Mid Diving Flat Sides

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Mid Diving Flat Sides

Post by reason162 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:25 am

Are there any 6-8ft flatsides out there besides the Strike King KVD?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Mid Diving Flat Sides

Post by dragon1 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:17 pm

Rapala Ott's OG Slim is a 6' flat side.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Rapala_ ... -OGS6.html

Back in the day, Rapala used to make bigger flat sides when coffin lips and sure set hooks that dive deeper... however those models are discontinued.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Larry 2020 Niagara
Angler
Angler

Post by Larry 2020 Niagara » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:17 am

In my opinion, the best flat crankbaits
ever produced were the Bandit Flat Maxx
Shallow (4-8 ft.) and the Bandit Flat Maxx
Deep (8-12 ft.). Although they have been
out of production for a number of years,
they appear on the auction site occasionally.

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:55 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:17 pm

Back in the day, Rapala used to make bigger flat sides when coffin lips and sure set hooks that dive deeper... however those models are discontinued.
Yep, still have and use those DT7's and DT3's. Excellent bait. Also the old Poe's RC baits were good baits. Both were just ahead of their time when many didn't understand the benefits of a flat sided crank.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:23 pm

Heitman wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:55 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:17 pm

Yep, still have and use those DT7's and DT3's. Excellent bait. Also the old Poe's RC baits were good baits. Both were just ahead of their time when many didn't understand the benefits of a flat sided crank.
It's unfortunate that the last time (many years ago) I bought a few Poe's flat sides, they were complete junk, from hooks/hardware to action in the water. Such a shame and disgrace to the baits that I caught so many bass on in the 1990s.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:21 pm

Rapala DT Flat is my favorite, but I have only one left. I just bought the new OG Slim, along with other flat sided from Bagley, Bomber, Strike King... I haven't used them yet, but the OG Slim looks very much like the old DT Flat with a different lip. I'm hoping it's as good or better than the old one.

I have two Poe's flat sided from the early 90s. Haven't used them for at least 25 years. I should try them again.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:08 pm

Fished the Rapala Ott's OG Slim earlier this week and caught a couple of nice fish--then it broke into 3 pieces...

It has a really nice tight wobble and runs great--just don't slap the water and be gentle with them.

I'll be picking up some more.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:59 pm

Black Label Fat Flat (7-9ft) is a great prespawn bait I've been told, and probably why the craw patterns are sold out.
https://www.woodbaitcountry.com/bait-br ... /fat-flat/

I've had success with WEC Tapp or the easier to aquire Greenfish Tackle big G-Flat Smiley.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:30 pm

It has been my experience that the OG Slim works well but is unable to endure repeated nuisance pike bites which are at epidemic levels early and late in the season on Chequamegon Bay. The answer I have found to this conundrum is the OSP HPF Crank in both its iterations: the normal HPF Crank with a rattle and the Silent Spec 2.

The advantages of the OSP HPF Crank are:
1. Weight transfer system to help with distance casting during windy conditions which are prevalent on Chequamegon Bay during the spring and fall seasons.

2. Durable body with its honeycomb designed ABS plastic which has endured many nuisance pike bites since 2018.

3. Repeatable action and function: no need to "weed out the outliers" like with OG Slims, they all work exceptionally well out of the box every time.

4. No need to change out hardware as the hooks and split rings are of premium quality out of the box.

The disadvantages of the OSP HPF Crank are:
1. High acquisition cost: no way around it, OSP is a premium JDM brand, and you are going to pay for the quality.

2. Limited Stock: it can be hard to find specific colors since OSP has a specific annual production cycle for its lures and localized shortages are quite common, this is most common in the OSP Mylar Minnow soft plastics, but popular colors are often OOS in many of their product lines.

Good luck out on the water!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS