Floating Jerkbait?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Floating Jerkbait?

Post by MK49 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:03 pm

These floating jerkbaits have worked very well in this month.

- Rapala F11
- Megabass Vision 110 Hi Float, FX9
- OSP Asura F (just lost it in a tree ](*,) )
- Daiwa TD Minnow F (which I bought in Japan 30 years ago)
- BassDay Sugar Minnow F (which I bought in Japan 30 years ago)

Other floating jerkbaits I own are

- Bomber Long A
- Smithwick Rogue
- Heddon Tiger
- Rebel Minnow from 30+ years ago
- Imakatsu Rip Riser

I know Nishine makes one called Erie TW. I'm planning to buy one.

Any other options?

I also have suspending version of those, like Vision 110, Asura, TD Minnow, Long A and Rogue. Unless the water is cold, I prefer floaters. I think because of the lighter weight, the floaters moves better, when jerked. And, simply because, I catch more fish.

It's hard to find floaters these days. Half of them that I mentioned above are no longer available, at least here in the US. It's kinda weird, because when I was a kid, all the jerkbaits were either floater or sinker. There wasn't any suspending jerkbait back then. Now, 98% of them suspend.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Floating Jerkbait?

Post by Canga- » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:16 am

i got a couple Duo Onimasu Masakage both the 110f and 90f to try out this year, they are sold as a trout bait but no reason they wont work for bass and walleye as well!

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:10 am

I take pleasure in using a variety of jerkbaits, which rank as my second-favorite method after crankbaits. On average, jerkbaits account for approximately 25% of my fishing time. I strive to remain impartial towards any JDM lures to avoid forming biases that could influence adversely impact my fishing trips. Instead, I depend on my fishing electronics and the prevailing weather and water conditions to decide which lures to use each time I go fishing.

Early in the season, on the flowages and natural lakes in NW Wisconsin, floating jerkbaits, like the Megabass Vision 110 R-type Hi Float and the OSP Rudra 130F, are crucial for fishing in weedy flats less than 10 feet deep, excelling in catching pike, muskie, and smallmouth bass. However, as the weeds thicken, the opportunity to use these floating jerkbaits often decreases, and rendering them ineffective with the arrival of early summer.

With the onset of summer, the emergence of advanced fishing electronics has revolutionized offshore fishing for schooling fish, offering fresh opportunities to utilize various types of jerkbaits, including floating, suspending, and sinking models. Each type of jerkbait has its own optimal conditions and timing, and I have found success with all of them over the past three fishing seasons, thanks to the advantages provided by modern fishing electronics.
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:29 pm

Grab a couple of those Nishine 95s. Such a great jerkbait, and one of my most productive floaters. The other being the Imakatsu Gekiasa alive roller floating jerkbait. This one runs a little more shallow, but smallies love it with the natural patterns. I rarely fish any other floaters anymore.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:55 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:29 pm
Grab a couple of those Nishine 95s. Such a great jerkbait, and one of my most productive floaters. The other being the Imakatsu Gekiasa alive roller floating jerkbait. This one runs a little more shallow, but smallies love it with the natural patterns. I rarely fish any other floaters anymore.
Very cool. I didn't know about those. Thanks!

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:02 am

Did everybody forget the Bagley's Bang-O and Spintail ???

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:42 pm

Real wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:02 am
Did everybody forget the Bagley's Bang-O and Spintail ???
Yeah, I forgot about the Bang-O. I still have a few from the 80s. Haven't used them for very long time. Maybe, I should try again.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:42 pm

I fished this morning, and the floating jerkbait bites were still happening. I just made a short cast, and I was like "man, this jerkbait, Bassday Sugar Minnow moves really good." And, a bass hit it. Caught about 10 in the next 45min, but they were small (up to 2lbs). So, I switched to Vision 110 Hi Float and caught a few more, a little bigger fish. Caught two more on a popper, and missed a few bites on Shower Blows.. Not too bad for 2 hours of fishing.

The Bassday Sugar is tiny. I think it's 80mm. It darts like Rapala F11 (if not better), but it casts way better, even though it's smaller. I bought it about 30 years ago, when I went to Japan. I have only one, so I wanted to buy more. A Japanese website had a used one, but I didn't like the color. I kept checking the site, and ended up ordering some floating jerkbaits (Vision 110 Hi Float, OSP Varuna Float and Daiwa TD Minnow Float) and some poppers (Deps Pulsecod, Pulsecod Jr, which is new to me, and OSP Louder 70). Oh, I picked up another Shower Blows for $10. Pulsscods are also $10 each. They're used, but much cheaper than buying them in the US. I'm really looking forward to trying the Pulsecod Jr, because I love the original size.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:57 pm

If you can find them - A super shallow, super erratic floater that smallies will absolutely smack when they're on... The River2Sea Humbug minnow. I've never caught so many post spawn fish on a hardbait before. Wild and aggressive, smallmouth can't resist. I actually need to find a couple more come to think of it.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:38 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:57 pm
If you can find them - A super shallow, super erratic floater that smallies will absolutely smack when they're on... The River2Sea Humbug minnow. I've never caught so many post spawn fish on a hardbait before. Wild and aggressive, smallmouth can't resist. I actually need to find a couple more come to think of it.
Thanks. I'll check it out, even though we don't have smallmouth around here. It should work for largemouth and spot.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 pm

BTW, I fished again this morning, because fish were biting yesterday (see above post). It was totally different. Caught one on a jerkbait. Had 5 or 6 more bites on jerkbaits, but didn't catch any of them. I don't think I've ever missed that many bites in like 1 hour. I mean my jerkbaits had at least two treble hooks, if not three. Not topwater bite at all. They weren't going for it for sure. Well, I guess that's fishing. :lol:

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:33 pm

Just picked up a Yozuri 3dr-x(f) floating minnow, should work great on my shallow Florida lakes for swimming over and ripping out of grass. Seems like typical yozuri high bang for the buck at $8

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:30 pm

Yozuri has nice quality, except for the hooks. I like all the 3DB topwater baits, popper, walker and pencil popper. The last Yozuri jerkbait I bought was over 25 years ago. I should buy the floating one, if I can find them.

BTW, I received some jerkbaits and poppers from Japan. It took less than 3 days to get there in California. Not sure how the shipping company, in this case, FedEx can do that. The shop in Japan shipped my order within a few hours, so that helps.

OSP Varuna floater looks just like Rudra, except for the length. I've caught many fish on Rudra, so the Varuna should be great, too.