Poppers that "bloop"

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Poppers that "bloop"

Post by Obz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:09 am

I like bigger poppers the 3.5" skitter pop was my favorite but I believe they have changed.. Looking for other options. I bought a few pop max's gonna give them a go today. I'm also open to smaller baits that can be used on spinning gear, some of my friends aren't privy to the baitcaster. I'd be a little salty if a guest lost a pop max so, more affordable suggestions would too, be appreciated. I'm not a fan of the spitters :lol: Its all about the bloop/chug.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Poppers that "bloop"

Post by Obz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:17 am

Ooh looks like a Deps pulse code might fit the bill.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:11 am

Rebel Super Pop-R, it is 3-1/8" long and only weighs 5/16oz. I fish spitting poppers when the fish aren't very aggressive or the water is clear but when I want that "bloop" sound the super pop-r is what I like. The best part for you is that it is heavy enough to fish with casting gear yet is still light enough for a spinning set up and the size draws big strikes. It also comes in colors that will work if you have clear water, one of the best values in a popper that is on the market and it fits your criteria.
Barlow's Tackle

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:51 am

You can still get Hula Poppers in a variety of sizes for around $5.00. They definitely "bloop".
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:52 pm

It all could be on how you stroke the lure :-k you should like the pop max that is my favorite popper obviously aesthetically it is sexy have tons of colors, limited and standard bait fish patterns to choose from but it also has form. I can actually walk the pop max when I using a snap, not sure if that is a phenomenon across all poppers but I think the way line is connected to the upper portion of the lip it enables it at least for me to be able to walk it I would assume others have the same scenario :-k

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:53 pm

Anyway so you should be able to get good bloops out of that one :big grin:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:21 pm

The poppers that have bigger mouths that are not angled will bloop the most. As already said, the Hula Popper is the king of the bloop, and the Pop-R is good also. You can sand the bottom lip of most blooping poppers to give them more of a spitting action. The spitting action tends to be better around schools of shad in clear water that are flickering on the surface. The spitting looks like a shad that is fleeing. I like the blooping action around isolated cover, in water that has some color, and at night.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:36 pm

smalljaw wrote:Rebel Super Pop-R, it is 3-1/8" long and only weighs 5/16oz. I fish spitting poppers when the fish aren't very aggressive or the water is clear but when I want that "bloop" sound the super pop-r is what I like. The best part for you is that it is heavy enough to fish with casting gear yet is still light enough for a spinning set up and the size draws big strikes. It also comes in colors that will work if you have clear water, one of the best values in a popper that is on the market and it fits your criteria.
Awesome! Thanks!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Cristo wrote:It all could be on how you stroke the lure :-k you should like the pop max that is my favorite popper obviously aesthetically it is sexy have tons of colors, limited and standard bait fish patterns to choose from but it also has form. I can actually walk the pop max when I using a snap, not sure if that is a phenomenon across all poppers but I think the way line is connected to the upper portion of the lip it enables it at least for me to be able to walk it I would assume others have the same scenario :-k
Haha, I think I still got the touch. I've been using the same rod and line for Topwater for 15 years. The last 5 skitter pops I bought from 2 different retailers haven't ran the same.. Makes me think its not a quality control issue. I still have 2 "older" ones that run the way they should. I liked the popmax but didn't draw any strikes. Caught a couple on the dynamite walker though.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:51 pm

toddmc wrote:The poppers that have bigger mouths that are not angled will bloop the most. As already said, the Hula Popper is the king of the bloop, and the Pop-R is good also. You can sand the bottom lip of most blooping poppers to give them more of a spitting action. The spitting action tends to be better around schools of shad in clear water that are flickering on the surface. The spitting looks like a shad that is fleeing. I like the blooping action around isolated cover, in water that has some color, and at night.
We don't have shad up north, here. I've caught fish on the skitter pop in clear water, stained water, all times of day. The deep bloop calls them up. I like the chug bug in stained water. Not super stoked on rattles in clear water. I'm going to try that Super Pop R. I might be missing out but the look of the hook a popper is tough for me to get around.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:52 pm

*hula popper

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:41 am

River2Sea Bubble Popper??? Only color you will ever need is black (Loon)...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:13 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:River2Sea Bubble Popper??? Only color you will ever need is black (Loon)...
Awe yes. The poor man's Pop Max.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:River2Sea Bubble Popper??? Only color you will ever need is black (Loon)...
And they aren't what I would call real cheap!!! I am actually working on a topwater order right now, Pop, Prop, Walk, Wake.

Anyone know how the Ima Finesse Poppers do??? Also I RARELY topwater fish so I thought it might be a better idea to have a few nice poppers rather than a ton of cheap ones. Is the Duo Popper 64 a good candidate? Hate to hijack a thread but really we are searching for the same thing because poppers are most important to me...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:50 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
And they aren't what I would call real cheap!!! I am actually working on a topwater order right now, Pop, Prop, Walk, Wake.

Anyone know how the Ima Finesse Poppers do??? Also I RARELY topwater fish so I thought it might be a better idea to have a few nice poppers rather than a ton of cheap ones. Is the Duo Popper 64 a good candidate? Hate to hijack a thread but really we are searching for the same thing because poppers are most important to me...
The 64 will make a great addition. I have a few in the rotation