Pixy Owners-Need a little help??

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Pixy Owners-Need a little help??

Post by Captain Chaos » Wed May 30, 2007 8:10 pm

I kinda lucked into a Pixy this week on the boards(thanks mark). Been wanting one for a while but really wasn't expecting on having one so soon. I would like to hook up with a fun, medium to medium light finesse type rod. Fun factor is probably my number one consideration. I plan on spooling up 8 lb line....probably use it for finesse applications; small plastics, maybe some light cranks, shakey headin'+4' senkos of course, 1/8 to 3/8 mostly, up to 1/2 sometimes.

I think I've heard good things with the Pixy on an 842 and a Crucial. Any other good rods for this reel??

Thnx

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Pixy Owners-Need a little help??

Post by Scot » Wed May 30, 2007 9:28 pm

St. Croix Avid 6'2" Medium Xtra Fast...FANTASTIC ROD,tons-o-fun, great warranty, won't break the bank, and is surprisingly very versatile and more powerful than you may think yet capable of handling the light stuff :)

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:51 pm

Def look at the crucial 66mds rod..Ive got my tuned yellow pixy on one and its such a fun rod to catch fish on. :lol: Over the counter warranty..the thing is UBER light paired with the pixy and will cover your weight range in lures you are wanting to throw. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:54 pm

I would also recommend a GLoomis CR721 IMX. Too bad that loomis doesn't make this in a 6'4" or so.

Also, the MBR 782 is a great option for your mentioned uses.

I think that the MBR 842 GLX is a little too fast for cranks and the St Croix 6'8" MXF is a rod that is limited practically to more light-med jigs/plastics usage.

I had mine on a custom Rogue MB 703, but if I had to do it again, I would have it on a custom Shikari popping blank cut down to 6'9" or so.

Good luck, that Pixy is lots of fun on lots of rods.

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Thu May 31, 2007 2:07 am

dragon1 wrote:I would also recommend a GLoomis CR721 IMX. Too bad that loomis doesn't make this in a 6'4" or so.
This is one Super fun combo! From 3 in senkos, finesse jigs, Light t-rigs, 1/8 oz rat-l-traps. I've been having a blast fishing the 721.

I think I saw on the St Croix website an Avid 6'6" ML casting rod.

Or call Mattman for a custom

Then there is JDM :evil22:

Redfisher18
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Redfisher18 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:07 am

A 6'6" medium Kistler LTX is another good pixy rod.

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Thu May 31, 2007 4:10 am

dragon1 wrote: St Croix 6'8" MXF is a rod that is limited practically to more light-med jigs/plastics usage.

No its not, You can use that rod for just about anything. Do you own one?

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Thu May 31, 2007 4:12 am

this year Powell is producing a 681 and 701. I think that would be a way cool Pixy rod. I'd like to try it out but funds are low.

Mike

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu May 31, 2007 5:19 am

Another vote for the GLoomis CR721 IMX...super fun rig with a Pixy. :D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Thu May 31, 2007 5:26 am

My Pixzilla is paired to a CR661 IMX... a match made in heaven!

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Thu May 31, 2007 5:31 am

I use the AiRRUS Puls-R and enjoy the heck out of it. I only throw Shaky Heads with it. I have the 6'9" MH.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

babfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by babfish » Thu May 31, 2007 6:05 am

Have mine on a 782 IMX, love it on that rod the two make for a sporty combo.

Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Captain Chaos » Thu May 31, 2007 9:26 am

Seems that most folks like the shorter lengths….,6 6 and below, for finesse casting. Is this a preference or is it easier to keep from overspinning the spool or no big deal?? Also, I keep going back to the Lamiglass XMG 50. That looks pretty fun. The Medium rods are 7 and 7 2 so that is why I am asking about the lengths.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have a list of rods that I will be looking at, that is for sure.

I mentioned to one of the board guys....it is much more difficult picking out a rod than a reel. Can make your head spin with all of the options out there......

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Thu May 31, 2007 9:29 am

mhood wrote:Another vote for the GLoomis CR721 IMX...super fun rig with a Pixy. :D
Well, the orange lion of Lake León has the double fun of fishing with a Pixy, but still any Pixy color is fine. Grinometer gives 10 to CR721/Pixy. ;)

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Thu May 31, 2007 1:53 pm

Long time TT viewer / first time TT poster. Everyone on this forum is great. Thanks for all the great information. Love reading the bearing articals. I work for a custom bearing company (we don't make little bearings for reels, but I've got a GmbH source).

I just broke in my new pixy set-up, last weekend (standard / no modifications yet). I'm very impressed with the whole package. It's on a Powell Max 701 C. The 701 is the perfect match for the Pixy!

Keith Bryan (owner) & Laurie Lindsey (Office Manager), from Powell Products, provided me with excellent customer service. Thank you Zander for the heads-up on this drop shot rod, back in January.

I had the pixy spooled up with 6 lb. X-Tex Yozuri line ($3 Basspro special). Started out throwing LC Clunn 1.5's to break in the bearings. After the tenth cast, the crankbait was flying into the other area code. After that, I dropped down to the LC pointer 65 and it still casted great.

Caught 5 little bass and 3 pike on the Pixy (I caught several more fish on my Alphas ITO/St. Croix Avid 7MF). It was very exhilarating fighting a 32" pike with the Powell/Pixy setup, in my kayak. I did notice that sticky drag on the Pixy.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,
Schlag