Crawfish/frog lures

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Crawfish/frog lures

Post by gyro » Wed May 21, 2003 7:06 pm

I've never used crawfish lures before but saw some Rebel crawfish lures at Walmart today. Anyone use them before? Are they just as effective as spinners/husky jerks/etc when fishing for freshwater fish?

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Crawfish/frog lures

Post by bitesize » Thu May 22, 2003 12:13 pm

Crawdad colored or lures that mimic crawdads or crayfish do work.
Live ones are great too.

Frog lures, I think it depends on the lake. Some lakes with a lot of vegetation will of course work better than others. I threw the weedless frog before with fish blowing up on it, but it's hard to hook them sometimes. Make sure you allow the fish to take and inhale the frog lure before you set the hook hard! Then start dragging it out of the weeds.

KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by KoYak » Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:51 am

Gyro,

Crawfish imitating lures have worked great for me. Crawfish colored Bandit 100s, and a Jig and Pig (I think it is supposed to imitate a crawfish) have woked great for me the last few weeks on tidal potomac.

Mike

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:28 pm

Thanks for the tip, KoYak. I just bought a weedless frog lure today and i'll be trying it out on a good pike lake sometime this week. I'll try my Rebel crawfish lure too to compare.