Tackles for popping GT??

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
petesaw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Tackles for popping GT??

Post by petesaw » Mon May 05, 2003 10:12 pm

Hi,

I'm from Malaysia. Currently I'm into popping for GT. The usual tackle used by anglers over here are basically a good quality spinning reel eg, Shimano Stella, Ahab 12, Penn 7500SS ( depending on your budget ) with a graphite spinning rod 8 - 9 ft ( due to the light weight and our smaller physical size ). Line is usually 50lbs braided. As for me, I use a Penn6500SS and Fenwick 8ft graphite rod ( 10 - 30lbs ), Berkley Whiplash 30lbs braided.

My problem is I can't control the GT runs if the fish is more than 15lbs. It usually heads deeper down into the depths and line gets cut when it graze any structure below. I usually fish at a depth of 100 - 400ft depending on the location. I have had lines running out very often ( 100m mono + 300m braided ) and a smoked reel. I think that my reel is not able to present a higher drag resistance and the rod's backbone is not strong enough to dissuade the fish from diving. Perhaps you could be able to recommend tackles to finish off the job. I have not upgraded my line to 50lbs as I couldn't find a graphite spinning rod of the same class over here. Anglers over here just replace the broken 30lbs class rod, if it happens.

Thks.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tackles for popping GT??

Post by bitesize » Tue May 06, 2003 10:53 am

I apologize for my ignorance, but... what's GT?
Giant Tarpon? Giant Trout? :D Giant Treval?

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Post by MigueldaMata » Tue May 06, 2003 11:21 am

Lamiglas makes a great 8'6" spinning rod for fishing for King Salmon called the Kenai Special, or Kenai King Special, I can't remember which. I have one but it is about 300 miles away at the present, so I can't double check it. That rod with a Penn SS8500 and 20 lb mono was enough for me to stop and turn (after a while that is...he almost spooled me) a 65 lb King Salmon running down river in the Klutina (swift river and cold too). The Penn drag with HT100 drag washers should be strong enough (at least on the larger models) to put some pressure on your Giant Trevally (assuming that is the GT you are referring to - never fished them, but a friend of mine who lives in Singapore loves GT fishing).

petesaw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by petesaw » Wed May 07, 2003 11:01 pm

Thks for replying to my question.

To "bitesize" : I'm referring to a Giant Trevally. Over here freshwater fishing is not in abundance hence I do all my fishing on the sea.

To "MigueldaMata" : Thks for your info no the Lamiglas rod. I will try to check it out on the net andat the local tackle shops. As for the drag on the Penn SS reel. I tightened the drag to the max yet I could not stop the GT from funning off with my line. It happened during the first run with no pauses for a breather. Popping for a GT is certainly frightening but fun.

Thks.

petesaw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by petesaw » Wed May 07, 2003 11:03 pm

Hey MigueldaMata,

Thk your friend in Singapore could provide some info on the tackles he uses for tackling the GT?

Pete.

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Post by MigueldaMata » Thu May 08, 2003 6:17 am

Pete,

From what little I know about GT, I don't think the SS6500 has strong enough drag, but upsizing to the 8500 or 9500 should help. I know Shimano makes a Stella, available in Japan (where else I don't know), especially for GT. It is a Stella 16000GT. Be ready to spend some bucks if you get that one. :!:

You will need to go with a big spinning reel of whatever brand to get the larger and stronger drag. I'm not even sure t he Penn 8500/9500 will do, but certainly a 6500 is too small. I would be looking for reels around the 10000 size or larger. I sent my buddy in Singapore an eMail asking his recommendations, so we'll see what he has to say.

Tight lines,

Mike

albackore
Angler
Angler

Post by albackore » Thu May 08, 2003 11:51 am

Try taking a look at the Graphite USA rods matched with an Avet reel. The Avet reels have been able to hold an amazing amount of line and produces an even more amazing amount of drag pressure. I've seen as high as 23 pounds of drag! The GUSA rods are incredible! 100% graphite and thin as can be. I have an 80lb stick that's about as thin as a trout rod!

Nitro
Angler
Angler

Post by Nitro » Thu May 08, 2003 8:02 pm

Hi Albackore

23 lbs on the Avet is pretty impressive. Are they pretty smooth, say compared to the trinidad or Saltiga? I've fished with a lot of reels with great drags but they felt "geary'not very smooth. Are the Avet's a different story?

Thanks...

albackore
Angler
Angler

Post by albackore » Thu May 08, 2003 9:06 pm

Yes, they are very smooth. The company has been around for many years, but just began their reel venture a couple of years ago. Initially, their first reels, the LX and JX had some minor problems, but they stodd behind their product, improved it and now have a very impressive line of lever-drag, saltwater reels. The drags are virtually indestructible.

Maybe the TT team needs to test a few out?

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Post by MigueldaMata » Thu May 08, 2003 11:31 pm

Pete,

My buddy in Singapore says his first spinning reel for GT popping was a Ryobi Metaroyal 5000 Safari, which he says is a good deal for the money, but found he needed more drag and ended up with a Shimano Stella 10000. He says the big Stellas are the best there is for GT popping, just be prepared to spend a little more money. As for rods, a Japanese made rod is the choice in Singapore for GT popping. He uses Smith WRC 80P/35 and 80P/45 and says they are the best value. He uses 80 lb braided line and big poppers like the YoZuri GT Bull Poppers (120 gram) and some locally hand-made 150 to 180 gram poppers in dark colors (black & purple). Since you aren't too far away from Singapore it sounds like that would be your best place to go for GT tackle buying. He says there is a good selection of GT gear and baits at good prices.

Hope this helps you.

Mike

petesaw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by petesaw » Fri May 09, 2003 8:29 am

Thks for providing me the info "MigueldaMata". I appreciate it and will check it out on my next trip there. Currently avoiding Singapore cos of SARS.

Albackore, I will try to check out the rod and reel. Thks.

Pete.

albackore
Angler
Angler

Post by albackore » Fri May 09, 2003 8:38 am

Pete,

I just re-read your initial post and realized that you are looking for a good "spinning" reel, not a baitcasting reel. The Avet reels are not spinning reels. Sorry about that....

Jon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jon » Sat May 17, 2003 8:18 am

Senhor MigueldaMata ,

Is that friend of yours in Singapore is Ky Doucet ? I am the person who introduced him to GT popping and in turn he introduced Uncas Favret to
the same . I believe both of them went Peacock Bass fishing with you in
Amazon .

Jon .

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Post by MigueldaMata » Sat May 17, 2003 8:29 am

Hi Jon,

It is a small world after all. Yes, Ky is my GT source of info. He and Uncas fished with me last January at my lodge. Great guys!!! Uncas is booked to come back next February I believe, but don't know if Ky is going to make it. Don't ask Ky which of them caught the biggest Peacock Bass :) He might lie to you. (What :?: a fisherman lie :!: ) But Uncas caught a real nice 24 lber. Next time you see KY give him my regards.

Ate logo,

Mike

Jon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jon » Sat May 17, 2003 10:19 am

Mike ,

One thing about cyber world , we get to meet peoples who knows mutual
friends 8) . Ky visited me 2 weeks ago in Bali and stayed with me , he told me about Uncas catching the bigger peacock bass than he did , he told me he fell out of the boat too and that he blamed Uncas for being too big :lol:

Well , Uncas won the peacock bass battle while Ky won the GT battle , they will have a rematch and I am scheduling it this coming November :P
May be you want to join us ? :idea:

I am going to Singapore in early June , I have not consulted with Ky yet whether he is going to be in town that week , hope so but certainly I will let him know that we got in touch with each other .

Jon . :D