Fav small cranks for smokin and burning?!

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fav small cranks for smokin and burning?!

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:12 pm

Not much of a crankster these days, but I'm after some small, 2ish inch, 3/8 oz or so baits. Shallow and medium divers.
Burn and stop, open water, soft and moderate cover. Looking for a reaction bite from some wild and crazy smallies.
Can be from here or across the pond. So far I've grabbed some OSP Blitz baits. Just need it to run proper with a high speed retrieve. I know there's a whole heck of a lot out there, but hoping to find some that were designed for this.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Fav small cranks for smokin and burning?!

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:02 pm

The H2O express UL crank is great. It won't blow out, even when cranking fast. Plus, its a squarebill and won't easily hang when running thru a tree top or stumps.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:11 am

Look into the Lucky Craft lineup. They have several baits that would work well. My favorites are BDS1, LC 0.5, 0.7, 1.0, SKT mini.
BDS is a fat little squarebill that goes everywhere and deflects off everything. Dives to 3’ or so and burns nicely. Glad they brought these back!

The LC series is all the same other than size. 0.5 casts well for a tiny crank and catches big fish. The faster you fish them the more they hunt, and every size has worked well. These dive 2-4’

SKT series are excellent little cranks. Not a squarebill, but deflect extremely well and have a tighter action than a traditional squarebill. Dive to 5’ and dive at a steep angle to get down quickly. Love these on rivers. One of my top cranks overall.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:04 am

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:11 am
Look into the Lucky Craft lineup. They have several baits that would work well. My favorites are BDS1, LC 0.5, 0.7, 1.0, SKT mini.
BDS is a fat little squarebill that goes everywhere and deflects off everything. Dives to 3’ or so and burns nicely. Glad they brought these back!

The LC series is all the same other than size. 0.5 casts well for a tiny crank and catches big fish. The faster you fish them the more they hunt, and every size has worked well. These dive 2-4’

SKT series are excellent little cranks. Not a squarebill, but deflect extremely well and have a tighter action than a traditional squarebill. Dive to 5’ and dive at a steep angle to get down quickly. Love these on rivers. One of my top cranks overall.
Thanks for the info! These have been recommended quite a bit actually. Definitely gonna grab some.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:05 am

This won’t get much love on this site but anyway, take a look at the Bomber Square A. The larger of the 2 sizes offered is 2” long and weighs 3/8 oz. It’s a stubby little beast that comes through anything I’ve ever thrown it into like a 4WD truck. It has a single rattle that throws off a muted one knock type sound profile that fills the slot between silent and rattling nicely.

I throw quite a few cranks but this one is a mainstay for me. And yeah, you’ll want to replace the stock hooks.

EDIT - just noticed that the lineup has been expanded and upgraded hooks. A steal at $3.99 each.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bomber_ ... -S5AD.html

D599CFDF-E261-4B3D-A85F-D75ABF0642BC.jpeg
D599CFDF-E261-4B3D-A85F-D75ABF0642BC.jpeg (77.14 KiB) Viewed 5985 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:16 pm

uljersey wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:05 am
This won’t get much love on this site but anyway, take a look at the Bomber Square A. The larger of the 2 sizes offered is 2” long and weighs 3/8 oz. It’s a stubby little beast that comes through anything I’ve ever thrown it into like a 4WD truck. It has a single rattle that throws off a muted one knock type sound profile that fills the slot between silent and rattling nicely.

I throw quite a few cranks but this one is a mainstay for me. And yeah, you’ll want to replace the stock hooks.

EDIT - just noticed that the lineup has been expanded and upgraded hooks. A steal at $3.99 each.

How does it handle and react at high speeds?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:09 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:16 pm
uljersey wrote:

How does it handle and react at high speeds?
I guess it comes down to your idea of burning vs mine … I tend to fish fast IMO and I’ve not had any issues with blowouts. Your results may vary …

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:01 pm

Jeffbro999 wrote:

^^This for sure. Some years back lucky craft released the 1.0 in the ‘MCO’ version in a ton of colors annd all with bone bills. I stocked up like a prepper. Overall, the LC in the 1.0 is my favorite crank for burning. You can’t go too fast and upward sweeps followed by brief pause over grass can induce monster strikes from reluctant fish not unlike a jerk bait. These baits just last and last too. I wear the paint almost clean off and just replace hooks and color them up with markers.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:23 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:01 pm
Jeffbro999 wrote:

^^This for sure. Some years back lucky craft released the 1.0 in the ‘MCO’ version in a ton of colors annd all with bone bills. I stocked up like a prepper. Overall, the LC in the 1.0 is my favorite crank for burning. You can’t go too fast and upward sweeps followed by brief pause over grass can induce monster strikes from reluctant fish not unlike a jerk bait. These baits just last and last too. I wear the paint almost clean off and just replace hooks and color them up with markers.
Awesome

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:34 am

uljersey wrote:

That crank brings back memories
Don’t know what it was or is about it but it caught large fish
I enjoyed them
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:53 am

Another bait I forgot to mention but have been using a lot lately is the Jackall Mushbob. Silent bait with magnetic transfer weight and a coffin style lip that dives 3-4’. Casts like a rocket and very accurate with that transfer weight in a small fat crank. MR version is even better, but let’s not talk about that one :lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:25 pm

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:53 am
Another bait I forgot to mention but have been using a lot lately is the Jackall Mushbob. Silent bait with magnetic transfer weight and a coffin style lip that dives 3-4’. Casts like a rocket and very accurate with that transfer weight in a small fat crank. MR version is even better, but let’s not talk about that one :lol:
When it comes to Jackall, you don't have to ask me twice!