Split Ring Size Chart

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Split Ring Size Chart

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:59 am

Anyone have input on split ring sizes? I have been going through and changing/tuning a lot of my hard baits but have not kept up with it like I should... I know for tiny little BFS style cranks I use #00 or #0 Decoy rings. Would like to know what size is used for general cranks as with cranks up to 8XD and 10XD size. Would be awesome if a manufacturer put a suggested hook/ring size on the package. I also make my own wobble heads for swimbaits sometimes and it is hard to find the right size ring to fit a swinging football head and a larger 7/0+ hook.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Split Ring Size Chart

Post by City17Banner » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:17 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:59 am
Anyone have input on split ring sizes? I have been going through and changing/tuning a lot of my hard baits but have not kept up with it like I should... I know for tiny little BFS style cranks I use #00 or #0 Decoy rings. Would like to know what size is used for general cranks as with cranks up to 8XD and 10XD size. Would be awesome if a manufacturer put a suggested hook/ring size on the package. I also make my own wobble heads for swimbaits sometimes and it is hard to find the right size ring to fit a swinging football head and a larger 7/0+ hook.
I use Owner Hyper Wire Split Rings for the majority of my fishing needs and for replacing normal sized crankbaits #2 and #3 size split rings are usually the sizes that are equivalent to the majority of what crankbait manufacturers use as OEM equipment. For my larger crankbaits such as the Megabass Big M 7.5 or Duel Hardcore Bullet Crank 7+, I use the larger #4 size Hyper Wire split rings due to the larger size of the lures and treble hooks.

The Owner Hyper Wire Split Ring chart below provides information about test # so I use that as a good reference for which Hyper Wire split ring to use. As an aside, I don't think they have muskie in your waters, but when we fish for muskie, some old school muskie fishermen actually solder their split rings so that they don't open up on them. I haven't felt the need to perform this split ring modification since I began using the Owner Hyper Wire split rings quite a few years ago and I've yet to experience a single split ring failure during any fishing endeavor.

Lastly, I weigh all of my replacement treble hooks and split rings for my Megabass Vision 110 and other Megabass jerkbaits so I manipulate the sink/float rate of these lures in cold water conditions to elicit more strikes from lethargic smallmouth bass by changing out treble hooks and split rings.

Please have a great day!

2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:55 am

City17Banner wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:17 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
I use Owner Hyper Wire Split Rings for the majority of my fishing needs and for replacing normal sized crankbaits #2 and #3 size split rings are usually the sizes that are equivalent to the majority of what crankbait manufacturers use as OEM equipment. For my larger crankbaits such as the Megabass Big M 7.5 or Duel Hardcore Bullet Crank 7+, I use the larger #4 size Hyper Wire split rings due to the larger size of the lures and treble hooks.

The Owner Hyper Wire Split Ring chart below provides information about test # so I use that as a good reference for which Hyper Wire split ring to use. As an aside, I don't think they have muskie in your waters, but when we fish for muskie, some old school muskie fishermen actually solder their split rings so that they don't open up on them. I haven't felt the need to perform this split ring modification since I began using the Owner Hyper Wire split rings quite a few years ago and I've yet to experience a single split ring failure during any fishing endeavor.

Lastly, I weigh all of my replacement treble hooks and split rings for my Megabass Vision 110 and other Megabass jerkbaits so I manipulate the sink/float rate of these lures in cold water conditions to elicit more strikes from lethargic smallmouth bass by changing out treble hooks and split rings.

Please have a great day!

Nice! Good answers and info, yeah in Arkansas we do not have Muskie. I also made the mistake of not weighing/balancing jerkbait hook upgrades early on. I broke a tip off of a treble of a Rick Clunn jerkbait, one of the first I ever owned or tried, and could not get the bait to ever suspend correct again. Eventually I got the regular wire Owner replacements and they did fine.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:21 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:55 am
City17Banner wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:17 am
DirtyD64 wrote:

Please have a great day!

Nice! Good answers and info, yeah in Arkansas we do not have Muskie. I also made the mistake of not weighing/balancing jerkbait hook upgrades early on. I broke a tip off of a treble of a Rick Clunn jerkbait, one of the first I ever owned or tried, and could not get the bait to ever suspend correct again. Eventually I got the regular wire Owner replacements and they did fine.
Yes, Owner makes great replacement treble hooks. For my Megabass jerkbaits, I prefer the Gamakatsu AMart TGW Nano G-Finesse treble hooks since the wire gauge is lighter, I can usually upsize hooks while still maintaining good lure balance.

Although in really cold water below 45-degrees Fahrenheit, I find the smallmouth bass I fish in NW Wisconsin tend to prefer the jerkbaits to have an ultra-slow sink at rest and I've found that beyond just replacement treble hooks and split rings, the best permanent way to achieve this specific action is to use the Nishine Lure Works Outer weight system since it's both customizable and doesn't rely on an adhesive like with Storm Suspend strips and dots. I'm uncertain it ever gets cold enough in Arkansas for the water temperature to get this cold but, I have found the ultra-slow sink jerkbait approach to work well when the fish are off due to weather conditions as well so YMMV sir.

Please have a great day!

Nishine Lure Works Outer Weight Link: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Nishine ... e-NOW.html
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS