Should Pro-Staffers Make Their Allegiance Known?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
fishing 247
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Should Pro-Staffers Make Their Allegiance Known?

Post by fishing 247 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:33 pm

Just what the topic says, should pro-staffers that post on this site make their status known?

I've noticed a lot of them really push their "brands" whenever someone asks for input about rods, reels, line, lures, etc. I've noticed it a bit more in the rods and lures discussions the most. Almost seems misleading when someone joins up to ask for advice on a rod or something and the pro staffers jump in and glorify their supporters product. What u guys think?

promax
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Should Pro-Staffers Make Their Allegiance Known?

Post by promax » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:44 pm

I think people should know shimano has a lifetime warrenty on rods from 40 bucks up and you can catch a lot of fish with nightcrawlers lmao .If there are pro staffers here endorsing there products.they should send anyone who reponds to there post a free sample of what they worship.I mean if it is that darnnnnnnnnn good it shouldnt be a problem !!!

avid
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by avid » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:47 pm

To me this an absolute must.
Integrity is everything. If you are promoting a product and extolling it's virtues while all the time hiding the fact that you are affiliated with the company, then I will feel like you are sneaky, and not to be trusted.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:09 am

From this moderator's perspective: While I agree that we should be able to "see" a Pro-staffer's patches, it seems to me that it would be a nightmare to administrate. :?

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:47 am

fishing 247 wrote:Just what the topic says, should pro-staffers that post on this site make their status known?

I've noticed a lot of them really push their "brands" whenever someone asks for input about rods, reels, line, lures, etc. I've noticed it a bit more in the rods and lures discussions the most. Almost seems misleading when someone joins up to ask for advice on a rod or something and the pro staffers jump in and glorify their supporters product. What u guys think?
Yes! That would be so nice, But as Mhood has said, it would be almost impossible to administrate.

Mike

avid
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by avid » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:55 am

I don't see the problem.
Just create a sig line and require that all affiliation be listed.
Sig lines are common on fourms, so I don' think it's much of a technical feat.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:03 am

avid wrote:and require that all affiliation be listed.
That's the problem... how do you enforce that?

What's to stop a pro-staffer from signing up to the forum under a generic user name with a generic email address? There's no way we can effectively monitor something like that.

It makes more sense for people to take all advise with a grain of salt and a bit of common sense that overzealous recommendations or denouncements probably come with a hidden agenda - pro staff or not.

There's no substitute for critical thinking ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:25 am

What's to stop anyone from BSing all over the place?
I agree it would be good to have that information. Plus it could allow us to ask specific question thru MP to the right person. If somebody wants to hide his connection to a business there's no stoping that anyway.
It doesn't hurt to keep some "critical thinking" anyway!

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:01 am

I am currently sponsored by:
Kistler Rods
Team Daiwa
Sunline
Hobie Polarized
Minn Kota
Hummnibird
Also several lure companies, but these are the ones that will usually come up in disagreements. I chose these companies because I think/thought they are the best. I used them all for at least a year before submitting a resume to be sure. You can usually tell a newbie prostaffer because they start jumping into every thread and making comments like, "you should really check out so and so" or "look at these, they are THE very best, you just need to trust me on this". I've been guilty of this in the past myself, but not in order to try to get you to buy something, but because I was that excited about it. Not all prostaffer's will try to mislead you to get you to buy their companies products, but there are some. As Cal said, use common sense when reading these forums, there is no absolute best product for everybody. What works best for me won't necessarily be best for someone else. Take what you read and pick out what sounds interesting about each product and base your decision on what sounds like it will work best for you!
Last edited by splash on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:05 am

Also, after you've been here a while, you begin to notice the posters who recommend the same thing over and over again... ;)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:15 am

mhood wrote:Also, after you've been here a while, you begin to notice the posters who recommend the same thing over and over again... ;)
just like fishing... you gotta put your time in on the forum ... ;)

:lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:17 am

mhood wrote:Also, after you've been here a while, you begin to notice the posters who recommend the same thing over and over again... ;)
Well, that could mean several things, such as we're still using it and still believe in it even tho we're not sponsored, same but we are sponsored or we're full of crap and just trying to promote our sponsor's whether we believe in them or not! I have a couple of sponsor's whose products I had some initial success with and was pretty high on that I never mention anymore and when my contract is up I won't renew. I've also had sponsors who after beginning a relationship with decided I didn't like their business ethics and pulled out. It's our job as sponsored anglers to promote the products, but most of us won't lie about them, we just won't say anything. Unfortunately there are some that will say anything for anybody just to be a "sponsored Angler", and those are the ones that make a bad name for the rest of us, and the one's that created the term that is so loosely used on here now as "patch pirates".
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

Vladimir_Kazan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Vladimir_Kazan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:28 am

Attachments
100.gif
100.gif (4.38 KiB) Viewed 5013 times

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:36 am

I suppose the Pro-staffers are the "Another" right Vladimir? ;)

Vladimir_Kazan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Vladimir_Kazan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:44 am

Let's vote?
(in sense, what it is right to outline)