How Many Lures from One Company?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How Many Lures from One Company?

Post by MK49 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:12 pm

I just notices that I had a lot of Heddon lures. I counted to 80, and gave up. I probably have 100+ Heddon lures. I didn't think I had that many Heddon. I guess I bought plenty of them over the last 40+ years. That said, the only Heddon lures that I still use regularly are Meadow Mouse, Spook, Tiger, and occasionally Lucky 13. Yeah, I admit that Heddon lures look kind of goofy in todays standard, but they still catch fish.

The next one is probably Megabass or Lucky Craft. I probably have 120+ lures from those companies combined. I started buying those in the mid/late 90s. I still use Giant Dog X, Pop X/Max, Sammy, S8 Popper.... They're all from the 90s. Not sure if it's just a nostalgic/good memory thing or not, but I have confidence in them.

What else? I think I have plenty of Rapala, Bomber and Evergreen. The # of fish I've caught-wise, Rapala is probably #1. I've caught thousands of bass with Rapala floater F11 and DT16, including my PB, a 12 pounder. And, I've caught a lot of bass with Fat Rap from the 80s. Any newer Rapala that works well for you?

What's your favorite hardbait company?

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How Many Lures from One Company?

Post by jmb27 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:42 am

Favorite hardbait company?

Megabass for me. I'm afraid to count how many lures I have from them, both in current use as well as new in the package/backups. :shock: :lol:

Second would be either Lucky Craft or Zoom WEC. I like the balsa baits as they can have a slightly different action than today's (more) precision made lures and that seems to make all the difference on some days.

As you probably know, some of those old heddon lures have some collectible value.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:31 am

It's Lucky Craft for me--I think they are the most consistent and have great colors and variety that work. I have a drawer stockpiled of brand-new unopened baits--at least 100 in that drawer and tackle boxes full of them as well.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:39 pm

Mann's Bait Company 'Stretch' from 5 to 30 - excellent casting and trolling lure over here for decades while they were imported.

I've amassed a fair few as a collection, as they're discontinued and not many are left anywhere as NOS.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:36 pm

jmb27 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:42 am
As you probably know, some of those old heddon lures have some collectible value.
Yeah, I do, but I still can find used ones. The lures that I'm afraid of using/losing are those that I can't even buy anymore, like hand made (by one person or very small company) balsa topwater baits and some not-so-popular baits (in other words, nobody bought them, except me, so there isn't any used one available now) from 20 ~ 40 years ago.

That said, I try not to use Heddon Chugger Spook from 40 years ago. So, I tried to look for something similar or better. Fortunately, I found Storm Arashi Cover Pop which is about the same size, and works well.

I bought a Heddon Meadow Mouse in 1980. I had used the same one, until a few years ago. I bought about a dozen of them over the years, so the original one is now retired. I just don't want to lose the original ones that I've used for 40 years. :lol:

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:41 pm

godshippy wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:31 am
It's Lucky Craft for me--I think they are the most consistent and have great colors and variety that work. I have a drawer stockpiled of brand-new unopened baits--at least 100 in that drawer and tackle boxes full of them as well.
What are your favorite Lucky Craft baits?

Mine are

- S8 Popper
- Gunfish
- Sammy

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:01 pm

MK49 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:41 pm
godshippy wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:31 am
What are your favorite Lucky Craft baits?

Mine are

- S8 Popper
- Gunfish
- Sammy
Gunfish 115, Pointer 100, and BDS 3 have been the biggest producers for me. I recently got some of the Kelly Jordan flat sides and some 2.2 BDS as well which I'll be giving a try shortly.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:40 pm

godshippy wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:01 pm
Gunfish 115, Pointer 100, and BDS 3 have been the biggest producers for me. I recently got some of the Kelly Jordan flat sides and some 2.2 BDS as well which I'll be giving a try shortly.
Gunfish is something special to me, too. I've used Pointer 100 and 78, and they worked great. I don't know what BDS 3 is. Lucky Craft was great, when Seiji Kato was there, mostly in the 90s. It's kind of weird, but I don't have any favorite Jackall hardbaits designed by Seiji.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:16 am

MK49 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:40 pm
godshippy wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:01 pm
Gunfish is something special to me, too. I've used Pointer 100 and 78, and they worked great. I don't know what BDS 3 is. Lucky Craft was great, when Seiji Kato was there, mostly in the 90s. It's kind of weird, but I don't have any favorite Jackall hardbaits designed by Seiji.
Lucky Craft Fat BDS 3 is a squarebill that is a CA Delta staple--one of those lures that produce fish--it's a bit larger than a Strike King KVD 1.5 (which is probably my all-time favorite squarebill btw).

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:42 pm

godshippy wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:16 am
Lucky Craft Fat BDS 3 is a squarebill that is a CA Delta staple--one of those lures that produce fish--it's a bit larger than a Strike King KVD 1.5 (which is probably my all-time favorite squarebill btw).
Very cool. I'll check it out. Thanks.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:44 pm

MK49 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:36 pm
jmb27 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:42 am
Yeah, I do, but I still can find used ones. The lures that I'm afraid of using/losing are those that I can't even buy anymore, like hand made (by one person or very small company) balsa topwater baits and some not-so-popular baits (in other words, nobody bought them, except me, so there isn't any used one available now) from 20 ~ 40 years ago.

That said, I try not to use Heddon Chugger Spook from 40 years ago. So, I tried to look for something similar or better. Fortunately, I found Storm Arashi Cover Pop which is about the same size, and works well.

I bought a Heddon Meadow Mouse in 1980. I had used the same one, until a few years ago. I bought about a dozen of them over the years, so the original one is now retired. I just don't want to lose the original ones that I've used for 40 years. :lol:
Speaking of lures that I really don't want to lose, I just lost one this morning. It's a little popper that I bought, when I went to Japan about 30 years ago. It's been great, and I can't find used ones. What sucked was the fish wasn't very big, probably 3 ~ 4lbs, but it went to sticks. Too bad. ](*,)

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:49 pm

I have to say that most of my lure buying actually comes from the discounted or discontinued models in the clearance bins. So with that I usually find Yo-Zuri, Heddon, Bomber, Rapala, Salmo, Rebel, Storm, Spro. Some obscure unknown name brands or limited production. Something like an Abu Garcia Tormentor sinking jerkbait.

I have a few Lucky Crafts. Mostly Gunfish and Pointers A few cranks and poppers. A few Owner lures, Gobo Poppers, Mira Shad, Zip'n Ziggy, lipless cranks and cranks, and jerkbaits. Some Diawa SC Shiners.

If we add inline spinners. Rooster tails, Panther Martins, Blue Fox, Mepps.

Spoons. Eppinger Daredevle, Acme Kastmasters Cleos, Luhr Jenson Cast Champs, Krocodile, Mepps, Bomber Slab Spoon.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:18 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:49 pm
I have to say that most of my lure buying actually comes from the discounted or discontinued models in the clearance bins. So with that I usually find Yo-Zuri, Heddon, Bomber, Rapala, Salmo, Rebel, Storm, Spro. Some obscure unknown name brands or limited production. Something like an Abu Garcia Tormentor sinking jerkbait.
Clearance! =D> I found one of the best lipless crankbaits ever in a clearance bin. Bought 6 of them (3 with rattles and 3 without), $3 each about 25 years ago. The ones without rattles were simply awesome. I have only one left. It's made in Japan by a company called Zenith, I think. I should have bought all the non-rattlers from the clearance. It's 25 years too late. :lol:

From the same clearance bin from the same time, I bought two topwater walking baits. I like them a lot. Many years later, I found Gan Craft is still making the same lure. The ones I bought was by Specialty Tackle or something like that. I still use it, ever once in a while.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:34 pm

Years ago, I have one of the earlier model of Owner Rip'n Minnow 90mm and they discontinued that one and replaced it with a better updated version. The replacement one was much better in so many ways, but the old one still catches fish and a lot. It was some years later that I say the same body style sold in Walmart for their FLW tournament brand. Same body style mold, but I never bought any of those. To me, a lot of times the Walmart brand sold ones are not made to the same specs of the originals.

Even something like the Sebile Vibrato vertical fishing lure, that has somehow become a Berkley Vibrato lure. I bought what I thought was a Sebile Vibrato only to receive a Berkley packaged lure. Sure they looks pretty much the same but somehow when fished, don't perform likewise.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:31 am

MK49 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:44 pm

Speaking of lures that I really don't want to lose, I just lost one this morning. It's a little popper that I bought, when I went to Japan about 30 years ago. It's been great, and I can't find used ones. What sucked was the fish wasn't very big, probably 3 ~ 4lbs, but it went to sticks. Too bad. ](*,)
Ouch. Obviously, should have donned the mask and snorkel to retrieve it. :lol:

Maybe you can find some of those on the auction or used tackle sites. What brand/lure was it?