First post...Suggestions on a "mid" level spinning

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
zuren1cs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

First post...Suggestions on a "mid" level spinning

Post by zuren1cs » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:53 pm

I just found this site while searching for reel reviews and am hoping someone can comment, or point me in the correct direction to find info.

I'm looking to replace the Abu Garcia Gold Max reel that I just lost in the lake this weekend. It was paired to a Light action 5'6", 2 pc Ugly Stick. I really loved that setup and cried myself to sleep the night after it happened.

My initial searches for reels have uncovered the Abu Garcia Cardinal 500 ($40), the Abu Garcia Cardinal 300 ($30), and the Fin-Nor Estima ($60). Can any comment on these reels?

The new Mitchell 300s are also attractive but I would rather not give money to what I believe is a French company. I have also seen TICA and Okuma reels. Are these new to the US market? I would prefer to not give money to Pacific rim companies either.

I need to collect as much info as quick as I can since I'll be fishing again next weekend and need to buy a replacement. I will be buying this gear from Cabelas, so if there is a brand or model of reel that they carry that I should look at, I would appreciate a heads-up. Thank you in advance!

dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: First post...Suggestions on a "mid" level spin

Post by dazzle » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:23 pm

I have not used any of the Abu stuff just because, but the Cardinal 500
for $40 doesn't look too bad. And if you're going to be buying it
from Cabelas, they have that return deal. Try the reel and if
you don't like it, you can return it and get something else.

--Daz

derringer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: First post...Suggestions on a "mid" level spin

Post by derringer » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:08 am

tica and okuma reels have been selling in the U.S. for years. they just haven't sold very well so a lot of dealers don't carry them. i've never owned either before and i prefer to stick with the brand i trust the most for my money and that's quantum. that is if you don't have issues with this company. they are a U.S. based company (Tulsa, OK) but many of the components are manufactured overseas