Kistler Rods: Guides and Reel Seats

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kistler Rods: Guides and Reel Seats

Post by USA-RET » Mon May 28, 2007 1:51 pm

I notice on my new Kistler LTX, I have to really torque the reel nut down to keep the reel for wiggling in the seat. With Daiwa and Shimano rods, finger tight keeps the reel in place...not sure if this is something unique to Kistler. I have an Alphas on mine..and after doing some reel maintenance and putting the reel back on the rod..then hitting the lake..my first cast always shows I haven't cranked the reel nut tight enough. Then it's "grit the teeth and crank'er down".
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

sdfd504
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sdfd504 » Mon May 28, 2007 2:15 pm

Kistler now uses Fuji reel seats on the rods. It will take some time to get them on all the rods since they can't replace them on the rods that they already had in stock but they should be out on all the rods soon. I would venture to guess that the reel seat that is on your LTX is a Batson seat and there have been some problems with them in the past and that is one of the reasons they switched to Fuji.
Blake Smith
Daiwa Reels, BassCat Boats

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon May 28, 2007 2:48 pm

splash wrote:
raul wrote:The Batson reel seats in my Magnesium rods leave the reel loose. So there´s absolutely nothing good on having a rod where the reel is not sitting tight and in position, never had that problem with the Fuji reel seats in any of my other rods.
Fuji has had that problem in the past, That's why Kistler switched from Fuji and Pac Bay was a short marriage because of the same same. Loomis also experienced this same thing. Fuji or anybody else is not exempt from this. Machine's lose calibration and they wear. It happens. You can bash on Kistler all you want, but look back and you'll see that most have problems at one time or another........
I am not bashing anyone, the problem is right here right now, hundreds of rods were made with that same reel seat that´s causing the problem including mine.

Now Kistler has changed to Fuji but the seats on MY rods will still be Batson and the reels will still be loose unless Kistler does me the favor of changing my 2 times used rods with Batson reel seat for the same rods with Fuji reel seat the reels will still be loose today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Mon May 28, 2007 5:51 pm

Redfisher18 wrote:I have had 2 LTA's were the insert popped out of the guide. Easy to fix, but this has never happened on my fuji guides.
I'm guessing my IMXs & GLXs came with defective guides, I have this problem in 3 rods.

I heard about Raul's problems before, I only have 1 Kistler, LTA 6.6 ML ( 2006 ) and my Alpha F seats perfectly on it. The blue zirconia guides are beautiful by the way.

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Mon May 28, 2007 6:49 pm

raul wrote:
splash wrote:
raul wrote:The Batson reel seats in my Magnesium rods leave the reel loose. So there´s absolutely nothing good on having a rod where the reel is not sitting tight and in position, never had that problem with the Fuji reel seats in any of my other rods.
Fuji has had that problem in the past, That's why Kistler switched from Fuji and Pac Bay was a short marriage because of the same same. Loomis also experienced this same thing. Fuji or anybody else is not exempt from this. Machine's lose calibration and they wear. It happens. You can bash on Kistler all you want, but look back and you'll see that most have problems at one time or another........
I am not bashing anyone, the problem is right here right now, hundreds of rods were made with that same reel seat that´s causing the problem including mine.

Now Kistler has changed to Fuji but the seats on MY rods will still be Batson and the reels will still be loose unless Kistler does me the favor of changing my 2 times used rods with Batson reel seat for the same rods with Fuji reel seat the reels will still be loose today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.
If you call Kistler they will take care of the problem. Seen it done many times. If you don't call, they can't do anything. The "Bash on "Kistler" statement was a generic comment about the general I love or I hate Kistler responses and wasn't directed at you specifically.
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Tue May 29, 2007 8:38 am

Splash you are talking like if I were right across the street from Kistler, don´t you get it ? I´m in another frigging country, what they are going to do ? I purchased the rods from Curricanes.com ( the retailer ) which gets them from Tellez ( the dealer ) which gets them from Kistler, so between me and Kistler there are 2 different people which most probably are not going to do anything, and it´s not just me the one with the problem, my buddy Tony from San Luis has the same problem with the same line of rods, he also purchased Mags, his reels are also loose, from out of 16 reels I have 14 are loose on the reel seat.

I don´t know if the reels seats in other Kistler models are different but so far and for what I´ve seen the problem is present in the Magnesiums.

misr12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by misr12 » Tue May 29, 2007 2:03 pm

Way wrong splash!!!

I sent in two Graphite Plus rods last January with known Baston Reel seat problems and informed him of the issue here on TT my emailing the forum site back then. He thanked me fo doing so. I emailed Trey and he was eager to remedy this situation so I thought. I sent both rods at my cost UPS Tracking # 1ZR37A4203340150014. After one or two emails to inquire on status of my rods Trey' reply was to be patient it was a lengthy process to remove/chip the cork from the reel seats. That''s questionable per my opinons I could be wrong but I did comply.

After waiting 8 business days totaled I called to inquire directly to Kistler and talk with Trey. He was not there. I talked with the receptionist and said she new nothing of these rods delivery and that Kistler did not provide RMA numbers. Trey issued me RMA #12 for these rods via email too. I then emailed Trey and about this and his recpetionist to inform him of her not so pleasant response. He said she was beneath him and went off on me because I did not deal with him directly. He was also was put off at my request that I needed my rods back with the request to return them ASAP next day for upcoming tournament. He replied negatively, said I was the customer that all OEM's can never satisfied. I still have the emails.... Needless to say I responded negavtily back (no cussing), said to keep the rods, and the money per his email tone and he replieded fine see ya! I will donate them. After quckily thinking of his actions I felt compelled to email back, said he had no authorization to donate my rods. He never returned them back to me and never sent money back too. At the end of all this I am out two rods to this date. I have been waiting for this day to rear it's ugly head again and it has. After seeing the TT interview I now understand a little because he is a young man, probably stressed out on the OEM issue with reel seats back then and overreacted to my request. Although, he is wrong I have moved on waiting to inform the community the type of customer service I received. I took it as a loss purchased powell rods with lifetime warranties and couldn't be happier. Trey this is your fautl. I know many Kistler owners will be apologist for Trey and try to shoot down my post put this is a real world experience. Also, I could go throught better business bureau. To much hassel. I will never do busienss with Kistler again. The shame of it is this was a simiple solution that one man's emotions got in the way when it's comes to customer service.

Buyer beware.... Be sure Trey is in a good mood.

splash wrote:
raul wrote:
splash wrote:

If you call Kistler they will take care of the problem. Seen it done many times. If you don't call, they can't do anything. The "Bash on "Kistler" statement was a generic comment about the general I love or I hate Kistler responses and wasn't directed at you specifically.

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Tue May 29, 2007 2:34 pm

Oh man after reading that i feel snapping a Kistler rod over my knee. Trey seems to have alot of enemys these days. Beggs the question why did TT do the Interview :thinking:

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Tue May 29, 2007 3:22 pm

I don't really have an opinion on Kistler rods, or one that's worth posting, but this post reminds me of a recent article in Wired, for those that get it, it was the one with the 'peep show' cover.

The article was about companies airing their faults, displaying a human side, which as was often the case, at least with the interviewed companies, the public had compassion for the companies, and kind of rooted for them, despite their faults.

Maybe baring all, including what components you use, growing pains, temper tantrums, even your faith, would help. It's at least an honest approach.

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Tue May 29, 2007 3:33 pm

i don't have any kistler rods but i use the setyr tactical series rods and they use batson components their guides and reel seats and I really like them. i've had a lot of problems with the falcon lowrider xg and cara rods I have with the new shimano citica reels tightening them down and they make a snapping noise and go loose again like they are stripped out or something. falcon told me it was the new reel foot on the shimano reels that they are shorter and having a lot of troubles with that happening after you take the reel off for maintenance a few times but it's just a fuji reel seat that everyone else uses so there is nuttin they can do about it really. don't get me wrong for 40 bucks to ship it there and ship it back they have sent me two new rods which was 80 bucks altogether lol but hell you couldn't buy two new ones for that. but i have two of the setyr's with batson's and I have shimano citica's on both of them and never had a problem at all with that plus i have one with a scorpion 1000 on it and never had a problem over a year now. now the guides i have no idea i'm not that professional on knowing about rods and guides i don't care about guides as long as they don't cut my line and I can cast I don't care lol, but when you are out fishing and you set the hook on a fish and a brand new citica goes flying in the water cause it came out of the reel seat that's when i start having problems.