OSP Bent Minnow?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

OSP Bent Minnow?

Post by MK49 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:00 pm

When they came out, I think in the late 2000s, I bought 5 or 6 of them, 86 and 106 size. I used them for a few times, and caught some fish, but I didn't like them much, because they didn't cast well with baitcasters, especially the 86. Lately, I used the 86, because I bought a light action baitcasting rod. It casts OK, and it's been catching bass in the last few weeks. OSP says it's a topwater lure, but to me, it's not. It's more like a floating jerkbait that dives only 6 to 12". The most effective way lately is kind of walking the dog just below the surface, and let it float. I see most of the bites. Bass seems to come out of nowhere, and just hit the lure.

Bent Minnow may be outdated, but it still works. Does anybody still use them?

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: OSP Bent Minnow?

Post by MK49 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:12 pm

BTW, speaking of OSP, Yamato Jr has been my favorite, but I have fixed feeling about it. When it works, I catch some fish in short time, but it doesn't always work. I don't know why. I mean, when it's good, I get more than few bites in 10 casts. That has happened more than a few times. But, most of the time, I don't even get a bite for 30min or longer.

Rudra is another OSP bait I liked. I hooked the biggest bass (most likely, 13 ~ 14lbs) with Rudra 130. I expected big fish, so I had 2x strong Gamakatsu hooks on it. I had the big fish for probably about 15 ~ 20 seconds, and lost it. I found the 2x strong hooks were straiten out. That really sucked. ](*,) That's the biggest loss in my life, and I still dream about it, every once in a while. ](*,)

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:32 am

Mine has hook rash on it from just using it, but never had a single bite. Probably doing something wrong with it... I really wanted to like it, but no luck. Probably will continue to try it, I wanna catch at least one fish with it :lol:

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:03 pm

zalan wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:32 am
Mine has hook rash on it from just using it, but never had a single bite. Probably doing something wrong with it... I really wanted to like it, but no luck. Probably will continue to try it, I wanna catch at least one fish with it :lol:
Maybe, try moving it faster or slower than you normally do. It catches fish moving fast, slow and anywhere in between. When I see bass chasing shads on the surface, I move it really fast. Lately, I caught more with slower presentation.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:53 pm

Bought this lure in 4 sizes 76,86,106,126 and haven't caught anything on it ( which is not not surprise to me, 80% of my lures the same way). Hard to keep casting this lure, if I can catch them on a PopMax or several other topwaters.
You obviously can catch on it, but I doubt it can ever outperform other topwaters.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:59 pm

Cracker wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:53 pm
Bought this lure in 4 sizes 76,86,106,126 and haven't caught anything on it ( which is not not surprise to me, 80% of my lures the same way). Hard to keep casting this lure, if I can catch them on a PopMax or several other topwaters.
You obviously can catch on it, but I doubt it can ever outperform other topwaters.
As I mentioned in the 1st post, it's not really a topwater lure. My main baits are topwater walkers and poppers. Those are the ONLY two kinds of lures that I used for about 5 years. In those years, I fished with two guys (they're brothers), and they called me a cheater, when I used anything that went under the surface.

I don't use the Bent Minnow, when I can catch fish with walkers and poppers. I start throwing the Bent Minnow, when those topwater bait stop catching bass. To me, the Bent Minnow is as topwater as Rapala floater. Yes, you can fish them on the surface, but they're more effective, when they go under. To my old fishing buddies, using the Bent Minnow is cheating. :lol:

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:35 pm

MK49 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:59 pm
As I mentioned in the 1st post, it's not really a topwater lure. My main baits are topwater walkers and poppers. Those are the ONLY two kinds of lures that I used for about 5 years. In those years, I fished with two guys (they're brothers), and they called me a cheater, when I used anything that went under the surface.
I don't use the Bent Minnow, when I can catch fish with walkers and poppers. I start throwing the Bent Minnow, when those topwater bait stop catching bass. To me, the Bent Minnow is as topwater as Rapala floater. Yes, you can fish them on the surface, but they're more effective, when they go under. To my old fishing buddies, using the Bent Minnow is cheating. :lol:
I will try to use them under the surface, I somehow thought this bait is strictly a topwater lure.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:33 pm

Cracker wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:35 pm
MK49 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:59 pm
I will try to use them under the surface, I somehow thought this bait is strictly a topwater lure.
That's probably because OSP says it's topwater. I think you will catch some fish. The only time I use it as a topwater lure is when I'm pretty sure a fish is there, and I just dead stick it with a little shake every once in a while. That way does get bites, but I'm usually not patient enough to do that.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:38 pm

BTW, Bent Minnow 86 is something special, comparing to other size (note: 86 is the smallest size I've used.) It moves why quicker with little twitches than the 106 and the 130, and I think it attracts more fish. It's heavy enough to cast with a baitcaster, which is great, because I don't using spinning reels.