Poppers that "bloop"

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Poppers that "bloop"

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:River2Sea Bubble Popper??? Only color you will ever need is black (Loon)...
Awe yes. The poor man's Pop Max.
And they aren't what I would call real cheap!!! I am actually working on a topwater order right now, Pop, Prop, Walk, Wake.

Anyone know how the Ima Finesse Poppers do??? Also I RARELY topwater fish so I thought it might be a better idea to have a few nice poppers rather than a ton of cheap ones. Is the Duo Popper 64 a good candidate? Hate to hijack a thread but really we are searching for the same thing because poppers are most important to me...
The 64 will make a great addition. I have a few in the rotation
Do you think I would be better off getting 2 of the Duo64's? Or get one of those, one Ima Finesse Popper, etc.? Same goes for walkers and the other categories, trying to decide to go with a few from each class and different brands or would it be better to go with 2-3 known winners?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:15 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:River2Sea Bubble Popper??? Only color you will ever need is black (Loon)...
And they aren't what I would call real cheap!!! I am actually working on a topwater order right now, Pop, Prop, Walk, Wake.

Anyone know how the Ima Finesse Poppers do??? Also I RARELY topwater fish so I thought it might be a better idea to have a few nice poppers rather than a ton of cheap ones. Is the Duo Popper 64 a good candidate? Hate to hijack a thread but really we are searching for the same thing because poppers are most important to me...
Do you think I would be better off getting 2 of the Duo64's? Or get one of those, one Ima Finesse Popper, etc.? Same goes for walkers and the other categories, trying to decide to go with a few from each class and different brands or would it be better to go with 2-3 known winners?
Good question. Some are in camp go with what I know works, others prefer variety. For me with top water, I prefer variety. Mostly because I don't lose top water baits often like other hardbaits. If you don't get a lot of time on the water, it's hard to rotate through several different baits, especially enough to give them a fair shake to know what they're capable of. I have a lot of various top water baits, mostly jdm jackall stuff. Lots of cool stuff, but I find myself reaching for my Binksy most often because of its versatility and lip ripping ability.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

I ordered the 64's big brother the fangpop, deps pulse code, and super pop-r. I like bigger poppers cause I use a 7MH rod, #14-17 mono, and hammer handle pike are a bit less likely to take them. The smaller ones for friends who don't know how to use casting gear.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Pulse Cod \:D/ is a bad dude

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:43 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Pulse Cod \:D/ is a bad dude
Just looked that Deps up... Cool looking bait and about the right size. As far as the other comment goes, I should have no issue casting the Duo64 on casting gear. Going to use a 6'6"Medium (fast) Avid X w/ Zillion TWS (BFS spool) w/ 30lb Sufix braid and a really short mono leader to cut down on tangles. Does anyone else just use straight braid on poppers???

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:47 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Just looked that Deps up... Cool looking bait and about the right size. As far as the other comment goes, I should have no issue casting the Duo64 on casting gear. Going to use a 6'6"Medium (fast) Avid X w/ Zillion TWS (BFS spool) w/ 30lb Sufix braid and a really short mono leader to cut down on tangles. Does anyone else just use straight braid on poppers???
I did, and then I remembered how much I hate braid. I use 11 lb green OG Defier

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:01 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
I am weird about braid. Really liked it fishing small jigs with 30lb for SM bass. The combo I spoke of I like it, but hate using even a slightly long (3-4ft) leader because of the damn Avid X micro guides. Recently I found out it can take it though so I am just rolling with it and hoping a break would have them send me a better suited rod. Braid makes your spool lighter so that's good for finesse fisherman like me, but there is just still something I don't really like. I am tempted still to just load that whole shallow semi BFS spool with 10-12lb mono. What is OG Defier? Some of the Sunline mono reviews scared me off a bit...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:35 pm

One lure I have not heard anyone mention was the old excalibur pop'n image.
THAT was a true work horse and it makes that BLOOP that you seek. they weren't the best looking but they worked
and I've even spray painted them black when they got to the point where the finish was peeling. If you can find one
try it, shouldn't cost too much but they certainly do work!!!!!
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:32 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
I am weird about braid. Really liked it fishing small jigs with 30lb for SM bass. The combo I spoke of I like it, but hate using even a slightly long (3-4ft) leader because of the damn Avid X micro guides. Recently I found out it can take it though so I am just rolling with it and hoping a break would have them send me a better suited rod. Braid makes your spool lighter so that's good for finesse fisherman like me, but there is just still something I don't really like. I am tempted still to just load that whole shallow semi BFS spool with 10-12lb mono. What is OG Defier? Some of the Sunline mono reviews scared me off a bit...
It's just the green original Sunline Defier. Best mono on the planet

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:26 am

I like the yellow magic