Single replacement hooks help

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
ks_ness
Angler
Angler

Single replacement hooks help

Post by ks_ness » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:43 pm

Hi there

I'm starting to switch out the treble hooks on my jerkbaits to Owner single replacement hooks. However, I noticed some of my baits have different directional rings at the end and the usual single replacement hooks won't do because the hook would then be facing out the sides.

Are there any manufactures that make traditional eye-styled single hooks that are meant to replace treble hooks?

The only hooks I can find with the traditional eye-styled hooks with a "bigger" eye is on Aliexpress, but the eye is still not big/wide enough to allow the hook to move freely on the split ring.

Attached is an example of a lure that has the horizontal/flat ring on its end. I do not want to go double split ring :-#
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 2228 times

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Single replacement hooks help

Post by reason162 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:40 pm

ks_ness wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:43 pm
Are there any manufactures that make traditional eye-styled single hooks that are meant to replace treble hooks?
Yeah what you want are the spoon singles - Owner S-61 and Vanfook SP-41MB are two I've used to good effect.

Problem with these spoon singles...they have a longer shank than the regular plugging singles, and on small, slim jerkbaits if attached to the flat belly hook hangers have a tendency to loop across the back and foul itself on the lure. Tail flat hangers they works great.

The Owner is slightly thicker gauge than the Vanfooks.

PS. Decoy makes a "light class split ring" down to size 00, and are higher quality than Owner hyperwires. A size 2 and size 1 are what you want for 60-80mm jerkbaits.

ks_ness
Angler
Angler

Post by ks_ness » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:20 pm

reason162 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:40 pm
ks_ness wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:43 pm
Yeah what you want are the spoon singles - Owner S-61 and Vanfook SP-41MB are two I've used to good effect.

Problem with these spoon singles...they have a longer shank than the regular plugging singles, and on small, slim jerkbaits if attached to the flat belly hook hangers have a tendency to loop across the back and foul itself on the lure. Tail flat hangers they works great.

The Owner is slightly thicker gauge than the Vanfooks.

PS. Decoy makes a "light class split ring" down to size 00, and are higher quality than Owner hyperwires. A size 2 and size 1 are what you want for 60-80mm jerkbaits.

Thank you so much!

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:08 am

If you go to finesse fishing he has the C’ultiva SBL-35 and some gamakatsu single hooks. Both have the eye orientation you are looking for.

ks_ness
Angler
Angler

Post by ks_ness » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:49 pm

Finesse Angler wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:08 am
If you go to finesse fishing he has the C’ultiva SBL-35 and some gamakatsu single hooks. Both have the eye orientation you are looking for.
Thanks for the seller! Appreciate the help.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:38 am

Just adding this as a visual aid to assist in hook sizing choices …

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=83407