Braid problems

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Braid problems

Post by jholton » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:48 am

I spooled my Pixy up with 8/1.5 Stealth. After about the tenth cast or so, it started digging into the spool. I would cast, about 1/4 the way out, the lure snaps back :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Is it the Stealth or the diameter or what. I had larger braid on my other baitcaster, and it did the same thing.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Braid problems

Post by mhood » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:26 am

Better the lure snaps back than what happened to me over and over again...the braid would snap and my lure was long gone...some of my longest and most expensive casts to date. I never did really figure it out but ended up using Hybrid on casting rigs and using PPro only on the short line rigs.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

BillyBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BillyBass » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:08 am

Lemme tell you what I did with My Stealth, when I got back from one fishing trip, I ripped the spool off my spooling machine and threw it in the ditch behind my house, but, my reaction was a bit milder with Power Pro, it just went in the trashcan, however, I have some Suffix Performance Braid on the way, as my last ditch effort to use braid, well, Flouro on a spinning reel is another animal, I'll see If Gamma or Sunline solves that problem, of course backyard casting won't tell the tale for either, and I eagerly await spring for the True test. Good Luck.

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:18 am

I had the same problems with 10/2, 15/4 and 20/6 braids, re: spool snap back. Now I never use less than 30 lb. Braid on baitcasters. I do however use Flouro leaders for drop shotting, jerkbaits. and some plastics. Sometimes it's a bit of a hassle tying these leaders but the benefits, at least for my style of fishing, are worth it. The new Spiderwire Ultracast is very good. Smoother and rounder than PP.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:35 am

i ahve never experimented with low pound test braids. I use 30-65 and it works okay. I had some probelms with the braid digging into my spool, but it was minor. I don't know how hard you cast, but that could also be affecting.

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:22 am

I've only ever had the problem once, and it cost me a pike that I would estimate at 25lb-30lb, plus a 110g Ace Scud that was only on its second cast.

The braid was 50lb Whiplash. The fish hit the lure at about 35yds and fought exceptionally hard. She evaded the net on the first go and decided to make a hard run when she got close for the second time. That run ended at the bedded braid. It snapped like cotton with the fish about 15ft from me, she sulked for a few seconds and then swam off with my Scud.

Since then the braid has never once bedded in.

For me the worst thing was leaving a lure in a fish. Luckily though she appeared to be lightly hooked on the tail treble only.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:30 am

BillyBass wrote:Lemme tell you what I did with My Stealth, when I got back from one fishing trip, I ripped the spool off my spooling machine and threw it in the ditch behind my house, but, my reaction was a bit milder with Power Pro, it just went in the trashcan, however, I have some Suffix Performance Braid on the way, as my last ditch effort to use braid, well, Flouro on a spinning reel is another animal, I'll see If Gamma or Sunline solves that problem, of course backyard casting won't tell the tale for either, and I eagerly await spring for the True test. Good Luck.

With the roundness of the Sufix Performane Braid, you will not have that happen unless you get hung up and and really crank on the snag to get it out. If that happens then do a short cast till the line stops, pull a couple extra yards out then reel back in. Very seldom do you have to do this. SPB is the best braid out there that I have used.

Plus you dont get the rot and breakoff while casting that MHood was talking about.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

islandbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by islandbass » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:39 am

There is nothing wrong with the line or your reel.

It is an inherent characteristic of braid to experience line dig as you have, the thinner in diameter you go. THis is why I use at least 30# braid. Using light lures is another culprit. They simply don't have the weight to "break free" from any line dig as heavier weighted lures can.

The best ways to minimize this is to take your rod and reel out of the equation when you attempt to free snags, operating with a lighter drag and spooling the line on the spool initially fairly tight. Also, if you have to pull off line after the cast, do so while the spool is still disengaged with your thumb placing minimal pressure on the spool to prevent overrun as you pull off the line. If your drag is tight while you do this, you could be making the line dig into itself. As mentioned, rounder braids help alleviate it somewhat. IMHO stealth, while an excellent line, seems to be flatter to me than say power pro.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:39 am

Had this problem in a major way with Stren 30# braid. Switched to a heavier gauge Powerpro (40#) and maybe have seen one such incident in maybe a year. I'm guessing that the increased diameter is only part of the fix and the rest is a more round line oriented or something like this.

Regardless, until someone in this forum tells me a brand name of a line they can throw in a 20 or 30# flavor that does not dig, I will stay with 40# or bigger and a leader if I need it. Like others, I use Braid only when it adds value in catching a fish and use hybrid line otherwise. I'm really starting to leverage this on my spinning reels with 15# braid as my standard and a bit of a leader if I need it.

smallykiller
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by smallykiller » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:57 pm

I use 4/10 fireline and 10lb spb on my presso setup and I don't have any line digging problems. From my experience, fireline is the best small diameter superline. I believe it is also stronger than small diameter braided lines and is more managable due to being less flexible.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:39 pm

I use to use Spider Wire and Power Pro. Power Pro I thought couldnt get any better for a braided line that was until I found Sufix Performance Braid. I use it exclusively for everything just about. 20LB test in Moss Green is my cup of tea.

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jholton » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:48 pm

I've even had problems with 65# Stealth. I absolutely love Stealth on a spinning reel.
It seems to me a lighter lure wouldn't pull the line hard enough to make it dig in.
I just got some 10/4 Fireline to try out. I just thought it made too much noise before, but that was with metal guides. If this doesn't work, I'll try Sfx. braid. If that doesn't work, Yo-zuri soft 4#.

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jholton » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:06 am

:evil: :evil: :evil: Fireline did the same thing :evil: :evil: :evil:
Went this morning. When it got light enough to see what I was doing, I decided to kick it up a notch and see how far this Pixy can sling a senko! SNAP :!: My senko snapped in half and the bottom half of it shot across the lake at Mach 2!
Kbookert, are you sure the roundness of the Sfx braid will fix this. I stopped by the local tackle shop and asked about what was happening and they pretty much blamed it on line diameter. I don't believe that is the case b/c of the 65# Stealth doing the same thing. The Sfx will be my last try for braid on a baitcaster.

babfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by babfish » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:09 am

I use 10lb SuperBraib on my Sol's and don't have a problem with it digging in. I have found the "stiifer" braids seem to dig in more. This would back up why the Stealth ended up in the ditch :shock: and the PPro only in the garbage ;) You will probaly like the Suffix better, BTW what are you throwing with the light braid?

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jholton » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:20 am

Small topwaters, but mostly 4 inch senkos. I hope that Sfx braid works. (Oh yeah, Superbraid is Stren) :D