Cold versus warm water jerkbaits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Cold versus warm water jerkbaits

Post by Junk Fisherman » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:23 am

From the relatively brief amount of time I have spent on this forum, I can tell that there are a lot of jerkbait enthusiasts here. After way too many years, I finally started having good success and gaining confidence in jerkbaits this past fall. Big fish in cold water has a way of doing that. So my question is what are your better jerkbaits for colder water versus what do you prefer to throw in the summer? I am more of a smallmouth guy if that changes anything. Any advice is appreciated.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cold versus warm water jerkbaits

Post by Cal » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:02 am

Cold Water = Vision OneTen
Warm Water = Vision OneTen

But that's just me :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:11 am

Pretty simple for me. Cold water, I want something that suspends, or is easily able to be made to suspend, float, or sink with hook or split ring changes. Summer, I look for jerkbaits that float. Suspension doesn’t matter when it’s warm, and the floating action has triggered bites before as it starts to float up above the fish. Shadow Rap Shad is a great start, and Lucky Craft Flash Minnows are some of the best. I don’t fish for smallmouth though :lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:46 am

More erratic movement - behavior in warmer water. Opposite in cold months. Looking at the profile of the bait should give you a general idea. Time on the water with them is best.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:58 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:46 am
More erratic movement - behavior in warmer water. Opposite in cold months. Looking at the profile of the bait should give you a general idea. Time on the water with them is best.
I would agree and disagree. 110’s, Rerange, Pointers and Xraps have very erratic action to them and work really well in cold water. More to do with the way you retrieve them and how erratic you make them dance at that point. Just slow the retrieve down and don’t rip it as hard. At the same time, baits like a Rouge with a simple forward dart with body roll also work very well in cold water. Never cut and dry, and like you said, time on the water makes all the difference.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:32 am

110 and 110jr (+1 or +2) in water under 55 Fahrenheit. Definitely in winter water. Make sure you get suspension lead strips and make them suspend perfectly before each trip (just a couple of degrees water temp difference will change the float).

Flash Pointer and Rerange in warm water. Vision 110s as well, but in warm water the other options work as well in my experience and you don’t lose quite as much money on a snag.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:48 pm

This thread covers jerkbaits from A to Z.

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... lp-advice/

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:29 pm

Squad minnowwwwwwwwwwwwwww 😂
For sure
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:54 am

The Vision 110 is a great bait in water above 50 degrees. I will flat out smoke smallmouth in 40 degree water with either a Lucky Craft Pointer 78 or 100 and a Smithwick Elite 8 Rattlin' Rogue.
Barlow's Tackle

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:44 am

110 is typically the first I tie on and is my confidence jerkbait for sure. This fall I actually did better on a junior since the bait was smaller.

Personally I’ve never had much luck with jerkbaits in the summer, it’s typically just a spring and fall bite for me. The one bait I have caught some fish on in the summer is a Deps floating balisong minnow. I would fish it in and around submerged weedbeds. I have other techniques in the summer that are way more successful, like fishing a frog or wakebait in the same scenario.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:21 am

I throw suspending jerkbaits all year. Most of the time, the 110 and 110 Jr +1 are my top catchers. At times though, I will do better with a Jackall Rerange 110 or 130 and Xraps. The Jackall DD Squirrel 79 catches bigger bass for me for some reason. I normally have at least 2 jerkbaits tied on and in the spring and fall, I will have 4 or 5 different ones tied on. It's definitely one of my most productive baits but I do fish them a lot.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:27 pm

njbasscat wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:21 am
I throw suspending jerkbaits all year. Most of the time, the 110 and 110 Jr +1 are my top catchers. At times though, I will do better with a Jackall Rerange 110 or 130 and Xraps. The Jackall DD Squirrel 79 catches bigger bass for me for some reason. I normally have at least 2 jerkbaits tied on and in the spring and fall, I will have 4 or 5 different ones tied on. It's definitely one of my most productive baits but I do fish them a lot.
Good old X Rap. Not the most fancy, but they usually get the job done.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:39 am

summer and fall- vision 110, vision 110 plus, pointer 100 SP, and x-rap Xr10 have all been incredible. DD pointers are also really good for hitting those fish that are deeper.
Philippians 4:6

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:19 am

I picked up some Berkley Stunna in both the 112 and the 112+1 and have fished them this winter. They are designed to slow sink, but it is a really slow sink in sub 50 degree water. They have caught fish for me, better than my 110's.