Removing 1 hook from baits with 3 trebles

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
versus158
Angler
Angler

Removing 1 hook from baits with 3 trebles

Postby versus158 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:04 am

Hi everyone,

Looking for some help here, seem to be quite stuck with this one. In France the max number of hooks you can have on a bait are 2.
Most of the large topwaters un jerkbaits to some extend come with 3 trebles on them. I gather the most sensible option is removing the middle treble.
On jerkbaits I know that it can take some time to get them suspending with additional weights etc but I can work my way around it...
Biggest question is for topwaters, are they really finicky wioth balance or not quite as bad ? I have quite a few different brands rangins from spooks to diamantes and anything in between, could turn out being quite a mess if they all need different brands of hooks to balance out.

Thank you for reading this and looking forward to your input.

TLDR : are large topwaters really finicky regarding hook weight / size

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Removing 1 hook from baits with 3 trebles

Postby slipperybob » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:31 pm

When it comes to slight adjustment to weights of hooks or removal, try a swivel. As long as one can attach it to the split rings.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby BigG » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:35 am

Fix the hooks where would be one on each side, then cut the bottom hook off. Should be balanced and a little more weedless.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby dhottle » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:50 pm

If your worried about balance the easiest thing to do is eliminate the middle hook & replace the other two hooks with a hook size one size bigger.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Sore Thumb » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:50 am

Have you tried sticky lead strips like the fly fishers use? Or you should be able to source stick on weights or suspend dots easily.

Return to “Hardbaits”