Alternative to Fish Hedz Masks

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Alternative to Fish Hedz Masks

Post by matrix » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Hope this is in the right forum category :)

For those of u that use Masks/Helmets whilst underway in ur speedy boats, are the Fish Hedz masks the only option?

I think some of the masks made for Paintballers look awesome but am afraid it might get a tad noisy with wind going thru the many gaps in these masks:

Can anyone post up pics of what ur wearing or recommend alternatives to the ones by Fish Hedz?

Thanks

:)

PS Pic is from ebay (seller by the name of pbwizard3)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alternative to Fish Hedz Masks

Post by Cal » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:17 pm

yeah... i'd be concerned with the wind getting through those ventilation holes and basically defeating the purpose of wearing the mask in the first place. Is there a reason you don't like the Save Phace product?

I finally broke down and bought one and like it a lot although it does make my boat feel REAL slow now!
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JIP » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:37 pm

Some people on the forum wear motorcycle helmets. That'll keep you warm and protected for sure, but I remember some said it's heavy!
JIP - TackleTour.com
http://www.tackletour.com

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:56 pm

That was my biggest concern Cal, those vents might cause some severe whistling inside the mask.

Its not that I dont like the Fish Hedz/Save Phace masks, was just looking for alternatives.

As for helmets JIP, I've already tried it :lol: and yup, its friggin HEAVY, not to mention pretty warm (in summer)

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:44 pm

Another problem with those style masks is the flat lens. It will virtually eliminate your peripheral vision. With the Save Phace (Fish Hedz) masks you still have most all the peripheral vision as well as the anti-fog and scratch resistant lenses. And starting at $59.99 they're not that much more expensive!
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

Old Bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Old Bob » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:15 am

The biggest problem wearing anything over your face while operating a boat at perhaps speeds of 60-70 mph, is the ability to see. Yes confort, noise control, and protection of eyes, nose, & ears are also very important. The only bad part of the Hedz masks is they do fog up, regardless of what they say. If they fog up and you can't see where you are going, then they become useless. Now I know some of you are going to say that they will send a replacement lense, I have the replacement lense. Sorry but IMHO at times these masks are useless. I did not always feel this way but when the temp. is cold they fog up.

Mo Bass Fish'n
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mo Bass Fish'n » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:00 am

I don't truly believe there is an alternate that works as effectively. I used to be on their pro staff. I voluntarily removed myself because of time constraints.

I have both likes and dislikes concerning the FishHedz mask. I also have a high end motor cycle helmet and have used one for 3 decades. My biggest complaint is that they (fishhedz) are not everything that the company says they are, but what is these days? Yes, they do fog, but what doesn't. Even sun glasses fog on cold mornings if you wear them tightly. And yes, they do get scratched up. But, with care, I think it is simply the best product out there. They take up less space, they do block wind to both your face and ears. One of the things that anglers going 70 mph in todays modern bass boats take for granted is their ears. The noise from that wind is going to shorten the life span of your hearing! These masks make an unbelievable difference in visibility and ear protection. I've learned that if you don't put it on until the boat is under power and creating a wind force, it helps with the fogging very much. Also, the way you wear them makes a difference. If your breath gets to the lense on a cold morning, they will fog, the trick is to wear them a little higher up on the bridge of your nose until you are going faster. Then you can pull it down to where it is more comfortable. You have to work a little to get the best performance out of them, but, like the thread questions, is there a viable replacement.

Old Bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Old Bob » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:29 am

You and I are saying the same thing. If you can stop the mask from fogging they protect everything else as the Company says. However the Company also says they will not fog and they will. If they fog up you can't wear them, unless you like going down the lake blind, so what good are they then as for protecting your nose, face and ears? I have two, if my rider doesn't care about seeing it works great for him, but since I am running the boat I like to see where I am going. You are right about your breath, if you didn't have to breathe they would work great.

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:35 pm

Old Bob wrote:You and I are saying the same thing. If you can stop the mask from fogging they protect everything else as the Company says. However the Company also says they will not fog and they will. If they fog up you can't wear them, unless you like going down the lake blind, so what good are they then as for protecting your nose, face and ears? I have two, if my rider doesn't care about seeing it works great for him, but since I am running the boat I like to see where I am going. You are right about your breath, if you didn't have to breathe they would work great.
This past winter I used mine with the latest lenses in 19 degree temps with no fogging. I have had trouble with fogging in the past, but I do believe they have finally got it fixed.
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

Old Bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Old Bob » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:20 pm

Splash, well I certainly hope you are right at least you are satisfied. I'm only on my 2nd pair of lenses that they said didn't fog up.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:29 pm

I bought a couple of Fish Hedz in December and noticed some fogging on an extremely wet day (not very cool temp.). It could have been my specs I was wearing underneath. There are anti-fog treatment cloths available in ski shops that might help. If it continues to be a problem, I will contact the maker for the replacement lenses. I sure don't want an unprotected Lake Fork barn swallow or giant dragonfly strike at 70 mph! :shock:

TB

Old Bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Old Bob » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:39 pm

Texas, yes that would certainly sting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a partner a few yrs ago get hit in the head by a sea gull, but I was only going about 50, still not fun.

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:05 am

splash wrote:And starting at $59.99 they're not that much more expensive!
Actually the paintball masks that I like go for around 90-99USD on ebay, but these come with the battery operated fans built in( :!: ), this supposedly helps prevent fogging, and the lens also supposedly afford good peripheral vision (it'd better! wouldnt wanna get nailed by the enemy!)

In any case, I wont be going 70mph but my good buddy's new boat might hit 50+mph so I'll just keep looking for a suitable mask for us.

Kinda wondering why there arent more options tho :?: ,given the number of ppl in the US that own bass boats...hmmm

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:35 am

Matrix,

My boat doesn't do 70... it goes MAYBE 45 tops - more like 40 or less these days with all the gear we're packing in! :lol: That's why it took me so long to get a Fish Hedz/Save Phace product.

In anycase, what I had been using up until then are just a good pair of wrap around shades like the Oakley M-Frames or Half Jackets. Of course, these cost a lot more than the masks, but you don't have to put them on and off either. Doesn't protect the rest of your face, or your ears, but it does protect your eyes.

Just a comment is all.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:03 am

Thanks Cal.

I used to wear the exact same Oakleys as yours, those eventually went to shades heaven after one too many suicidal ski runs, then I wore Oakley ski goggles, which didnt do much for my cheeks (rain drops STING when ur cheeks are half frozen and ur flat out in the boat)

I forgot to mention that all the shades I've had, which did deflect some of the wind, still lets enuff thru to dry out my contacts, which feel like small disks of sandpaper :cry:

Its looking more and more like I'm gonna have to Fish Hedz to Save Phace :)

Matt