Team Daiwa Viento

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Team Daiwa Viento

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:38 pm

This is a question is for anybody who has one or has used one, will the twitchin bar handle small jerkbaits like pointer 78's? Can it handle other small hardbaits or is just for plastics?

Thanks, Corey

Bassonly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Team Daiwa Viento

Post by Bassonly » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:16 pm

You might check the review on the Viento that TT did. I don't remember if they said anything about it in there, but you might check.
BTR Custom Lures--boonepowell.com River Slung Custom Lures--riverslung.com

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:13 pm

Yes, the twitchin' bar will twitch a jerkb8 but there are two reservations I have about it:

1) Twitcher's thumb. Being very serious here. Several people have developed problems from trying to twitch too much...not unlike carpal tunnel syndrome.

2) When you twitch, you have to let go of the handle because it will turn with the spool when you hit the twitchin' bar. This is unnatural to me...I am used to palming with my left hand while holding the handle with my right. I found you pretty much have to hold the rig with one hand and twitch with that hand's thumb at the same time.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:39 pm

I found the whole arrangement unnatural just like mhood. What I am suppose to do with my right hand while I am using the twitchin' bar? I never came up with anything that felt comfortable so I ended up selling mine because I just couldn't get used to it.
Besides, the twitchin' bar doesn't do anything that you can't do just as easily with the rod tip.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:40 pm

I never considered that, good points.

Thanks, Corey

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:06 pm

bassbandit wrote:What I am suppose to do with my right hand while I am using the twitchin' bar?
I won't, I won't... :pray: ah the hell I won't! :evil1: Why do you think it's been called a "beer bar"... Sheesh!

Man... You can't leave me an opening like that! I gotta take it! :silly: Gadget

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:38 am

Mhhod is right on. While it can be done, the mashing on that bar does a serious number on your thumb. After the field tests my thumb was actually sore from trying to get big surface baits to move. For these type of baits it is so much easier to move your rod tip to generate that motion.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:07 am

bassbandit wrote:What I am suppose to do with my right hand while I am using the twitchin' bar?
Eat a sammich, take a pee. Probably in that order.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:19 am

I use the twitching bar mostly to catch up slack line. It is I think very convenient to use if you need your hand for something else which happen often on a boat.
With my other bait cast reel I often reach underneath the reel seat with my finger tips and turn the handle pushing on the drag star. It very efficient to retrieve a soft platic "jim bitter" slow!! So the twitch bar allow me to do the same more easily. Good invention, only problem, in case of a backlash, often a loop will catch the bar and that's annoying!!

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:40 am

I don't know. I usually pee first and then eat. Trying to stuff my face with a full bladder is just uncomfortable :D

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:46 am

You people have it all wrong.

The bar thing, stick up stick, whats it on the Viento is for hooking your frog while not in use. =))))

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:55 am

I thought that the hole in the twitching bar was to sight through to check that your guides are aligned. :D

JayInGrapevine
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JayInGrapevine » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:25 pm

I use it for Senkos and wacky rigs. It's great for dead sticking because I have a ritual. I know it's superstition, but it's incredibly effective. I throw out a senko near something fish, let it free fall. Pick up a coke, light up a cigarette, take note of nature, contemplate unified field theory, check to make sure I have my wallet, wonder when my next oil change is scheduled...then engage the reel. If a fish hasn't picked it up, just BARELY twitch the senko with the twitchin bar while the rod tip is down. A lot of times, they'll damn near take the rod out of your hand. I'm not sure if they get tense just watching it sit on the bottom after fluttering down, then freak out and try to kill it when it lurches forward after looking dead, but whatever it is they are very aggressive. It's not exactly efficient for tournament fishing, but tons of funs because of the bites you'll get.
Powell Rods

Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:30 pm

Yep Jay... I use mine for Senko's too. It is a great way for me to really slow down my fishing when needed.

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:23 am

mhood wrote:2) When you twitch, you have to let go of the handle because it will turn with the spool when you hit the twitchin' bar. This is unnatural to me...I am used to palming with my left hand while holding the handle with my right. I found you pretty much have to hold the rig with one hand and twitch with that hand's thumb at the same time.
Put a beer in the other hand Mhood. You'll forget all about it being unnatural. :P