Capricorn closed vs Stradic open drag systems

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Capricorn closed vs Stradic open drag systems

Post by gyro » Tue May 20, 2003 10:54 am

Submitted by bassman (64.231.217.20) from COLORADO on 5/19/03 8:58:00 AM

I have read that the Shimano Stradic has an open drag system not good for sandy or gritty water. Whereas, the Daiwa Capricorn has a closed drag system. see tackletour.com . Just wondering, what does that exactly mean....does that mean the capricorn is sealed and the stradic is not?? Plus, why would Shimano make an open drag system not good for sandy or gritty water?

Also had the same question from your comparison review. From the pic, it looks like the Capricorn had a wider surface area to seal the drag but more grime inside.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Capricorn closed vs Stradic open drag systems

Post by gyro » Sat May 31, 2003 9:26 pm

"1) A sealed drag actually is a inner seal on the drag so contaminates cannot actually enter the drag disks. The area you are seeing is where the outer shell of the drag places pressure on the spool. Notice the Stradic' drag is noticeably open...with only a small outer pressure pin, unlike the large surface area of the Capricorn. The "grime" you see is actually grease from the spool. Daiwa puts additional grease there to fascilitate better contact, and smooth perfromance when the outer drag plate comes in contact with the spool...its not actually grime.

2) I'm answering this post from home,a nd those numbers are back in the lab, so I can't remember the exact lb pressure. We use a shimano and rapala spring scale to measure drags. As I remeber the Capricorn was about 8-12% better.

3) Daiwa did not confirm with me but I suspect this is not actually tintanium nitride, it appears to be a anodized alloy of some type. it does resist scratching but is not much slicker. Coated spools in theory should cast better, but the diference is almost indistiguishable. More importantly is the shape of the lip, and the diameter of the spool.... Daiwa's ABS is a real winner...less curls=less memory=smoother, longer cast. "