Bone Color, Boring but Effective

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bone Color, Boring but Effective

Post by MK49 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:22 pm

I don't know what it is about the bone color for topwater, mostly walkers, but they do work very well, especially, when the sun is not hitting the water (either early morning/late evening or cloudy days.)

They look really boring, and for the same price, you can buy a nicer looking color of the same bait. Yet, the bone gets bites, a lot of bites.

I understand why black can be good, but the bone? I don't really know. I would think white or silver belly would be as good, but sometimes, the bone works much better. Can anybody explain why it works?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bone Color, Boring but Effective

Post by slipperybob » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:14 pm

Nothing definitive but I can come up with maybe two theories.

1. The fish think it's all belly exposed and it's vulnerable.
2. The full profile outline. Much in the same way an all black or another solid color like chartreuse works so well.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:05 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:14 pm
Nothing definitive but I can come up with maybe two theories.

1. The fish think it's all belly exposed and it's vulnerable.
2. The full profile outline. Much in the same way an all black or another solid color like chartreuse works so well.
Very interesting. Never thought of your reason #1.

Another interesting thing is that each company has different bone colors. Some are very white, some are more yellow-ish , and others are anywhere in between. All those different bone colors work well.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:28 pm

I like the off white, or sometimes they label it as natural white. That somewhat natural malina folder covers color.

Bone color also makes a great base if I want to sharpie draw on some lures. Things like red sharpie the gills, or highlight side pectoral fins with some red and black lines. I rarely do that, but have done so on some lures.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish