Gan Craft Jointed Claw - is it worth it / colors

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Bigguy
Angler
Angler

Gan Craft Jointed Claw - is it worth it / colors

Post by Bigguy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:11 am

Nothing from I-Cast is really moving me. So, I'm going to get a bunch of baits and not feel guilty about it. I have been eyeing up a jointed claw; but given the $ wanted to get some more info.

1. Is it worth it - (i have an S-Waver like it / don't love it) will the GC get more bites and / or cast better?
2. Size - I'm thinking 178, but i fish a lot of clear water areas with smallies - I don't want to be too big for too many fish.
3. Color - again mostly clear water (5'-10' of visibility and sometimes 20') i'm thinking Nakahira Ayu or ghost chartreuse shad.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gan Craft Jointed Claw - is it worth it / colors

Post by Cal » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Bigguy wrote:1. Is it worth it - (i have an S-Waver like it / don't love it) will the GC get more bites and / or cast better?
Comparing a Jointed Claw next to an S-Waver is like comparing a budget $99 fishing rod to G.Loomis GLX. They are in a different class. The Jointed Claw, arguably, is the bait that started the whole glide bait craze:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewgancraf ... dclaw.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Gotta agree with Cal. I’m not swimbait enthusiast by any means, but both are entirely different. Splurge a little bit and go with Gan Craft. The attention to detail is top notch as is expected with most JDM lures. Also, it looks as though they will be releasing a smaller mode soon. The 128 if I’m not mistaken.
just hotdogin it

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:59 am

Yes.
#08 Ezo Ugui
#16 Waka Ayu
I don't know which iteration of TT it was but there is my story of watching a bass hit my Jointed Claw #148. The reservoir water was gin clear. The bass was huge. I was in awe, pulled the bait away too quickly. That was my tale of woe.
If you can find the Megabass Limber-Lamber, slow sink, that's about the only bait in that price range that would be comparable.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:12 am

hotdogin wrote:The 128 if I’m not mistaken.
Yup.. .and here it is...
DSC06824.jpg
DSC06824.jpg (130.29 KiB) Viewed 14432 times
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bigguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigguy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:13 am

It does sound like it's worth it (not that needed that much convincing). I saw the review and it is what led me to keep looking into the bait.

I'm going to go with the 178 size - my thought is to draw out / catch bigger fish. I have the smallest size Swaver and want to go bigger. Any chance of nailing a good smallie on these? From what I've seen, it looks like mostly LM's.

As to size my other thought is if i'm only getting followers - i can downsize to the 128. And the gap b/w the 178 and 128 is appreciable.

Can't wait to get start throwing this one. Any further input would be appreciated. I generally throw a lot of smaller paddle tail swimsuits, but I'm just starting to throw bigger lures.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:55 am

Bigguy wrote:It does sound like it's worth it (not that needed that much convincing). I saw the review and it is what led me to keep looking into the bait.

I'm going to go with the 178 size - my thought is to draw out / catch bigger fish. I have the smallest size Swaver and want to go bigger. Any chance of nailing a good smallie on these? From what I've seen, it looks like mostly LM's.

As to size my other thought is if i'm only getting followers - i can downsize to the 128. And the gap b/w the 178 and 128 is appreciable.

Can't wait to get start throwing this one. Any further input would be appreciated. I generally throw a lot of smaller paddle tail swimsuits, but I'm just starting to throw bigger lures.
Have you looked at the 148?

Bigguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigguy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:28 pm

I did see the 148, but went with the 178. I'm looking for good fish (3-5#). Also, when pressed for numbers vs quality I'd rather have a shot at a truly big one than catch a couple extra 2-3#'s.

There is also not that much of a size difference between the 178 and 148. 30mm is about 1" to 1.25" - if i like the presentation and think it'll be good for numbers or in a lake with predominately sm - I can downsize to the 128. The 128 might also be nice b.c you could throw it on 15# flouro and a long MH Mod fast rod (a destroyer launcher in my case - love that rod-any excuse to use it). Maybe the the 128 could be a search bait in a tournament situation. There is a lot of experimentation before i get to that conclusion.

Did they mention the MSRP on the 128 :big grin:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:03 am

Bigguy wrote:I did see the 148, but went with the 178. I'm looking for good fish (3-5#). Also, when pressed for numbers vs quality I'd rather have a shot at a truly big one than catch a couple extra 2-3#'s.

There is also not that much of a size difference between the 178 and 148. 30mm is about 1" to 1.25" - if i like the presentation and think it'll be good for numbers or in a lake with predominately sm - I can downsize to the 128. The 128 might also be nice b.c you could throw it on 15# flouro and a long MH Mod fast rod (a destroyer launcher in my case - love that rod-any excuse to use it). Maybe the the 128 could be a search bait in a tournament situation. There is a lot of experimentation before i get to that conclusion.

Did they mention the MSRP on the 128 :big grin:
Gotcha! 8-)

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:39 am

The bait is a looker for sure. I bought a 178 against the advice of a few big bait gurus...long story short mind had terrible action, and I think may have been a faulty bait. It would list to one side and didn’t swim even and would blow out even at slow slow speeds this spring. I read reviews of them taking on water in some cases from users not sure what was up with mine but it was definitely faulty. I think with the Deps 178 and Suicide Glide there are better options available.

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:48 pm

fish arrow glide jack 180 is a tremendous glide bait its a floater though

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:14 am

Looks nice lure. Ordered Gan Craft Jointed Claw 70 Type S 15:
Jointed claw.PNG
Jointed claw.PNG (79.71 KiB) Viewed 6081 times
I really don't know which kind of colour that actually appears. :)

Do anybody know is there anywhere available proper colour charts with good pictures?

In this video was shown very good colour for trout I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyr93LKNOj4&t=180s

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:51 am

Wow the eyes in that picture look different, bigger :-k

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:23 am

Yeh. Super cool lures. I use strong braided lines, and didn't loose many lures last year. Can't wait spring to fish with Jointed claw in a streams :) I found that those are sold in Sweden, actually a little cheaper than on Ebay. But I think they haven't best colours. Those are for Perches I think. But I will try those also for perch. I think it's much more fun than with inline spinners.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found colour chart: https://gancraft.com/lures/jointedclaw70.html
- First one might be colour #11, hard to say, because in video is studio lights…
- Second two ones are colour #18, I think…
- Third one in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyr93LKNOj4&t=82s should be colour #09
- Last one said be as a special.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:12 am

Ordered. That one colour '15' has long trip from Singapore to Finland, estimate is March 10. Maybe next week... Also ordered 3 more from Spain / Elpezrosa. Hoping also those shall also arrive on next week.