Megabass Z crank blue/red label

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Megabass Z crank blue/red label

Post by FamKench » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:00 pm

Anybody have opinions on these? I have been trying to find more info on these (such as: do they hunt, are they better in summer/winter, are they durable as far as balsa baits go, etc.) but there's not much out there. They caught my eye because they're "hand made", balsa, and I also have tremendous confidence with the current offerings of Megabass squarebills (or maybe just bait monkey). I'm thinking this is something different, has that subtle balsa action from a Megabass design that the bass haven't seen a lot of, and will get me that extra large momma.

I ended up buying 2 used ones (one red label, one blue label) to use and 2 new ones (red/blue) from ichiban tackle to save/collect.
zcrankjr_blue_ayu.jpg
zcrankjr_blue_ayu.jpg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 1220 times

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Megabass Z crank blue/red label

Post by FamKench » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:13 am

I got a chance to use each one. Didn't catch anything but made some observations.

These can be burned with no blow out.

The swimming action(wobble/side to side) is not as pronounced as the s-crank 1.2/1.5's that I fish but maybe this is a good thing for when the fish are being finicky or want to eat something that looks and swims differently.

They don't really "hunt" from what I saw of my limited time using them on the water.

The blue label(balsa) floats back to the surface a lot faster than the red label and faster than my s-cranks. It will be excellent for fishing wood.

The red label(hard wood) is slow to surface(slower than my s-cranks). It may be a good cold water squarebill for enticing strikes on the "pause".

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:21 am

Not really a fan of them. They just don’t seem to be fish catchers so I sold all mine. If you want JDM balsa, I’d recommend Woodream No-names

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:30 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:21 am
Not really a fan of them. They just don’t seem to be fish catchers so I sold all mine. If you want JDM balsa, I’d recommend Woodream No-names
Noooo, no more bait monkey. Lol. Thanks I'll look into those.