one of the things he emphasized was "spend just enough on your rod, but always buy the best reel you can afford."

So, I'm curious, what do you guys think? If you could have a choice between, say, a Loomis or Megabass paired with a Pflueger or Mitchell, say, OR, a Berkley, Falcon or All Star paired with a Steez, TD-Z, Calais, Ito, etc., whatever, what would be the choice?

Say you can't have both; just one way or the other. Say you can have any line and bait you want.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rod or reel precedence?

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:24 pm

I, personally, value the rod more than the reel because I value the sensitivity and feel above all else.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:29 pm

I know this wasn't one of your options but I really think in terms of combos. I'd take however much money you had for the rod and reel, split it evenly and go shopping.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

kingsriverrat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingsriverrat » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:43 pm

mhood wrote:I know this wasn't one of your options but I really think in terms of combos. I'd take however much money you had for the rod and reel, split it evenly and go shopping.
Oh, I agree, for the most part, though I tend toward the 'reel' side (vs. Cal, see above). This wasn't really one of those "what should I do?" posts so much as a sort of debate question meant to seek out where the real value lies in the pursuit of quality tackle.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:52 pm

kingsriverrat wrote:This wasn't really one of those "what should I do?" posts so much as a sort of debate question meant to seek out where the real value lies in the pursuit of quality tackle.
The real value lies in a perfectly matched and balanced combo. It doesn't hurt if it's color coordinated either. :lol:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:53 pm

I've seen plenty of posts like this and my opinion never changes, even as I try higher quality and/or higher priced equipment. I think your friend is pretty close to right on with this, but it might make it sound like the rod is less important the way it's stated.

I think the rod is more important for overall function and has a direct effect on your ability to feel what your bait is doing, and effects your ability to feel bites. The right rod for a given presentation will have a much greater effect on your ability to catch fish than the reel. BUT - that doesn't mean you need a more expensive rod than reel, far from it. There are so many high quality rods at lower price levels vs. baitcasting reels.

(Paraphrased from a previous post) - I need to spend more on the reel to get something on par with many rods of lower cost - sometimes significantly lower cost. The return on some $300 rods vs. many $150 rods is so minimal it's not worth it to me, but the return on a $300 reel vs. many $150 and less reels is leaps and bounds.

I'm sure there are exceptions that I'll come across sooner or later.

hsu.parker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hsu.parker » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:43 pm

I'm sure this post will beaten more than a dead horse (which is fun btw) but I think more lies in the rod. While the difference is close and sometimes minimal, if I had TO choose I'd side with the rod. Mhood has a excellent point and a comprise should be made. No matter what you can't go wrong, and if you start down this slippery slope the bait monkey will get ya.

Cheers.

Zest
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zest » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:50 am

i prefer to spend more $$ on rod if rod would not break so easily, i always think spending more $$ on rod mean take a huge risk,especially when go JDM,since warranty simply does not exist,they seems to lack of knowledge about material fatigue,material failure does exist. a broken rod has 0 value,while a faulty reel can be repair(most of the time),and warranty does exist. but if JDM provide solid warranty,i'll spend more $$ on rod

Redfisher18
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Redfisher18 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:35 am

Cal wrote:
I, personally, value the rod more than the reel because I value the sensitivity and feel above all else.
Same here.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:50 am

It would depend upon the application. For flippin, crankin' and even spinnerbaits, to a degree, sensitivity or weight isn't as great a factor or you can purchase a decent, composite or fiberglass rod for under $100.00.
In a situation where sensitivity or bait response is important, worming, jigging, topwater and the like, I would put more money into the rod.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:08 am

I´d rather have a good reel on a killer rod than the other way around.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:10 am

Zest wrote:i prefer to spend more $$ on rod if rod would not break so easily, i always think spending more $$ on rod mean take a huge risk,especially when go JDM,since warranty simply does not exist,they seems to lack of knowledge about material fatigue,material failure does exist. a broken rod has 0 value,while a faulty reel can be repair(most of the time),and warranty does exist. but if JDM provide solid warranty,i'll spend more $$ on rod
You don't have to go JDM to spend a lot of money on a rod... ;) :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Zest
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zest » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:35 am

Cal wrote:
You don't have to go JDM to spend a lot of money on a rod... ;) :lol:
i should say "FCDM",foreign country domestic model, since my country doesn't produce any acceptable rods

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:39 am

Cal says that because of his custom made rods, show him Cal what you are talking about.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:29 am

Cal wrote:I, personally, value the rod more than the reel because I value the sensitivity and feel above all else.

Even uncustom made, I prefer the better rod over the reel. A reel in our 200 dollar market will perform well and get it done leaving you with the extra money to get the extra stuff from your rod. Even though I use the 500 dollar Steez on 3-500 dollar rods id take the rods with a 200 or so dollar reel like the Revo STX, Sol, Fuego, Zillion, Pixy, Curado, 51 MG, etc. The rod is what gives you the information you need to land the fish. The reel just brings her in and once you hit a certain price point like I mentioned the rest is all luxury. My $0.02 ;)