Duo Rozante 77 vs Pointer 78, Minnow 80SP vs Flash minnow

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Duo Rozante 77 vs Pointer 78, Minnow 80SP vs Flash minnow

Post by reason162 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:14 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:I usually throw jigs for flounder, but have caught a lot of them on a jerkbait while fishing through some shallow flats for trout and reds. Watching one track your jerkbait before biting is pretty cool, they can be pretty aggressive. With the way they chase them down on the flats, I would think a deep diver would work well.
Yeah our "fluke" or summer flounder are even more aggressive up here, problem is very few flats to work with. I have a couple of breaks in mind, esp during the mullet run...would be a blast to ditch the gulp/keitech/soft plastics and just hunt doormats on hardbaits!

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:19 pm

I like the Megabass x80 trick darters for my smaller jerkbaits

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:15 am

reason162 wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:I usually throw jigs for flounder, but have caught a lot of them on a jerkbait while fishing through some shallow flats for trout and reds. Watching one track your jerkbait before biting is pretty cool, they can be pretty aggressive. With the way they chase them down on the flats, I would think a deep diver would work well.
Yeah our "fluke" or summer flounder are even more aggressive up here, problem is very few flats to work with. I have a couple of breaks in mind, esp during the mullet run...would be a blast to ditch the gulp/keitech/soft plastics and just hunt doormats on hardbaits!
The halibut(flounder relative) absolutely crush the LC FM110 out here on the west coast. You should upgrade your hardware though.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:09 pm

reason162 wrote:
After seeing several trolling videos of them chasing down some jigs, I would agree, very aggressive! You should do well with those jerkbaits, especially since you already know some good areas. I’d try it a lot more but the toothy fish make it difficult in deeper water!

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:26 pm

rocketsurgeon wrote:The halibut(flounder relative) absolutely crush the LC FM110 out here on the west coast. You should upgrade your hardware though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the California halibut is very closely related to the Hirame they have in Japan...and from what I see, both species are targeted in very gradual surf, ie shallow stuff...I see the Japanese use a variety of search baits we normally use for stripers/bluefish here in the northeast for their flatfish.

Here it's all about finding deeper water, even when fishing from shore. Ledges, breaks, dropoffs...inlets etc. Hard to beat a jig in those circumstances, but I'm gonna die trying this year lol.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:28 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:After seeing several trolling videos of them chasing down some jigs, I would agree, very aggressive! You should do well with those jerkbaits, especially since you already know some good areas. I’d try it a lot more but the toothy fish make it difficult in deeper water!
Yeah it would hurt to lose a 110+2 to a bluefish!

In my experience, the little ones will follow and strike over and over, but the big doormats are not breaking cover to chase. Imagine twitch-twitch-pausing a jerkbait right over a big girl...would be epic indeed.

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:02 am

reason162 wrote:
rocketsurgeon wrote:The halibut(flounder relative) absolutely crush the LC FM110 out here on the west coast. You should upgrade your hardware though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the California halibut is very closely related to the Hirame they have in Japan...and from what I see, both species are targeted in very gradual surf, ie shallow stuff...I see the Japanese use a variety of search baits we normally use for stripers/bluefish here in the northeast for their flatfish.

Here it's all about finding deeper water, even when fishing from shore. Ledges, breaks, dropoffs...inlets etc. Hard to beat a jig in those circumstances, but I'm gonna die trying this year lol.
You are correct about the Southern California surf, but north of Point Conception the Pacific fishes like a totally different ocean. I tend to carry an assortment of LC's(FM110's,Surf Pointers,Wanders and their version of a rattle trap that they call the Hagane). New to me this year are the Shimano ARC series minnows that are showing promise and for the deepest areas I am going to try a Jackall charablade with a Keitech fat impact. I really enjoy trying new presentations in my local areas and the JDM options are so refined that I can fine tune my approach to get the results desired. I will die trying also, maybe we'll both go down together :lol: