Shimano Sahara ???

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
bereta1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Sahara ???

Post by bereta1 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:47 am

Looking for a less expensive reel and wondering about the Sahara. Thoughts or recommendation, please. TKU Garry :? :?

Sorry wrong forum!!!

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Shimano Sahara ???

Post by ChuckE » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:17 am

Garry,
Here's a very good start, with Zander's review:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanosahara.html

I'll also move this to the Tackle Forum, where you'll probably get more general input.

Chuck

Aristotle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Aristotle » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am

The sahara is a pretty good reel. You might also want to look at the Daiwa Exceler reel; it is in the same price range. I have both, and I prefer the exceler reel.

bigzfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigzfish » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:34 am

Great all-around reel for the price. For $20 more, the Symetre gets you an additional bearing and slow oscillation on the spool. Can't go wrong with either one, IMO.

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:42 am

Aristotle wrote:The sahara is a pretty good reel. You might also want to look at the Daiwa Exceler reel; it is in the same price range. I have both, and I prefer the exceler reel.
Ditto! I HAD both... sold the Sahara, kept the Exceler. Not to say Shimano doesn't have a decent low to mid range spinning reel, but I think you have to bump up to the Symetre to get it! JMHO, Gadget

ksdog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ksdog » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:25 am

I have a sahara and exceler as well. Same price. The exceler was just recently bought and the sahara has been fished hard and holding up well. So....everyone knows the shimano is reliable, but out of the box I like the exceler.

Bandit
Angler
Angler

Post by Bandit » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:19 pm

I know nothing about the Sahara reel but I just came back from Costco in Bozeman and they have the Sahara reel/ Shimano rod combo for $39. I see in the BPS catalogue the reel alone is $59.99.

Cheers......."The Bandit"

bryfmd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bryfmd » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:02 am

I recommend this spinning reel to a friend. He has used it several times in many different situations...and he really seems to like it...for the price...I think its a good reel.

Bryfmd

Zest
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zest » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:05 am

the 750 size is lovely,change the bush for bearing and you'll get the same symetry smoothness

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:38 am

For my bucks, the Shimano Symetre is worth the extra dollars, however, the Sahara should provide plenty of trouble free use. I currently own and fish both, but for future purchases would favor the Symetre.

Susintasalmonguide
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix