Dobyns Powell?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
bigfish2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dobyns Powell?

Post by bigfish2 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:01 am

I've got a question of comparison and hope someone involved with the making of the rods or anyone else for that matter can help shed some light on this

What would be most similar to the powell listed bellow in the dobyns line?
704 CB 7' 0" 8 - 17lb 1/4oz - 3/4oz Mod-Fast Medium

The powell site lists this particular rod under spinnerbaits, topwater, carolina, senkos with that mod/fast taper

DOBYNS has the same stick 704 CB, but listed as a cranking /jerkbait rod...is this model gonna cover the same applications as the powell or is it really a crank specific rod with a parabolic action?

Any input or ideas would be appreciated :)

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Dobyns Powell?

Post by Phippy » Thu May 17, 2007 2:13 am

Powell list their 704CB under Crankbait/Jerbait as well, it's actually a crankbait rod. Rod would be good for spinnerbaits and topwater but no to carolina rig and Senko's.

Dobyns 704CB would be very similar assuming the the lure and line size ratings are the same as the Powell.

Gary Dobyns
Angler
Angler

Post by Gary Dobyns » Thu May 17, 2007 5:08 am

The Dobyns 704CB is a crankbait/jerkbait rod. It has a true mod-fast action. I would not call it parabolic but can see where many anglers would. This rod is pretty "soft". Great for lighter cranks and jerks. This rod is one of our top sellers. I have always been a jerkbait nut and thus the reason there are several options in the CB series. Thanks for the question.

bigfish2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish2 » Thu May 17, 2007 11:35 am

Interesting, but the powell does list the 704 CB under Spinnerbaits, Topwater, Carolina Rigs & Senkos. So I guess I'm still a bit confused. Mr Dobyns did say it is technique specific and right now the powell model if listed correctly is perfect for what I need. The dobyns I'm assuming won't cover as wide a range of baits?
Listing...did notice powell is 8-17 test vs 8-14. only apparent difference
http://powellco.com/sbtwcrs.html

Also wondering about the warranty, no hassle over the couter or is it covered for a fee?

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions Gary. It is appreciated

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Thu May 17, 2007 12:03 pm

bigfish2 wrote:Interesting, but the powell does list the 704 CB under Spinnerbaits, Topwater, Carolina Rigs & Senkos. So I guess I'm still a bit confused. Mr Dobyns did say it is technique specific and right now the powell model if listed correctly is perfect for what I need. The dobyns I'm assuming won't cover as wide a range of baits?
Listing...did notice powell is 8-17 test vs 8-14. only apparent difference
http://powellco.com/sbtwcrs.html

Also wondering about the warranty, no hassle over the couter or is it covered for a fee?

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions Gary. It is appreciated
I don't think anyone would want to use a rod designed for cranks and spinnerbaits for a carolina rig or senko rod! If that's the case, why have technique specific rods? Because a good cranking stick is not a good carolina/senko stick is why. Either the Powell is not listed correctly or it is a stretch to get it in a wider area of use. JMO
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

bigfish2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish2 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Cool, makes sense splash. In my case I don't really have the option of choosing 5 rods for each situation. If there is one rod in the line up you would choose to handle spinners and a wide variety of baits at least sufficiently which one would you choose? I know this q is a bit silly but I'm talking all around use. I'm just curious though why a mod/fast action wouldn't cut it as that all around rod

Again thanks for your help

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Thu May 17, 2007 12:52 pm

Bigfish2, Are you into Glass rods?? If so I would suggest the Dobyns 705CB as being pretty versatile. It's a Spinnerbait, topwater, trap, jerkbait rod :). I'm a pretty big fan glass rods due to their versatility in reaction (Power fishing) type techniques.

Mike
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

bigfish2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish2 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestion mike but not looking for a glass rod, (heavier). I'm looking for sensitivity.
BTW would you happen to have warranty info?

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Thu May 17, 2007 2:56 pm

I really can't give you an answer based on experience since I've never actually used either the Dobyns or the Powell, but going off the Dobyns spec sheet that was posted on here, for an "all purpose" rod I would be looking at the 684CB or the 683C. Now that is just my opinion based on the spec sheet applied. I also tend to use longer and heavier rods than most people do, but those are what I would be looking at for an all around stick.
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

Gary Dobyns
Angler
Angler

Post by Gary Dobyns » Thu May 17, 2007 10:18 pm

Hello bigfish2, Thanks for the question. For a versatile rod that you can throw senkos, carolina rigs, topwater, and cranks you would probably be better off with a 703C than a CB with the mod-fast action. The 703C would not be as good for cranks, but it would work better for all your other techniques. The mod-fast CB would not be a good choice at all for Senkos or carlina rigs. I hope this helps a little. As far as our warranty we are doing an over the counter "No hassle or questions for a $50 fee". You can also send it in for a review, for repair or replacement. Thanks for your question.

bigfish2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish2 » Sat May 19, 2007 12:57 am

Thanks Gary and splash along with all others who have been so helpful! :)

ZPIfan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

bigfish2, a little more clarification re: Powell's

Post by ZPIfan » Sat May 19, 2007 7:51 am

bigfish2, let me help clear some of this up for you. The 704 CB is listed at Powell's site under the catagorized link of "Spinnerbaits, Topwater, Carolina Rigs & Senkos". This in no means is stating that all the rods listed under this category are these particular "Technique Specific" rods. It's a mis understanding by the readers. It's simply a short cut to the rods that fit these particular techniques. For example, the 704 CB is a great rip bait rod and spinnerbait rod, while the 733 CEF is a PERFECT Senko rod. Please do not be mis understood that all of the rods listed in the link of "Spinnerbaits, Topwater, Carolina Rigs & Senkos" are rods that are "Technique Specific" for those listed techniques. The link is simply a link to the rods that work for those particular techniques (each has it's own specified technique specific action). Confusing to some? Maybe. If you have any further questions regarding the Powell products, please do not hesitate to contact me and I would be more than happy to answer any and all questions regarding the Powell products.
As far as the Powell Warranty, please go to this link for an official statement regarding this matter.
powellco.com/warranty.html
Sunline, Powell Rods, Team Daiwa, NoSweat Mist, Kaenon, Pepper Custom Lures, Ichiban Minnow & ZPI