line type for Wakebait (MB - I Jack)

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Bigguy
Angler
Angler

line type for Wakebait (MB - I Jack)

Post by Bigguy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:10 pm

I am looking to try throwing some wake baits this year. I picked up an I-Jack and a few others. What type of line are you throwing your wake baits on? Fluor (i.e. like a square bill) or mono / braid-mono (like a topwater). Thanks for the help.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: line type for Wakebait (MB - I Jack)

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Definitely a floating line - either mono or braid (or braid to mono is fine too)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:54 pm

The I-Jack is kind of unique.

When I think wake baits, I generally throw Slammers, Rats, etc.. ... big baits and that usually calls for 20lb and up nylon mono.

I fish the I-Jack on fluoro... usually 12lb Tatsu. The I-Jack is much more subsurface than your typical wake bait, so the sinking tendencies of fluoro don't impact the bait that much and I like the increased resistance to abrasion compared to mono and the lower visibility compared to braid.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Really you can fish that with any line IMHO. I actually like fluorocarbon personally on that particular one as Cal said it's a little unique. I fish the similar to the Mikey from Jackall in regards to line choice you really can have your pic honestly in my opinion. One of my favorite topwater baits for sure I even get bit by a fishing with that thing so enjoy that I Jack :big grin:

Bigguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigguy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:13 am

I did end up fishing it on Flouro. Not the right conditions - about 2' of visibility. But it's a super cool lure.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:27 am

I love the I-Jack and the I-Loud
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible