When Nothing is Working, What Do You Throw?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

When Nothing is Working, What Do You Throw?

Post by MK49 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:33 pm

I fished this morning. It wasn't a good condition, full moon (fish feeding all night long), very windy..... I normally throw topwater baits for at least 1 or 2hrs in the morning. But, it was really windy, so I gave it up in 10min, and started doing other things like crankbait, lipless crankbait, scrounger, chatterbait, Fat Ika.... I didn't get a bite for 1hr. So, I went back to topwater walking bait, which is what I use, when I don't get a bite, even in winter time or in the middle of hot sunny day. It's just a confidence thing. Again, it was way too windy for topwater, but the walking bait caught two bass in 10min (and nothing for the next few hours, so I went home), which to be honest, I didn't expect.

What do you use, when nothing gets a bite?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: When Nothing is Working, What Do You Throw?

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:41 am

My late father in law threw a Gene Larew Mega Ring Tube (discontinued) and always managed to salvage a day.

My preference will always be a Spro Bronzeye Frog, first, when the wind isn't too bad or a Missle Baits D-Bomb.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:47 pm

Topwater for me as well, Duo Pencil or a Gunfish. Lately I've also been pulling out a silent LC 1.5 in Ghost Baby Bluegill when things aren't going to plan.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:17 pm

2.75" paddletail on a 1/8 jighead(I currently use the rage tail version). I've salvaged countless days with that little bait. Bass, pickerel, big bream,
crappie, white bass, yellow perch and even catfish have all fallen for it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:05 pm

Similar to Tim, 3" paddle tail on 3/16 or 1/8, depending on conditions. If I find a few, I'll use a Flick Shake as well.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:57 pm

Interesting. I've never really used anything less than 4", mostly because, tiny baits with little weights are hard to cast with baitcasters (I don't use spinning tackles). Maybe, I'm missing something.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:21 pm

Here's another walking bait story. I was fishing in Mexico, and I didn't get a bite after 9:30AM. It was hot (probably, over 100 degree, and clear sky). Around 10:30, I was like "fxxk it", I'll throw the chrome Heddon Original Zara Spook." My Mexican guide, who drove the boat for me, fished with me 16 or 17 times, so he's my friend. He knew I was a topwater guy. but he didn't think I was going to catch any fish in the super hot sunny day. I got 6 bites, and caught 4 bass in the next 30min.

After the lunch break, my guide told me this. The fishing was kinda tough for everybody in that morning. My guide told other guides that I caught 4 bass between 10:30 and 11AM. Those guys asked him how I caught them. It's actually good to know that most guides tried to please customers, when the fishing was tough, so they tried to find some solutions. My guide told them the good old Zera Spook. My guide told me that the guys didn't really believe it. To me, when it's hot and sunny, and nothing else works, I just go back to the basic, and start throwing bigger (3/4oz to 1oz) walking baits. It's that simple (from my experience), but for other people/guides, they just didn't think that's going to work. I thought it was funny and interesting.

BTW, these were the baits I used the most in Mexico. See how they were really used a lot.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:16 pm

MK49 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:57 pm
Interesting. I've never really used anything less than 4", mostly because, tiny baits with little weights are hard to cast with baitcasters (I don't use spinning tackles). Maybe, I'm missing something.
I think you should! I saw the thread title and thought “hmm, I don’t think I have a go-to hard bait when things are tough, it’s all plastics”. 2.8 Keitech, Ned rig, small tube, dropshot… Just get a BFS rod and reel ;)

That said, my go-to hard bait when nothing is working is probably a Vision 110 Jr or Flash Pointer 100. Gotta work then slow like it’s winter to get a reaction bite.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:11 am

I have had many dog days where I can't catch anything, tie on a Mepps Black Fury Dressed spinner in red and black usually #5 size, cast it over top of of submerged weeds or along weedlines and BAM fish will smash it.

not always bass but pike too etc.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:20 am

MK49 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:57 pm
Power finesse search baits are great imo.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:13 pm

Apparently I didn't notice the Hardbaits section ](*,) :lol: . I'm assuming you wanted to know hardbaits we use when nothing else is going.

I have always defaulted to Spro Little John in cell mate or rootbeer.

My father in law started using black cranks and could get bit when the bite was tough.
Finnz922 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:41 am
My late father in law threw a Gene Larew Mega Ring Tube (discontinued) and always managed to salvage a day.

My preference will always be a Spro Bronzeye Frog, first, when the wind isn't too bad or a Missle Baits D-Bomb.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:07 pm

When nothing's working, I throw everything back in the van and go home...

:lol: :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:14 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:17 pm
2.75" paddletail on a 1/8 jighead(I currently use the rage tail version). I've salvaged countless days with that little bait. Bass, pickerel, big bream,
crappie, white bass, yellow perch and even catfish have all fallen for it.
Guess I didn't see it was in the hardbaits section, either. :oops: :lol:
For hardbaits, it is a Jackall Bling 55 or a #5 Shad Rap, shallow or deep version, depending on water depth and time of year.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:14 pm

When it's that windy, you need to go big and obnoxious IMO...I would have been power cranking from top to bottom with heavy big bladed spinnerbaits.

For me, the first thing I need to do to get a bite on a tough day is locate the fish...sometimes from shore, you're just S.O.L...then I put on a tiny inline spinner and catch some panfish. Lol.

For hardbaits, on your particular day, I would have chosen a larger Swimbait that causes ruckus. Like you said, the bass had already fed throughout the evening, they need a reason to take a swipe at anything else and it needs to be a large prey item offering a lot of calories.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bassfanatick
Angler
Angler

Post by bassfanatick » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:22 am

Yamamoto 2" Senko wacky rig, when they stop biting everything else this little morsel will get them to commit.