Megabass IXI Shad

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Post Reply
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:21 pm

Megabass IXI Shad

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:43 am

I just picked up one of the type 3. Anyone fish them yet? Will try to report back when I'm able to get out in a couple weeks. The hooks are very small. Seems comparable to a shad rap to me.

torm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:53 am

Re: Megabass IXI Shad

Post by torm » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:41 pm

Just picked up the type r and it does remind me of the shad rap as well. Rivers and lakes are still frozen by me sadly so I won't be able to test it out anytime soon but judging from videos online, the action does seem quite nice. One thing though that is kinda bothering me at the moment is the weight system. I like it but it seems to have a harder time moving to the back of the lure than the front. I have to give it a hard shake in order to move it back.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:21 pm

Re: Megabass IXI Shad

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:38 pm

torm wrote:One thing though that is kinda bothering me at the moment is the weight system. I like it but it seems to have a harder time moving to the back of the lure than the front. I have to give it a hard shake in order to move it back.
A cast should generate a lot more momentum / inertia than you can with your hand. If it moves in your hand, there shouldn't be an issue with it moving when casting it. No issues with the weight system on mine. What color did you end up with? I grabbed Ito Ayu, was debating between that and the Imae classic.

torm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:53 am

Re: Megabass IXI Shad

Post by torm » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:12 pm

I got the sexy oyabu shad color. Was debating between that one or an orange crayfish color but I have a lot of crayfish color cranks so I decided to go with a shad color.

torm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:53 am

Re: Megabass IXI Shad

Post by torm » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Been a while but here is an update on this lure. Been throwing it out a lot and it does catch fish. The bad part is that no monsters are going after this bait, nothing really over 1.5lbs. One thing I have notice is that bluegills love this bait. I've had many with all the trebles in their mouths and they are always nice size gills. I would not throw this lure in lakes or places infested with pikes though because one good bite and you can say goodbye due to the size of this bait unless your using a metal leader. Its a good bait if you are going for numbers. If you are going for quality bass, I don't think this is the bait for them based on my experiences. Haven't tried the deep diver version though.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4886
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Megabass IXI Shad

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:40 am

torm wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:58 pm
Been a while but here is an update on this lure. Been throwing it out a lot and it does catch fish. The bad part is that no monsters are going after this bait, nothing really over 1.5lbs. One thing I have notice is that bluegills love this bait. I've had many with all the trebles in their mouths and they are always nice size gills. I would not throw this lure in lakes or places infested with pikes though because one good bite and you can say goodbye due to the size of this bait unless your using a metal leader. Its a good bait if you are going for numbers. If you are going for quality bass, I don't think this is the bait for them based on my experiences. Haven't tried the deep diver version though.
[/quote 8-) ]
That bait might work great late summer into fall for bigger fish, as the shad and baitfish that hatched during the spring are all small and even big fish are used to chasing bait close to that size. I've had times where a Tiny Trap or a 2" curlytail grub on a leadhead are the only baits that any bass will touch, and I've caught numerous 4-5# fish on small baits like that.
Of course, bigger fish are harder to come by way up North! :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

torm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:53 am

Re: Megabass IXI Shad

Post by torm » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:40 am
torm wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:58 pm
Been a while but here is an update on this lure. Been throwing it out a lot and it does catch fish. The bad part is that no monsters are going after this bait, nothing really over 1.5lbs. One thing I have notice is that bluegills love this bait. I've had many with all the trebles in their mouths and they are always nice size gills. I would not throw this lure in lakes or places infested with pikes though because one good bite and you can say goodbye due to the size of this bait unless your using a metal leader. Its a good bait if you are going for numbers. If you are going for quality bass, I don't think this is the bait for them based on my experiences. Haven't tried the deep diver version though.
[/quote 8-) ]
That bait might work great late summer into fall for bigger fish, as the shad and baitfish that hatched during the spring are all small and even big fish are used to chasing bait close to that size. I've had times where a Tiny Trap or a 2" curlytail grub on a leadhead are the only baits that any bass will touch, and I've caught numerous 4-5# fish on small baits like that.
Of course, bigger fish are harder to come by way up North! :lol:
Man tell me about it, up North is pretty hard to find big fish unless you are willing to drive. Fall is basically here so I can't wait to use it assuming I don't lose it to the white bass run :laugh1: . It is a great finesse crank though. Had days where the bass were picky and I outfished everyone with this bait.

Post Reply