Fluorocarbon Showdown Part 2

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Alexriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Fluorocarbon Showdown Part 2

Post by Alexriver » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:40 am

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this review.

After reading this review, it really makes me want to either stick with Mono or Braid.

The visibility tests were very interesting, it seemed like the trilene XL actually was harder to see.

One thing I would be interested in is to see some abrasian and knot tests after the floro was stretched - if floro does in fact suffer permanent damage from stretch, which would happen after fighting a fish, just how bad the damage is.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fluorocarbon Showdown Part 2

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:21 am

I can deffinatly tell a difference in catch rates when using fluro over mono. So something has got to be in play for me..

The one thing that stood out to me out of the whole test was that the Sunline Shooter FC wasnt effected by anything to any degree what-so-ever yet every other fluorocarbon line was effect to some degree wether it be big or small. I just cant believe a line made of the same material (fluorocarbon) wouldnt show atleast a pinch of the same from other fluoros shown. This is good line dont get me wrong.. but I seriously feel the Gamma on my Steez right now is performing better atm. Then again the cost of this Gamma is obserd and no way would I pay full price for it all the time when you can get FC.

The knot strength was the thing I felt most sure about. Although all lines shown lousy knot strength overall the Palomer actually held its own still and this would explain why I have been using it with my fluoro now all the time with no issue as of yet due to the Polamer knot. Martens ties the Improved Clinch on his fluoros all the time wonder if he knows something we dont. :lol:

Nice write up, cant wait to see the rest..

ricky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ricky » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:15 pm

I read Martens equals double clinch knot, because I tried that knot and it didn't work on the brand I was using, seemed like the line cut into itself, but he's the pro so I probly did something wrong. I use the palomar.

wiper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by wiper » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:31 pm

I did my own series of tests with different brands of fluorocarbon lines last year. I decided to stay with mono. But I only buy bulk spools of line and change it out almost weekly. So that I'am always useing fresh line.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:48 pm

Some very good info there.. Esp. the stretch and recovery data. the main reason I use FC is the less stretch and smaller diameter, without having to resort to braid. From the lines that I have tried, the tests seem to confirm my observations with sme of the lines. That surely helps choosing Which line to match which presentation. No wonder we have more rods and reels than hands and feet. hehe

Great job TT guys..

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:49 pm

BassFreak wrote:Some very good info there.. Esp. the stretch and recovery data. the main reason I use FC is the less stretch and smaller diameter, without having to resort to braid.

Great job TT guys..
This is exactly why I switched to Fluorocarbon on my baitcasters guess FC seems to be the only fluoro on the market that doesnt stretch or be effected in any tests. Oddly the Gamma fluoro on my Steez right now seems to be handling noticeably better then the FC I have and has been landing me way more fish then mono has for me in the past.

I wonder since fluoros denser if that makes it a little more sensitive and that companies are claiming less stretch with it because of how sensitive it is. Between the Maxima mono I use to use and the fluoros I been using I can deffinately feel a sensitivity increase similar to but not as much as you would feel with a braid. No way will I be paying full price on the Gamma fluro though when I can have the FC for a little less. Now if I can keep getting the Gamma fluoro at 19.99 like I have been its going to be tough for me to take FC over it as this stuff handles better then even some limp monos ive tried. I still have a lot of fluoros to test on my own but so far up to this point I have the Gamma in the lead for me. Limpness/Handleing of a line for me is a major thing as I have wide big hands and I think this is why im personally prefering the Gamma over the FC.

Another thing that gets to me is how people say Fluoro is smaller diameter but its not. 10# Trilene XL Mono is .28mm while 10#Gamma and most fluoros is at 0.31 or near it.

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:16 am

yes gameover i agree with some of what your saying. i was using 15 lb p-line halo and loved it spool got low and needed respooled so i said to myself that i don't need to spend all that money on flouro so i jsut went and bought some 17 lb sufix siege during flipping season used it awhile got a tournament check and went and bought some 15 lb regular p-line flouro and it's just SO much more sensitive that it almost feels awkard to pick up my buddies reels with mono on them. Right now I have 8 lb sufix elite on my finesse setup on my energy spinning reel and my g-blanks spinning rod and my dad has 8 lb seaguar carbon pro and he has a shimano clarus and to pick it up it makes my gblanks rod feel shitty just cause of the flouro especially drop shotting in 25 foot of water. It would almost be impossible for me to switch back to mono cause anymore it just feels inferior to me now, but the flouros are so expensive cause I myself have used 16 lb gamma flouro and feel it was the best flouro I've used but shhhhewww the price I dont' have that kind of money I dont' win that many tourneys lol :P.

All that being said and sunline supposed to be such a great product for the same price as most regular flouros I wonder how the sunline siglon stands up to say halo, regular p-line flouro, seaguar, or xps flouro?

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:54 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:
BassFreak wrote:Some very good info there.. Esp. the stretch and recovery data. the main reason I use FC is the less stretch and smaller diameter, without having to resort to braid.

Great job TT guys..
This is exactly why I switched to Fluorocarbon on my baitcasters guess FC seems to be the only fluoro on the market that doesnt stretch or be effected in any tests. Oddly the Gamma fluoro on my Steez right now seems to be handling noticeably better then the FC I have and has been landing me way more fish then mono has for me in the past.

I wonder since fluoros denser if that makes it a little more sensitive and that companies are claiming less stretch with it because of how sensitive it is. Between the Maxima mono I use to use and the fluoros I been using I can deffinately feel a sensitivity increase similar to but not as much as you would feel with a braid. No way will I be paying full price on the Gamma fluro though when I can have the FC for a little less. Now if I can keep getting the Gamma fluoro at 19.99 like I have been its going to be tough for me to take FC over it as this stuff handles better then even some limp monos ive tried. I still have a lot of fluoros to test on my own but so far up to this point I have the Gamma in the lead for me. Limpness/Handleing of a line for me is a major thing as I have wide big hands and I think this is why im personally prefering the Gamma over the FC.

Another thing that gets to me is how people say Fluoro is smaller diameter but its not. 10# Trilene XL Mono is .28mm while 10#Gamma and most fluoros is at 0.31 or near it.
Gameover, Not to seem like I'm picking on you, because I'm not, But I would suggest you do a little more research on some of this stuff brfore posting. 1st. What makes one fluoro better than another is not the fact that they are all "fluoro", but the process that the raw fluorocarbon material is put through before becoming a fluoro line. 2nd. 14lb Sunline Shooter is .031 and 10lb is a lot less, so line diameter is a lot less. (I don't have a spool to check for specifics) Fluorocarbon is a raw material that line is made from, but it is the process that makes them different!
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:59 pm

[quote="illinoisbassfishin"]

All that being said and sunline supposed to be such a great product for the same price as most regular flouros I wonder how the sunline siglon stands up to say halo, regular p-line flouro, seaguar, or xps flouro?

The Sunline Siglon is excellant for dropshotting and open water presentations, it is very limp and easy to manage but with those characteristics the abrasion resistance suffers a little, so I only use it for open water applications!
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

FeloniousCaper
Angler
Angler

Post by FeloniousCaper » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:49 pm

I don't want to tell stories out of school so keep this to yourselves but, XPS flouro is high quality for the price paid(from what I hear). I actually have some buddies from Japan that are serious tourny fisherman and they switched from all the Japanese ,can't find here, Shooter spools to XPS. I use the Shooter spools and they are super high quality. I have yet to try the XPS but I do hear it's quality line. I have a hard time pulling myself away from the Shooter though.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:57 am

For what I look for in Fluoro, looks like XPS is a good line, according to the tests as I havent tried XPS yet. My take on it is, there isnt a line yet that meets all of our wants, so we have to use each lines strengths to match it with what we pan to use it for. then theres the matching the line to the rod. ohh this could go on and on. but to get back on topic, I use fluoro for its less stretch and smaller diameter. Ive tried a few brands out there and ended up with shooter and Sniper. the trade off, Shooter isnt the limpest line but for what I use it for, I'll take that..

GO, Majority of Fluoro lines do have smaller diameter assuming whats printed on the box is true as I havent tested any of them personally, but only compared the labeling. Now if what you say about Trilene XL having a smaller diameter is correct, Then that is more of an exception than the rule. It seems trivial this hundredths of a milimeter, but when I can use 8lb Fluoro thats the same size as 5-6lb mono, it makes a difference.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:58 am

Ill post real quick because I want to get back to espn2 :lol:

I know the process has everything to do with the final product all im saying is I find it hard to believe that the FC isnt showing one weak area so far like every other fluorocarbon has exhibited, atleast one. I know FC is good I have 3 spools of it now and plan to buy more as ill for surely use those up this year. My main focus though is trying as many fluoros as I can and while overall price dont bother me, the price better equal its performance or im not using/buying it (as many wont). When I talked about the Gamma this line isnt perfect either (so I dont want to make like sound superior because its not really) ill be posting what I found bad about it in my Gamma thread not here though. It seems the FC has already won the shootout by placing well or winning in every category shown how many more can there be.

later.

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:14 pm

I fish a lot with braid and fluorocarbon leader XPS.(fresh and salt water).
XPS is very good fluorocarbon line ,but many fishermans don't know is made by Toray -Japan

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:30 pm

Alex,

With all due respect to the testing, many people have known for some time that fluorocarbon lines stretch at similar rates to monofilaments and exhibit poor knot strength, typically at 75% or less.

Fluorocarbons are not thinner in diameter than premium monofilaments, so the only advantage has been the refractive index. Even saltwater commercial fishermen, who first used fluorocarbon lines, are split on this issue, albeit, using much heavier lines. When using typical freshwater poundages and their reduced diameters, no one can say with certainty, if fish can or can not see fluorocarbon lines. Given their greater density, they displace more water and may be actually more "visible" to fish using their sense of "feel".

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:34 pm

Lots of domestic fluorocarbons are made in Japan id say atleast 50% if not more. Lines like Gamma etc are such examples.. they are just processed in the USA.

Sunline is designed, tested, owned, and used by a B.A.S.S. skilled elite pro tournement angler on the water now who's from Japan if my information is correct so its no wonder their lines are some of the best on the market.

Siglon is Sunlines leader material I thought? They sell the small Siglon spools by me locally but I dont buy them because I dont use leaders.

Splash: You can say stuff to me without me feeling like im being picked on :lol: . I know your a good guy.

TTCrew: If its not to late id like to see you guys add the new Berkley Trilene Fluorocarbon in the mix.