Should Pro-Staffers Make Their Allegiance Known?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Should Pro-Staffers Make Their Allegiance Known?

Post by brokeneye » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:02 am

sooner or later...one way or another...prostaffers make their allegiances known anyway.

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:14 am

Right, I'll nail my colours to the mast. I am not sponsored by any company, but I do work for Orvis. :D

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:19 am

If tournament anglers aren't welcome here, you need to just let us know. I know of a few that have already left but I keep hoping that I'm just interpreting this stuff wrong. I thought that this is what the tackle and bass fishing sections was for, to discuss our preferences, likes and dislikes among the different vendors, but it's been pointed out that I have been wrong before, maybe I am now. I'm confused here! :?
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:36 am

Splash,

I would miss your input on this forum. You have always been very constructive in your posts. I think most pro-staffers could take a lesson or two from Splash on how to conduct himself on an Internet Forum.

Now, the posters that bash one product over another ....I'd like to know there allegiances.

Mike

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the kind words! With that said, I was kinda pickin' at mhood as a carry over from a previous thread, in jest, I might add, but at times it does seem like us tournament guys are not too welcome in some of the posts. I have learned a lot from this forum and would like to continue to do so. We have an opinion and I like to express mine and can assure you that they are not influenced by a sponsorship allegiance. I say what I think regardless of sponsor or not and hate the bashing of one company over another. I do get "passionate", (or pissed) somethimes when my favorites are getting slammed, but if I didn't believe in them it wouldn't bother me. Some of the folks who' opinions I re4spect the most on here are the very ones that tick me off the most, most times. This is one of the best learning sites I've ever seen and have had lots of others that I've asked to sign in say the same things, but as tournament anglers it gets a little insulting at times. I know, I'm thin skinned, but I can't help it! :)
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

sdfd504
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sdfd504 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:41 pm

Like Andy, I am sponsored by several companies and I don't even think about picking up a sponsor unless I know their product is top notch and I have used it for year or so. I believe in all the companies I am sponsored by 200% and I am not one to bash competitors products. Just because I believe in the product doesn't mean that everybody will like it but I am just here to help out with any questions that come up about the products.

I am sponsored by:
Kistler Rods
Daiwa Reels
Sunline
Hamby's Beaching Bumpers
Blake Smith
Daiwa Reels, BassCat Boats

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:44 pm

The more you get hit and survive, the thicker your callouses. ;)

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:52 pm

Spash wrote:
I say what I think regardless of sponsor or not and hate the bashing of one company over another.

I agree with you Splash.

I can't stand guys who trash reels that other guys use. Especially in cases where it becomes obvious they have never used the tackle to begin with. I too wish that TT users with sponsors would be more open. In the long run, it's the only way I think they can gain respect for their opinions and the tackle they prefer.

To paraphrase a saying: Never trust a guy who chooses to make himself look good by making another guy look bad.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:52 pm

Correct me if im wrong but isnt it a forum rule to post your affiliation with a company?

Its all stereotyping them in a way saying that all pro staffers or people with affiliations with that company almost surely defend and recommend it even if a better recommendation exists. This probably is mostly true but I doubt every single person affiliated does this.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:59 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:Correct me if im wrong but isnt it a forum rule to post your affiliation with a company?
Those rules/guidelines were put in place in reference to retail stores, not product companies.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:06 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:Correct me if im wrong but isnt it a forum rule to post your affiliation with a company?

Its all stereotyping them in a way saying that all pro staffers or people with affiliations with that company almost surely defend and recommend it even if a better recommendation exists. This probably is mostly true but I doubt every single person affiliated does this.
It is not a board rule to post your affilliation and couldn't be enforced if it was! With that said, if and when we can put signatures back on here I will gladly post all my sponsors. I thinl also that most prostaffers will speak highly of their respective sponsors products if they believe in them. The ones that will blindly argue with you about mine's better than yours are the exception instead of the rule, You notice it so much because they are the ones calling attention to themselves while the rest quitely and professionally do what they do, give their opinions where asked or needed and bowing out of the heated debates, a place I fail at sometimes.
Marc, my callous's are getting pretty thick. Granny would be trimming them off by now!
Splash

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:17 pm

I like the idea of posting affiliations, but honestly, if the intention of this thread was to call out all pro staffers, I'd bet you've got most of them. At least the everyday forum members that are on a staff. I really do think many people are very passionate about a few products, and we begin to assume things about those people.

I have no affiliations except that I'm in a bass club and my team partner makes his own lures (some pretty sweet baits too). I rarely talk about them because of the guidelines for retailers, but I'm just being paranoid there. I'm lucky to get a great deal of free baits from him, but the only intention is to help test baits and to help me catch more fish in tournaments for the team!

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:23 pm

It's a shame we suck so bad z-man :)

I make baits, and take pics and show them, but don't think I've ever pushed them on anyone, more for me that way :)

JBA
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JBA » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:26 pm

I think that all information and advice is good even if the person that is giving it is sponsored. There is still alot of us that are not sponsored that are willing to give an honest opinion on something. I always ask local anglers or tackle shops about certain products to see how they perform before I make a decision.

avid
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by avid » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:31 pm

I don't get it.
This is not about hostility, or bashing.
It's not about what is enforceable or not.
It's about intergrity.
If you are sponsored by a company it should not be a secret.
It is inherently deceptive to promote a product when you are part of their team.
I understand when Tiger Woods drives off in his buick that he is payed alot to do so. I don't doubt that he has a Lamborghini in his garage as well.
I don't think it has anything to do with tournament guys being welcomed or not. It's all about intergrity. If your telling me that Mustad hooks for example, are the best but not mentioning that they sponsor you, I would consider that a deliberate deception. A dishonest act, and would question every statement you made after that.
It's just that simple.
avid