Not all Prop baits are proper

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Not all Prop baits are proper

Post by goldrod » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:28 pm

I’ve been wanting to make this post for some time now concerning prop baits. Here in fl some of the old timers will let you know really fast that a prop bait is how you get bit. So I’ve been on a steady journey of trying to find what works best for me.
Before I get into it let me switch gears and vent. I needed to mail off some packages today so I wrote out the labels to save time. Made it to the post office and there was no line and I was so excited and as I got the nod to come up to the counter only to see that the rain had washed off the addresses :cry: :cry: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) At this point I became a traffic officer and telling everyone to go ahead of me.

Back to the top water prop baits
I love the lucky craft ones because the props are long and I feel that makes a lot of difference. I’ve noticed also that the lower the bait sits in the water the better. Some wooden baits are so buoyant that the props never really get any bite when pulled and sometimes it’s because the props are too short. I’ve tried to offset that with heavier hooks or o-rings. I’m in search of the perfect prop bait and that maybe a hard task. I’m interested in the opinions and experiences of others
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Not all Prop baits are proper

Post by slipperybob » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:00 pm

All I know is that I like pulling the Yo-Zuri ones when it's raining and those seems to work for me.

I had always used a Smithwick and a Zara Spook prop, but more time just on lure and not so much any biters to keep me interested in them, except for pike fishing I reckon. The Rapala ones, so junky and wasted of my time, I almost wished the biggest fish like a pike or musky would just chomp it away for good. Alas hasn't happened. ](*,)
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:22 am

slipperybob wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:00 pm
All I know is that I like pulling the Yo-Zuri ones when it's raining and those seems to work for me.

I had always used a Smithwick and a Zara Spook prop, but more time just on lure and not so much any biters to keep me interested in them, except for pike fishing I reckon. The Rapala ones, so junky and wasted of my time, I almost wished the biggest fish like a pike or musky would just chomp it away for good. Alas hasn't happened. ](*,)
Wish I had posted earlier as I’ve just ordered the Rapala x-rap ones and the Greenfish Tackle TAT but others i have tried are the dhorse of course , ima heliP's ( i like this one ) , youzuri 3DB , rap skitter prop, kelly j prop, and the older lucky craft twin prop bait.

Which Rapala ones are you referring to?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:35 am

One thing I forgot to mention is the lures ability to be casted a good distance , not all lures have that
esp light weigh dhorse ones. This makes me think about what my setup should be .. im still figuring out what works for me

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:15 am

I'd say it's premature to regret ordering the Rapala X-Rap Prop bait. I used one in the yellow perch color to catch 3 bass in about half an hour on a highly pressured city lake that rarely rewards topwater fishing. Conditions were early evening with just enough breeze to barely ripple the water.

In more pronounced wavelets, I prefer the 1/2 oz. Ozark Mountain Woodchopper, which can kick up more of a fuss. I have also caught a few bass on it in flat calm by gently teasing it just enough to make the big blades reflect the sunrise. It's a chunky lure that casts far and attracts bigger bass on average than thinner prop baits I've used. They were last distributed by Luhr Jensen, but I think you would need to find them on "that auction site" now.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:04 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:15 am
I'd say it's premature to regret ordering the Rapala X-Rap Prop bait. I used one in the yellow perch color to catch 3 bass in about half an hour on a highly pressured city lake that rarely rewards topwater fishing. Conditions were early evening with just enough breeze to barely ripple the water.

In more pronounced wavelets, I prefer the 1/2 oz. Ozark Mountain Woodchopper, which can kick up more of a fuss. I have also caught a few bass on it in flat calm by gently teasing it just enough to make the big blades reflect the sunrise. It's a chunky lure that casts far and attracts bigger bass on average than thinner prop baits I've used. They were last distributed by Luhr Jensen, but I think you would need to find them on "that auction site" now.
Thanks cause I ordered in pairs lol.
Mind if I inquired what your setup was ?

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:49 pm

Goldrod, I use many combos for topwaters, usually baitcasters with clear mono. I probably was using 10 lb. test for the X-Rap Prop (shallow flat with sparse cover in spring before weeds came up) and typically 12 lb. for the Woodchopper.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:29 pm

Prop Baits are the quintessential American topwater lure. The Japanese seem to prefer sub-surface prop baits resulting in the creation of the spybait, the Europeans don't have either species of largemouth or smallmouth bass, so they prefer poppers for big perch instead.

I fish a great deal of top water lures because I come from the muskie world and the way we fished in NW Wisconsin for these apex predators when I was growing up was for the angler in the front of the boat to "call them up" with a big top water lure like a Poe's Awaker and then for the angler at the back of the boat to "catch them" with a sub-surface lure like a bucktail or jerkbait.

Without further ado, here are my favorite prop baits for bass in no particular order but rather by type for your delectation.

Most Innovative Prop Bait: Nishine Abino 110F, this is simply the most innovative prop bait I've ever encountered because you can do so many things with the lure components which are all top shelf items. The blades can be switched out and reversed easily, the extra belly blade gives the lure a super tight and unique wobble, and the belly weight can be added to ensure the front blade actually makes contact with the water so it can spin like a propeller should.

Most Anticipated Prop Bait: Deps Evoke Zero 120, I can't wait to try my new Bone colored Evoke Zero prop baits once we get "soft" water in the Northwoods, that unique propeller blade looks so interesting.

Most Dangerous Prop Bait: Luxxe Avenge Prop 80, I have no idea who makes the treble hooks on these lures, but I managed to hook myself two times last season severely enough to need stitches at the ER. Actually, we do know who makes the hooks, but I can't find them for sale from Gamakatsu except on these prop baits.

Most Missed Prop Bait: Deps Buzzjet, I get lots of bites on this prop bait, but I have a hard time actually getting hookups and yet I keep throwing it because it's such a fun lure to throw and present. It also casts a true country mile due to the sophisticated weight transfer system and heavy overall weight and shape.

Most Hooked Up Prop Bait: River2Sea Whopper Plopper Silent 75, simply a great prop bait which can replace a buzzbait, a popper, a top water frog, and just about any other top water lure in the right water and wind conditions. Simply gets bit by both smallmouth and largemouth bass with a fantastic hookup ratio!

Most Unique Looking Prop Bait: Megabass Scream X, it's in a class of its own as I've never seen any other prop bait with this body shape and a single front mounted propeller before. It's at its best when it's being subtly worked which is antithetical for any other prop bait I've ever used.

Most Bitten Off Prop Bait: River2Sea Whopper Plopper Silent 60, this is a great bait for fishing smallmouth bass on small rivers, unfortunately, it also attracts the unwanted attention of "hammer handle" pike and in one fall morning of fishing I managed to lose my entire stockpile (4 lures) of them.

Preferred Normal Size Prop Bait Tackle: For prop baits up to 3/4oz
Rod: Megabass US Destroyer Otomat
Reel: Shimano Antares DC
Mainline: Power Pro Maxcuatro 20#
Leader: Sunline Shooter Defier Armilo Mono 19#

Preferred Uber Prop Bait Tackle: For prop baits beyond 3/4oz
Rod: Megabass P5 Super Destroyer
Mainline: Power Pro Maxcuatro 30#
Leader: Sunline Shooter Defier Armilo Mono 25#
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:51 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:22 am
slipperybob wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:00 pm

Wish I had posted earlier as I’ve just ordered the Rapala x-rap ones and the Greenfish Tackle TAT but others i have tried are the dhorse of course , ima heliP's ( i like this one ) , youzuri 3DB , rap skitter prop, kelly j prop, and the older lucky craft twin prop bait.

Which Rapala ones are you referring to?
The older Skitter Prop one.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:45 am

I'm still an early stage topwater fisherman, only one combo dedicated to the technique. I have my topwater bag organized into: poppers, walkers, wake baits, and prop baits. For prop baits I love the Ima Helips Grande in Bone, but I only have one (and now cannot find them on TW). I need some whopper plopper 60s haven't tried the new smallest size yet. Need to also find some other candidates to fill my 3600 "prop" box.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:22 pm

The only tackle I really collect are small to mid size top water baits. I call them smallmouth candy. Hard to lose, so I feel comfortable owning a boat load. Just purchased a Steez Prop 85F earlier today. Lots and lots of really cool top water baits on the JDM market - very unique.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:42 am

City17Banner wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:29 pm
Prop Baits are the quintessential American topwater lure.

Great post.

I have a few of the "old skool" prop baits like the Devil's Horse and I've caught a bazillion fish on the Whopper Plopper 90. Recent orders to try out some new ones include the ones you listed: Nishine 110F, Deps Evoke Zero, MB Prop Darter, etc.

Question I have is the braid to leader setup--is that due to wrapping issues w/the braid and the lure? I have primarily used straight braid w/the WP 90 or a Buzzjet and haven't had those issues. Is it more so a problem w/prop baits that you might "twitch" more? I tend to just use a slow straight retrieve w/the WP90, with occasional twitches or just using a stop and go deal.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:57 am

jmb27 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:42 am
City17Banner wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:29 pm
Prop Baits are the quintessential American topwater lure.

Great post.

I have a few of the "old skool" prop baits like the Devil's Horse and I've caught a bazillion fish on the Whopper Plopper 90. Recent orders to try out some new ones include the ones you listed: Nishine 110F, Deps Evoke Zero, MB Prop Darter, etc.

Question I have is the braid to leader setup--is that due to wrapping issues w/the braid and the lure? I have primarily used straight braid w/the WP 90 or a Buzzjet and haven't had those issues. Is it more so a problem w/prop baits that you might "twitch" more? I tend to just use a slow straight retrieve w/the WP90, with occasional twitches or just using a stop and go deal.
Thank you for the kind words, sir!

Yes, the leader is to help with the braid wrapping around the front treble hook. I tend to twitch all of my topwater lures in general except for walking baits like my Evergreen SB, Teckel Kickknocker, and Megabass Diamante lures which typically get a steady "walking the dog" retrieve mixed with lots of stop and go movements too.

I wish I could use a FC leader instead, so I don't end up donating so many topwater lures to the pike and smaller muskie, but that sometimes causes the braid to wrap around the front treble due to the FC leader sinking while paused so I'll just keep using the Armilo mono leader and take my losses when the pike and smaller muskie are active on the topwater bite. :crying:
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS