A question for D.R. and other Revo users...

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

A question for D.R. and other Revo users...

Post by l2yan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:40 am

Hi everyone, I own a STX and it is by far the nicest and most expensive reel I've ever owned. I love throwing light lures and probably use 1/8 oz jigs more than anything else. I have really enjoyed the monster drag on the reel, and that's why I probably wouldnt even consider other "small dragged" baitcasters. I found that I can cast my 1/8 oz jigs pretty far on this baitcaster. This is the first time I could ever cast anything this light with a baitcaster, but also the first time I spent more than about $80 on one (so I figure that's the reason why). I was just wondering if anyone who casts light baits a lot with a Revo thinks that it's a great light lure reel or if it's just about average. I've never used any other nice reel so I have no idea where it stands among others. Also, I kinda pointed this question toward Revo users because I can already imagine all the fanatic posts of Pixy, Sol, and Mg users. I almost opted for the Chronarch Mg before the Revo, but the 10lbs of drag was not enough for the big river I fish in. Most of my spinning reels can get spooled easily! Thanks for the comments.

Ryan

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: A question for D.R. and other Revo users...

Post by capt1fish » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:01 am

Ryan,

You'll probably get a little more distance using the finesse baitcasters that you mentioned, but it sounds like you need the drag capability of the Revo.

If you're serious about using one of the other reels, chances are you'll have to upgrade some parts to get the performance you need, whereas the stock STX seems to be just the ticket. That just adds more $$$ to an (already) expensive reel.

Personally, I'd stick with the STX unless the fish are just out of your casting range. Good luck.

Capt

fish_finder1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fish_finder1 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:24 am

dude i can out cast my mg chronarch any day with revo stx. it is a good all around reel. i throw weightless flukes as far as i can through a rock.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:35 am

fish_finder1 wrote:dude i can out cast my mg chronarch any day with revo stx. it is a good all around reel. i throw weightless flukes as far as i can through a rock.
Are your casts nice and snappy with the mag brake set a couple clicks higher or do you more or less lob weightless flukes with the brakes down?
Last edited by l2yan on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:14 am

Its a good reel, everyone knows it.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:03 am

I think the Revo is by far the best low profile reel for the $$$ that you can get. I have 7 of them.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

fish_finder1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fish_finder1 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:27 pm

Are your casts nice and snappy with the mag brake set a couple clicks higher or do you more or less lob weightless flukes with the brakes down?
i have the mag brake set in the middle and the spool tension knob set to wear it free spools the fluke/worm/senko hits the ground w/ a little backlash the mag/ thumb will take of that.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 pm

Thanks everyone for all the comments. Definitely sticking w/ the revo. Actually, I got Xtreme Reel+ in last week. I removed all my former Hot Sauce grease and oil and used only the Reel+ dry lubricant. So far, it's been amazing! I wonder if many other people know much about it.

Ryan

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:51 pm

D.R. wrote:I think the Revo is by far the best low profile reel for the $$$ that you can get. I have 7 of them.

D.R.
DR: Is that the stock Revo you're commenting on or one with your tune-up? That's a pretty strong statement you made ;) .

Dan

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:02 pm

I am talking about the tuned better than tunned Revo. The stock Revo is a great reel but it shines after about 30 minuets in my fishing room under the light and magnifying glass, a few tools, some ordered parts, and a few special fabricated parts. :lol:

D.R.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:01 pm

Special Edition D.R. STX upgrades about to be released? May be time to buy one. :lol:

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:05 pm

Gameover,

The Revos that I have reworked are not for sale or the public tuning. If you come down this way I wil let you fish with one. You will throw your gear overboard. :lol22:

I can't wait to let Marc use one. :lol:

D.R.

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:08 pm

so when are you gonna share exactly what you did to the reels?

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:28 pm

D.R. wrote:Gameover,

The Revos that I have reworked are not for sale or the public tuning. If you come down this way I wil let you fish with one. You will throw your gear overboard. :lol22:

I can't wait to let Marc use one. :lol:

D.R.
Don't hold your breath until you see me throwing my Pixillas overboard! [-X
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:37 pm

I had one of my machinist fabricate some different parts for some of my Revo's. The cost to replace the parts that I have replaced is way to $$$$ to manufacture.

I have installed titanium main and pinion gears, installed ceramic bearings through out the reels and fabricated a different drag stack configuration. I am still playing with it, but to date they are sweet.

I am thankful that I have such talented machinist and the permission to play.

D.R.