Casting Revo STX?????

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
bereta1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Casting Revo STX?????

Post by bereta1 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:09 pm

Just broke down and bought a new Revo STX. I have 2 Shimano 100d's and 2 MG 50's. Both out cast the Revo and I didn't think that was supposed to happen. Is there a trick to casting the STX ? Short of maxxing the drag and tension knob I cant keep the thing from backlashing. Seems to occur in the middle of the cast and I'm sure I'm sacrificing distance because of the high settings. I'm not talking lite lures either. :?: :cry: TKU

sweden14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Casting Revo STX?????

Post by sweden14 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:03 pm

My advice would be to start with the mag brake set to max. Cast, reduce brake one click, rinse and repeat. :)

Mine 2 both cast great, but it did take a few minutes of playing with it to get comfortable casting.

fish_finder1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fish_finder1 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:47 am

i have three of these reels and no problem casting what so ever. i can cast further than all my shimano's. you if you dont like it you can send it to me :lol:

bereta1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bereta1 » Wed May 16, 2007 5:15 am

Fishfinder, I'll make you a good deal, I'll cut the tax and you can hve it for 199.95. Been used about 30 minutes. I'll keep my Shimano's.

Steve_IA
Angler
Angler

Post by Steve_IA » Wed May 16, 2007 6:36 am

bereta1 wrote: Been used about 30 minutes.
This answers the questions I have about your post.

litterbox
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by litterbox » Wed May 16, 2007 6:43 am

Steve_IA wrote:
bereta1 wrote: Been used about 30 minutes.
This answers the questions I have about your post.
No offense, but I'll keep my Shimanos also. To each their own I guess.

bereta1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bereta1 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:20 am

Steve, I can tell within the first cast or two whether or not the reel will work for me. Never backlashed my Shimano's once when I fished them out of the box. The Revo drove me nuts until I went to max setting. No offense, this wasn't my first fishing experience.

nfocus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nfocus » Wed May 16, 2007 7:38 am

The STX is just a lot hotter reel out of the box than most of the Shimanos I've thrown in the past. It takes a little more getting used to, but 30 minutes isn't enough. My STX outcasts just about everything I have except for a couple of Daiwas that I've tricked out.

bereta1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bereta1 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:41 am

What is the trick to getting used to it. I threw 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 oz, and still it backlashed. What do most set it on initally. I gave up.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed May 16, 2007 8:07 am

I can understand backlashes and adjustment on light weight baits or in wind conditions. I have had to learn this with my Daiwas. I can't understand needing to adjust to anything throwing dense 1/2oz spinnerbaits unless the wind was blowing 30mph of if I was a new baitcast user. just my 2 cents.

P.S. You might return the reel for a new one to see if it fixes the problem. When people love something lke the STX and you think it bad you could have a brake problem.

mktrout
Angler
Angler

Post by mktrout » Wed May 16, 2007 8:10 am

i have the same reels as you do. When I got my stx the first time I went out I hated it, but now I love it. You just have to figure it out, 30 minutes to try to get the hang of a new reel is a joke. Its a much hotter reel than my shimanos. It seems like the spool spins a lot faster then them, you just have to get used to it.

nfocus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nfocus » Wed May 16, 2007 11:51 am

Bereta1,

Here's how I learned to throw my STX:

1.) First, anytime I want to learn a new reel I spool it with 14lb Trilene XL. It's cheap and one of the most forgiving lines I've seen.

2.) I've got an old beat up 1/2 oz Rat-L-Trap I use for a practice plug (minus hooks, of course). Hardly anything casts better than a lipless crank.

3.) I tighten the tension knob until the bait slowly falls to ground and you get maybe one loop of overrun at the most.

4.) Crank the magnetic cast all the way down.

5.) Cast, cast, cast with it on these settings, then back the magnetic control off. I usually go more than 1 click, usually 2.

6.) repeat step 5 until you get to a braking level you like.

7.) Ease off on the tensioner and cast, cast cast...

8.) Repeat #7 as you feel necessary.

Anyway, that's how I got a handle on my STX. It's a different beast from my Daiwas, but man, am I glad I got it!

As was mentioned earlier, if you can't get a handle on it, you might want to exchange it for another one. It's a hot reel, but it's definately not an umanageable one.

-D

tournament
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tournament » Wed May 16, 2007 2:59 pm

i had a similar problem, but i found out that some dumb dude had taken out the disk in the tension knob. so i returned it and asked for one fresh outa the box. but i normally cast with the mag dail on max, and it still casts far. i can cast a spro frog 200-250 feet easy.

wingman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wingman » Wed May 16, 2007 4:08 pm

I have the revo sxl and I had some problems in the beginning. Just kept on casting until i got used to it. Once you get the feel for it though, that reel can cast a mile. I think they're one of the best reels for the money.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Wed May 16, 2007 4:17 pm

tournament wrote:i had a similar problem, but i found out that some dumb dude had taken out the disk in the tension knob. so i returned it and asked for one fresh outa the box. but i normally cast with the mag dail on max, and it still casts far. i can cast a spro frog 200-250 feet easy.
That's almost the length of a football field.