Showerblow help

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Showerblow help

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:47 pm

I’ve been buying Topwater lures and want to get into the EG arena and get some shower blow
What size though? 105,125 seem okay and normally I’d shoot straight for the middle of the pack. What is the recommendation for bass fishing and what tackle are you using to cast and retrieve. ??!
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Showerblow help

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:30 am

I love these things. Out of the 105 and 125, I prefer the 105. I just have more confidence in it. It catches fish of all sizes. I fish it on a Tatula 711MHRB (7'1", 1/4-1, 10-20, Mod-fast) with an OG Zillion 7.1 & 16# Super Natural mono. Casts like a rocket and is easy to walk and hook up at the end of a looooooong cast.

It's a good idea to have a fairly stiff/powerful rod that still has a fairly moderate taper (not too moderate) to get a good cast, to be able to impart good action to the bait, and to help control the fish during a long fight back without giving it a chance to shake loose. You also want it light and balanced so it doesn't wear you out. I could see going shorter than 7', but for me that would be a setup pretty specific to this type of bait and would limit its effectiveness with the wide range of techniques a setup like this is capable of. Pencil poppers walk really easily, even with a sideways or upward jerking motion, so you might as well go as long as is comfortable.

It's also important to have a faster reel to suck up line easily as you're walking the bait back and to help keep the little bit of slack line you need to get the right action from getting loose on the spool, along with taking up that slack and getting a good sweeping hook set. Lastly, I think fairly heavy mono is crucial to help keep the bait aloft, to keep from fouling in the hooks as with braid, to minimize stretch compared to smaller diameters, to power the fish in, and to reduce the likelihood that you'll lose your new favorite topwater. Super Natural is thin as nylon lines go, so I've considered upping it to 20# on my setup, but it may impact distance, especially with the lighter poppers and propbaits I fish with the same setup.

Good luck!
Last edited by poisonokie on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:34 am

Ever Green makes absolutely top notch baits, BTW, in terms of design, consistency, hooks, hardware, finishes, everything. You should get the OB 68 popper, JT 95 walker, and a squarebill while you're at it.
This is the way.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:52 pm

This lure is super easy to walk.

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:43 am

Reservoir wrote:This lure is super easy to walk.
X2. easiest walking action i've ever done. i'm throwing the 105 size for largemouth.

VAsmallies
Angler
Angler

Post by VAsmallies » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Another vote for the 105. I throw mine on a dobyns 705cb with a chronarch d7 and 30lb 832 braid with a 2ft 16lb mono leader

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:53 pm

125 casts farther, both work excellent

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:09 pm

I've only thrown the 105 and can't see a reason to change. It's one awesome topwater. Dobyns 704 and 30# braid. I don't use a leader personally.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:55 pm

Thanks
I’ve got some on back order. 105 it is
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible