Let's Talk Trebles

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Let's Talk Trebles

Post by reason162 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:28 pm

I've noticed that on baits with "flat" or horizontal hook hangers (OSP, 110 Jrs etc), inline trebles like the Owner ST 35s/Gammy G finesse will not hang with one point perfectly vertical to the body and the other 2 tucked in. You need something like the Mustad triple grips for those baits if you want perfect symmetry.

Then you have the oddball baits like the Super Z and Nanahans with a vertical belly hanger and a flat tail hanger...why do luremakers do this lol.

Are there other short shank trebles you guys recommend for these baits with flat hook hangers?

What about trebles that go down to size 10 and 12, besides the gammy SP M and MHs?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Let's Talk Trebles

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:59 pm

O.S.P. hooks are being sold. Work pretty good BUT they may be Hayabasu(?) brand.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:31 pm

I really don't think that having the hooks in perfect alignment with a hard bait is that important. Many of the manufacturers don't either. That is why many don't have the eye of the hook aligned that way. I understand the sticking with what gives you confidence thing though. My treble replacement box has just about every brand of high end treble hook in it. I focus more on durability if a bait will allow it because the stripers in the mix out West will cause you to replace a lot of treble hooks. I have so many small baits that require a very specific size hook that I have also bought just about every hook out there to make sure that I have the exact right size when the time comes for replacement.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:05 pm

It really depends on where you fish. I live in California. I don't catch many fish over 8lbs locally. But, I also fish in Mexico, where I catch many fish over 8lbs. I use hooks depends on where I fish. When I fish locally, I don't care much about the hooks, as long as they are sharp. But, my hooks for Mexico are 2x or 3x strong, Owner or Gamakatsu. I've lost so many big bass, because the hooks were bent. Even the split rings got broken by a few big bass in Mexico.

So, to me, fishing for less than 8lbs fish, shaper hooks are better, but when I go for bigger fish, I need stronger hooks.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:16 pm

toddmc wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:31 pm
I really don't think that having the hooks in perfect alignment with a hard bait is that important. Many of the manufacturers don't either. That is why many don't have the eye of the hook aligned that way. I understand the sticking with what gives you confidence thing though. My treble replacement box has just about every brand of high end treble hook in it. I focus more on durability if a bait will allow it because the stripers in the mix out West will cause you to replace a lot of treble hooks. I have so many small baits that require a very specific size hook that I have also bought just about every hook out there to make sure that I have the exact right size when the time comes for replacement.
Yeah my rational mind knows it makes zero difference, but my OCD brain says something is terribly wrong when the hook is riding canted off to one side lol.

I had no idea mustad triple grips were not in line hooks, so I'm using those right now on the flat hangers. I wish gammy and owner come out with non-inline trebles in the future.

Another thing I discovered is JDM gammy sizing are one size larger on the G finesse hooks vs US sizes. Those are the best JB hooks I've used so far.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:36 am

I also really like those Excalibur rotating trebles back in the days.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:50 pm

i've been using Owner STX Zo WiRe 38's and 45's but i buy on hit and runs cause they are expensive but highly effective
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:07 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:50 pm
i've been using Owner STX Zo WiRe 38's and 45's but i buy on hit and runs cause they are expensive but highly effective
X2 they are my favorites

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:18 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:50 pm
Are the STX-38s a short shank hook? I didn't realize they came in size 8s...might have to give this a try on my smaller CB/JBs

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:46 am

slipperybob wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:36 am
I also really like those Excalibur rotating trebles back in the days.
Oh yeah, they were one of the good ones. Thankfully I have a decent stash that should last me a good bit.

Most any treble hook can be manipulated into that shape with a pair of smooth jaw flat nose duckbill pliers. Serrated jaw pliers will mar the finish. Practice on junk hooks, it’s actually easy.